The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-28-2004, 10:18 AM   #16
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target

Will you argue that people are more intelligent than whales? People do stupid things that cause themselves harm. Is it not imaginable that a creature of less intelligence might do the same thing?
People are more intelligent in some ways than animals such as whales. No, a whale can't write a novel or program a computer, but there's a helluva lot of things animals can do that people can't. I'm still amazed at dogs and their sense of smell. It may not be that they are more intelligent than humans, but in that particular respect they are superior to us. I know almost zero about whales, but I'm guessing they're superior to humans in certain ways as well. To blame a whale beaching itself solely on the animal's "stupidity" is, in my opinion, unintelligent.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:23 AM   #17
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Some animals that are considered to be highly intelligent kill their offspring. Is that a capability you have considered?
Intelligence has nothing to do with the ability, desire or perceived need to kill.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens

Last edited by Cyber Wolf; 09-28-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:57 PM   #18
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
God told me it's George Will.
Even George Wills has problems with some of what George Jr is doing to this country.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:00 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Beachings or strandings as people in the industry call them have happened since before recorded time. There is no evidence it is more prevolent now than ever before and only heresay and questionable motives tie it to shipping.

It is true that certain frequency sonar does though and that frequency corresponds directly with the shockwaves created by an earthquake on the ocean floor though the range is miniscule in comparison.
Good reasoning until we apply numbers. Junk science reasoning hates numbers. Since an underwater earthquake of a few seconds every so many years creates noise, then new sonar continuously, so much closer to mammal as to have higher dB levels, and being used continuously instead does not do any animal damage. Sorry. Even the US Navy conceded rather quickly that some of the mass mammal stranding were probably a result of their new sonar. That the resulting brain damage to some mammal brains may have been a direct consequence of their new and more powerful sonar. Sorry I have to add some facts and numbers to your speculations.

The real quesiton is not whether noise is causing that problem. Only extremists without facts would deny that. The real question is how much worse will it get, what will be the ultimate consequence if we don't deal with it, and how easily can the problem be solved. After all, more efficient ships should also make less ocean noise. Notice the difference. Asking questions based upon science verses speculation based upon political agenda and junk science reasoning.

The question really has become one of - is this the canary in a coal mine? These same people who would deny a potential ocean noise problem also deny that six of the seven major world fisheries are in serious danger of collapsing or have already failed. It helps to first learn facts before listening to Rush Limbaugh and personal biases.

Last edited by tw; 09-28-2004 at 06:09 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:50 PM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

You know what? It's still really sad. Death is a natural, beautiful part of life, but I hate to see a baby anything die.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 09-28-2004 at 05:50 PM. Reason: shitful grammar
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:21 PM   #21
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

I'm with you there Brianna, I hate seeing any baby animal suffer so much. I love watching animal documentaries (always watching Animal Planet on Foxtel), but I still cringe when I see any baby animal being killed or dying, be it natural or caused my us horrible humans. Especially hate seeing baby elephants being killed or dying.
Poor little whale.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #22
chrisinhouston
Professor

Can't that lady push the whale out in the surf and then climb on her. I saw that Whale Rider movie and it really worked!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:12 PM   #23
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Except in Whale rider, the person wasn't the whale sized being of the two...
Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #24
jaclyn8700
Alphabetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
Looks like 2 beached whales in that photo.
that's cold.

but true..
jaclyn8700 is offline   Reply With Quote