Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
An interesting little blog piece comparing experiences of American and British healthcare.

http://jontillman.com/2011/02/22/us-...al-comparison/
Food for thought. I especially liked the comments on "rationing." Why people here in the US don't understand that medical care here is rationed is beyond me. If you are out of work or if your employer doesn't offer health insurance, you are screwed. Health care for low income Americans is abysmal and life expectancies in parts of America - especially the South - are actually dropping. When it comes to life expectancy world wide, I believe the US now stands at 17. And our infant mortality rate compared with that of other nations is a national scandal.

As your article points out, the US spends almost twice the percentage of it's GPD on health care than the UK does (15% vs 8%), yet the UK has universal health coverage for its citizens while a large minority of US citizens go without.

I am baffled by the whining here about how wonderful private medical care in the US is when our system is extremely costly and run for the benefit of big pharma and doctors who play the system for kick backs, etc. The patient is steam rolled in the scramble for the dollar.

Yeah guys, US medical care is just great. NOT!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote