The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

CraigsList Scam

I was looking through the cars on Craigslist last night, when I came across a 2002 Honda Accord selling for only $3000. The picture displayed looked good but it didn't include the mileage. Assuming it probably had some ridiculous amount of miles on it a emailed the seller and asked "how many miles". I received this reply back from the seller when I woke up this morning:

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me so fast. The car is in excellent condition, no rust, accidents or any kind of damage anywhere and it doesn't need any maintenance. The odometer shows 66,320 miles and the car gets 27/ 34 mpg. The car has a clean history and if you want to see it I'll send you the report. Title is clear and free of liens. This 2002 Honda Accord Ex has an automatic transmission and it's very easy to drive. Everything on the car works as it should.
My asking price is $3000. At this time I have some personal problems and I need to sell the car as fast as possible because I need the money. This is my only reason for selling this beauty otherwise I wouldn't do it.
The deal will be handled by Web Auto Trades (webatrades.com). I have a contract with this company and they will handle the title, money transfer and deliver the car to your location. Currently the car is at their office. The best part about this is that they have a 5-days money back guarantee program. If at the end of those 5 days you decide not to keep the car you'll get a full refund from them. If you want the car and if you have the money available all you have to do now is to register a free account with them and get back to me with the e-mail address you used. As soon as I hear that you registered I will start the deal through them. The process is very simple and risk free for both of us.

A picture album can be seen here: http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/ctynw/

Thanks,
Cathy Norman
This sounded waay too good to be true so I decided to do some research on this escrow site "webatrades.com" and came up with this link: http://blog.lrdesign.com/2008/05/lik...webatradescom/

if you scroll down to the comments you can see it's a complete scam. I haven't replied back to the scammer yet, any suggestions?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

We haven't mentioned kicking anyone in the cunt in awhile. This could be your time to shine, mon! Err... Mons!
Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

This site is dedicated to scamming the scammers that try to scam you. Lead them along, make them jump through hoops, waste their time, and, in the most expert move of all, actually scam them out of their money. How does it work? They are so greedy, they'll do anything if they think they will get something out of it. But be careful, don't expose yourself to danger.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I like the part where it says what "the odometer shows"!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleschmutz View Post
We haven't mentioned kicking anyone in the cunt in awhile. This could be your time to shine, mon! Err... Mons!
Attached Images

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
This site is dedicated to scamming the scammers that try to scam you. Lead them along, make them jump through hoops, waste their time, and, in the most expert move of all, actually scam them out of their money. How does it work? They are so greedy, they'll do anything if they think they will get something out of it. But be careful, don't expose yourself to danger.
Thank you for that site! I've been laughing all afternoon. "Dead Parrot" sketch