The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

The Enhanced Political Quiz...in 2D

This political test is a little different than the rest. It has short descriptions of what the questions related to and links to help you better understand what exactly the result mean.
I was suprised by my result. I thought i
http://www.quiz2d.com/

Description
Your views call roughly the same amount of government with just a bit more liberty than we currently have in the United States today. Thus, your views are probably best served by a nearly equal mix of Democrats and Republicans in the legislatures, with just a few Libertarians thrown into the mix to nudge things in the direction of smaller government.
Note that I said just a few Libertarians. The Libertarian Party calls for far less government than you want. Think of a tub of cold bathwater. To get it warm enough to be comfortable, you add hot water, not ideal temperature water. Adding a few hot-blooded lovers of liberty to balance out the authoritarians in the legislatures is one way of getting what you want.
Freedom, equality, morality, nature,...these are all good things. All to often, political debate rages over which is more important. Synergies get overlooked. There is a better way, holistic politics. By looking at multiple values at the same time, it is possible to come up with creative solutions for the world's problems, solutions that make all the factions more happy.

Last edited by skysidhe; 03-26-2007 at 08:14 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Ibby
erika

Uh... what's wrong with The Political Compass?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
Getting a second opinion can be useful. Plus this puts the results in the perspective of the current legislature. Although, a phrase like "your views are probably best served by a nearly equal mix of Democrats and Republicans in the legislatures" is both generally good advice and difficult to apply more specifically.

Democrats and Republicans both have individuals who vary from centrist to extreme. Noone would confuse the late and unlamented Rick Santorum with Olympia Snow, who's centrist views (and common sense) put her at odds with President Bush.

From here:

Quote:
The picture said it all: Susan Collins, Republican senator from Maine, at the state dinner last week. Not only at the dinner but placed in the best seat in the house--right next to George W. Bush. "It was the president's idea," coos a top White House adviser. "He really likes Susan." Absent (that is, not invited) was the senior Republican senator from Maine, Olympia Snowe. Even by Washington standards, it was a pretty good snub.

"The president wanted to say thanks" to Collins, says an aide, because she wound up supporting his $350 billion tax cut after holding back at the outset. The state's other moderate, Snowe, just couldn't get with the administration's program. "I came up against my principles and came back time and time again to the things I most believe in," Snowe told me last week. "I feel badly I disagree with the president, but you have to weigh what you can live with at the end of the day."

It's not that Collins caved. She didn't. In fact, she was part of a group that pushed the administration to add $20 billion in state aid to the tax bill. But for Snowe, the issue was different: It was about swallowing the huge cost and gimmickry of the tax cuts that will allegedly expire in three to five years--but really won't. Snowe calls the package a "trillion-dollar tax cut masquerading at $350 billion." In her conversation with me, she pointed out that she has spent her entire career in politics "talking about deficits and balanced budgets." Most Americans also seem just as skittish about tax cuts: According to last week's Wall Street Journal /NBC News poll, only 29 percent of voters believe that tax cuts are the best way to increase economic growth. A majority also say that, instead of tax cuts, they would prefer to see Washington provide money to help pay for health coverage.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Bullseye!

I just took the test and found it interesting but much less complex than the original political compass. There were too few questions for an accurate sampling.

While the original political compass put me at Libertarian-Left, this one put me dead center, even though I voted against government involvement in certain personal issues.

Of course, since most of the country voted for change in the last election, maybe I am the new center.
Attached Images

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
I don't know. Where is it? :p

so I liked the facts at the end of this one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I just took the test and found it interesting but much less complex than the original political compass. There were too few questions for an accurate sampling.

While the original political compass put me at Libertarian-Left, this one put me dead center, even though I voted against government involvement in certain personal issues.

Of course, since most of the country voted for change in the last election, maybe I am the new center.
You might be! I thought for sure I was a liberal! Yes second opinons are useful.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Last edited by Shawnee123; 09-25-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
rkzenrage

Old 12-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
Flint
Snowflake

I got stuck on Question #2. I didn't agree with any of the options.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
What would be a viable option to you?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

The problems are that restricted material is not defined (therefore is arbitrary) and #2 the fines have been increased and are now used to punish the individual (not just the broadcast entity). The result is that the individual performer/artist/personality lives in fear of financial ruin for saying/doing something which they won't be informed they shouldn't have said/done, until after they say/do it. How much artistic freedom do you expect to see flourish under a system like that?

Old 12-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i'm a freakin radical libertarian. wow. not that the quiz was leading in any way at all.

Quote:
1. what is your political affilliation?

a. Im a fucking slime bag liberal that wants a free ride
b. I'm a dirty fascist pig republican
c. I'm too stupid to figure it out so i vote moderate
d. I'm smart enough, and good looking enough to count myself among the purest, kindest, most honorable Libertarians there are.

not really a quote. i made it all up
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

none of these options come anywhere near my opinion:

Quote:
Yes! The government should own the air waves. We need a system like the BBC.
How does this even address the question of content regulation?
Quote:
Yes. We need less sex, less violence, and/or more "educational" TV.
Sex and Violence should be treated as two different subjects.
Quote:
Yes. The current level of FCC power is about right.
I don't think everything is 100% peachy, so I can't vote this way.
Quote:
No. Let broadcasters choose content and format. Only require that they scramble the really rude stuff.
This doesn't address the problems of arbitrary material or fines against individuals.
Quote:
No! Any government censorship is intolerable. Give broadcasters the same freedoms of expression enjoyed by publishers of books and magazines -- including how much sex, violence and crude language.
I don't want to see "goatse" on my TV, under any circumstances.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint

then go on with the next questionor don't...it's just a fun thing and obviously flawed in it's results measure because I am pretty sure I am a liberal bleeding heart who wants to give every government dime away to the needy people.

That said I am not into special interest groups and gay rights.

I am into allowing a person to die with dignity,have an abortion and own a gun as long as it isn't an assault weapon.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
i'm a freakin radical libertarian. wow. not that the quiz was leading in any way at all.
1. what is your political affilliation?

a. Im a fucking slime bag liberal that wants a free ride
b. I'm a dirty fascist pig republican
c. I'm too stupid to figure it out so i vote moderate
d. I'm smart enough, and good looking enough to count myself among the purest, kindest, most honorable Libertarians there are.
not really a quote. i made it all up
Right on!
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Of course it is mainly leading because we were taught to believe we were free back in school but our system bears little resemblance to our revolutionary ideology. They want me to run for Congress.