The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-28-2002, 01:55 AM   #1
Nic Name
retired

Politically Incorrect

In 1993 Bill Maher created the perfect forum for his quick-witted, comedic talents — Politically Incorrect. On Comedy Central, he had brought together some of the most interesting politicians, entertainers, and journalists to participate in some of the most controversial, topical, and comical discussions. Winners of four CableACE Awards combined, Maher and his program have grown in popularity year to year, eventually catching the attention — in 1997 — of ABC, and capturing the post-Nightline time slot.

Maher, inspired by the show's success, assembled some of P.I.'s most memorable highlights in his book, Does Anybody Have a Problem With That?: Politically Incorrect's Greatest Hits. In it, Maher offers tongue-in-cheek commentary on such modest proposals as putting warning labels on the Bible, why we should have drunk-driving lanes, and his regular "Get Over Yourself Award," given to such notables as Newt Gingrich, Santa Claus and the O.J. Simpson defense team. He also offers a collection of some of the funniest and most insightful thoughts of P.I.'s panelists, including Ben Affleck, Marilyn Manson, Ann Richards, Pamela Anderson Lee, Oliver Stone, Ron Howard, Arianna Huffington, and Janeane Garofalo.

I thought we should save these accolades from the abc (always be correct) website.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nic Name; 06-28-2002 at 01:58 AM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 02:03 AM   #2
Nic Name
retired

stay tuned ...

Domain Name: politicallyincorrect.tv

Record expires on: Jun 27 2003
Record created on: Jun 27 2002

Domain Name Servers:
dns5.name-services.com
dns4.name-services.com
dns3.name-services.com
dns2.name-services.com
dns1.name-services.com

Registrar Name: eNom
Registrar Whois Information: whois.enom.com

The data in The .tv Corp. whois database is provided by The .tv Corp. to assist persons in obtaining information about or related to a domain name registration record. .tv does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a whois query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances, will you use this data to allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commerical advertising or solicitations via e-mail (spam). The .tv Corp. reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.

In the meantime, we can still see Bill Maher at: http://www.billmaher.tv/

Last edited by Nic Name; 06-28-2002 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:26 AM   #3
juju
no one of consequence

I think i'm missing something. Why did you copy and paste text directly from PI's website? Is PI going off the air?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 04:45 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
I think i'm missing something. Why did you copy and paste text directly from PI's website? Is PI going off the air?
Yes...it's done. I believe Ted Koppel is doing some interview show after Nightline until January, when a new show with Jimmy Kimmel debuts.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 07:19 PM   #5
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Yes...it's done. I believe Ted Koppel is doing some interview show after Nightline until January, when a new show with Jimmy Kimmel debuts.
Well, thats closer to the speed of the average American anyway
Old 07-13-2002, 07:32 PM   #6
elSicomoro

I like Kimmel on The Man Show, but I wonder what he's going to be doing on ABC.

As far as Bill Maher, I liked P.I., although I liked it better when it was still on Comedy Central. ABC seemed to let it do its own thing though. I think he killed the show with the comment he made after 9/11. I personally didn't see a problem with it, but apparently most folks did.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:49 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Agreed all around. Kimmel will surely do something lowbrow, which won't fit after Nightline, and his potential audience will already be watching something else. At least with P.I. you had something that could keep the Nightline audience.

ABC is going to try to go after the 20-somethings, sensing that Letterman can't appeal to the kids any longer at his age, and sensing that Leno is quite average and is vulnerable.

HBO's Dennis Miller Live is also going away, and that sucks. Someone smarter than me pointed out that both Maher and Miller are, in the same vein as Carlin and the late Bill Hicks, comics who are really looking to tell the truth. In the words of Carlin, "Doing things the government doesn't want you to do: THINKING!" To lose both Maher and Carlin in the same season is sad. On the other hand, we still have Jon Stewart and the Daily Show.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 07:57 PM   #8
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
. On the other hand, we still have Jon Stewart and the Daily Show.
Thats been getting worse though. Less and less news, more and more gimmicks. Still funny, just not sure it still quaifies to carry to banner of infotainment. ..
Old 07-13-2002, 08:00 PM   #9
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
ABC is going to try to go after the 20-somethings, sensing that Letterman can't appeal to the kids any longer at his age, and sensing that Leno is quite average and is vulnerable.
Sounds like they're shooting themselves in the foot. Leno and Letterman seem pretty popular with most age groups. And while I personally like Nightline (though I don't watch it), you just KNOW that few people my age are really watching it.

Quote:
To lose both Maher and Carlin in the same season is sad. On the other hand, we still have Jon Stewart and the Daily Show.
You meant Miller, right?

I think Miller lost some cred with the MNF deal. I love Dennis Miller, but he sucks at football. He should bounce back just fine though.

It took a while for Stewart to really fit in on the Daily Show, but he's taken to it incredibly well.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:28 AM   #10
Nic Name
retired

JD Lasica, columnist for Online Journalism Review, has issued an invitation ot Bill Maher to start a blog.

Good idea.

How 'bout it Bill? Quit lukin' in the Cellar and get yer ass bloggin'.

Now here's a thought. Can you imagine Politically Incorrect as a vBulletin forum moderated by Bill Maher, where the online community could join in the discussion and debate with Maher and his selected guests?

Like the IotD blogview, Maher could run a daily PI topic, but the threads could continue indefinitely according to community interest.

Tony, you'd better give Bill a call and offer to set up his new show in cyberspace.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:54 AM   #11
Nic Name
retired

Doc Searls chimes in on this with this blogpost.

Maher does have a forum thing going at, check this url out ...

http://www.safesearching.com/boards/...cgi?category=6

which is linked off his site: www.billmaher.tv

but it's not what it could be, using vBulletin and running it as Politically Incorrect online.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:00 PM   #12
Nic Name
retired

For those who missed Larry King Live @ 9:00 p.m. Eastern ..

Bill Maher in his first TV appearance since Politically Incorrect cancelled.

Repeats at midnight & 3:00 a.m. Eastern.