The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 04-01-2003, 01:52 AM   #1
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

The Bing

Rod Serling was from Binghamton. And hell, then it was considered a nice place to live. Wierd energy here. In a crowd of any size you can always tell someone from this town. There is a flavor of mean spirited humor here that you can't find anywhere else. We are also the carosel capitol of the world and home of the that food of the god's spedies.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:18 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

What in the name of those gods are "spedies"?

It doesn't sound like something that should be edible ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

gee wolf, its amazing what you can find with google.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:39 AM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

actually, if hes referring to these, they do look quite tasty.

~james
Old 04-02-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I checked google. It sent me to that one recipe, which may or may not be for what he's referring to, an elementary school page where someone misspelled "species", and a lot of guest book entries that MENTION spedies, without elaboration on what they actually are.

That's why I wuz askin'.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-02-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I checked google. It sent me to that one recipe, which may or may not be for what he's referring to, an elementary school page where someone misspelled "species", and a lot of guest book entries that MENTION spedies, without elaboration on what they actually are.

That's why I wuz askin'.
im just hassling you because of the bug thread. i saw the species misspellings and thought that would add to the joke. sf, what exactly are spedies?

~james
Old 04-02-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

You can buy Lupos spiedie sauce on-line here. Stay away from Salamida brand because he is known to be what we in the consumin' business call an ASSHOLE. He tried to copyright the name spiedie when it was already in common use here 'bouts for all these marinated meat products, made by various Italian families in the area. My favorite is the Buffalo style spiedie from Spiedie and Rib Pit next to BU. Speidies, lettuce, tomato, blue cheese dressing, and hot sauce on a hoagie roll. Lamb is best but chicken, pork, and venison are also commonly used.

Binghamton has the Senator's AHL hockey franchise at the Veterans Arena and the New York Mets AA baseball team at a beautiful ballpark named for the local electric power monopoly. Its taken some economic hits but I still like the place.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:06 PM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

so spiedie (griffs spelling helped ) is more about the marinade than the actual food product itself? i found quite a few kebab-type dishes, and a couple sandwich dishes, but the only common thread seemed to be the need for spiedie marinade.

~james
Old 04-02-2003, 05:13 PM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

a-ha
Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 PM   #10
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Yah, Bing is nice. Too bad it's in NY.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
Yah, Bing is nice. Too bad it's in NY.
Yep, that's its biggest problem. When dummycrats run NYS they treat business with contempt driving the work down South. When the Repugnants run the state they take care of favored read connected businesses giving them sweet deals while taxing the stink outa everyone else. IBM which grew up in Endicott has been lured down toward Poughkeepsie with all kinds of taxpayer financed treats under the "pro-business" Repugs. NY politics are absolutely evil.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:27 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
a-ha
*drool*

I will be considering the possibility of actually venturing forth into the frightening, lawful, unarmed wilds of NYS.

Hmm. Mebbe I'll just whip up a batch of the marinade instead.

This looks GOOD.

Does anyone know where that fabled King of Prussia location is? And if it's still in business?

Old 04-03-2003, 10:05 AM   #13
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
*drool*
my sentiments exactly. im gonna try it out this weekend. the recipes i saw varied wildly in their ingredients. maybe someone who knows can give us an authoritative recipe.

~james
Old 04-07-2003, 12:27 AM   #14
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Stay away from Salamida brand because he is known to be what we in the consumin' business call an ASSHOLE. He tried to copyright the name spiedie when it was already in common use here 'bouts for all these marinated meat products, made by various Italian families in the area.
I went to high school with his daughter. And ya know? She was a bitch. Lupo's are my favorites. The real secret to the perfect spiedie is the bread. Don't be givin me no spiedie's on no sub roll. Grammar aside, there are only two bakeries (both local) that make the bread the right consistency. They are Felix Roma and Dirienzo's. The bread has to be made a little tougher to hold together as you yank the spiedies off the skewer cause they tend to cook on there pretty stubbornly. As to the charms in the city itself I don't find much anymore except two and they are only a block away from each other. One is the cullpola in Rec Park, it was featured in a Twilight Zone episode as the center of the universe. The other is on Laurel Ave but only in the summer times. On the west side of the street is a house with a nice little terraced garden next to their driveway. No big deal, except, there aren't flowers planted in this garden, but rather every sort of kitchen utensil a person can imagine. In the last several years they have begun painting them all a uniform color except for around the tree at the top which is reserved for just forks, spoons, and knives but in different colors. I'll take some pictures once its been set up for the summer, should be in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:08 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

I believe the Spiedie and Rib Pit folks are cousins of Lupos but there's some kind of family feud there. Excellent observation on the roll, Romas and Dirienzo are both excellent bakeries and those rolls hold up.

As far as making your own marinade, I've never had great success. Its basically an Italian dressing type spice blend but more subtle. I usually pick up Lupos or Middendorfs. When I was a kid, Middendorfs used to run a bbq out here that was major yummy chicken, steak, fries in there skins, salads etc...