The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #316
ArcReforged
Insert Random Title Here

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card. Classic stuff.
Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind - The sequels, also great, classic stuff.

The latter 3 include a lot of philosophy. Interesting read for any deep thinkers.
ArcReforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #317
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I finally got to "Devil in the White City". Very good.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:05 PM   #318
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I think that I will bounce into the closeout section at Barnes and Noble and buy another box of books.

If I spend $25, I get free shipping and about 10-15 titles of books and software.

So far it's a book on birdwatching, a book and software on quotations, 'In Search of America' by Peter Jennings, and a few others on various political and social topics, including My Peoples Waltz.

This should provide some reading material for my next business trip.

Unfortunately, with 1334 items under $2, I'm getting information overload. Plus the fact they only list 10 per page and I can't find a way to change that.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:31 PM   #319
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh shit.

I totally did NOT need to see that.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #320
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Oh shit.

I totally did NOT need to see that.
Did I mention the extra %5 discount for AAA members if you go in from the AAA web site?

Actually, it's a weird experience. My shopping cart went from $25 to $35 between moving to correct something. One of the books went out-of-stock and the price jumped.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:46 AM   #321
Torrere
a real smartass

I've been reading the letters of Richard Feynman (Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track). Some of them are funny, others are powerful, and I think they give a good picture of him. I wish that they included more early, early letters from when he was my age. I'm tempted to find and read compilations of letters by other people.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:28 AM   #322
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh, man. I didn't need to see that either. I've read several of Feynman's books as well as several books about Feynman, including the one that was a part of the Cellar Book Club. (If anyone with more initiative than I have wants to get that started again, that would be really cool *hint* *hint*)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-29-2005, 01:25 AM   #323
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

I'm just finishing "Angels & Demons" from Dan Brown.

Also just finished "American Hardcore" from Simon Blush.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #324
Maui Nick
... is not really in Maui. Weird, huh?

About 2 months ago, I picked David Weber's On Basilisk Station (the first Honor Harrington novel) off my bookshelf and reread it -- I owned the first two books in the series and had for many years but life had gotten in the way after that.

Now I own all the books in the series and have been reading them in order. I'm a third of the way through War of Honor and have Shadow of Saganami (the next-to-last book released) and the new hardcover of At All Costs (1) waiting behind it; once I get through the latter I'll be up-to-date.

(1) Which comes with a CD-ROM containing just about everything David Weber has ever written. Sweet.
Maui Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #325
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Games People Play
Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #326
maffick
Maffick

Post What I am reading / read

I just finished "Freakonomics" liked it. I also just finished "Amazing Maurice and his educated rodents" by Pratchett, loved it... I am currently reading "The life of John Muir" - very intereting (not right this minute of course!) I am also reading http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...lance&n=283155 "First Great Triumph: How Five Americans Made Their Country a World Power" which is sortof good, but looooong.... It is bascially a history of our imperialism....
maffick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #327
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Jorge Luis Borges: Collected Fictions, translated by Andrew Hurley. Very strange and interesting short stories.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #328
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Wow. I had no idea that still existed. I thought TA went the way of Primal Scream therapy. (although one of my schizophrenic gaming friends did go to The Primal Institute in California where they gave him a radical cashectomy and in return added some interesting flavoring to his pre-existing delusional systems. Last I heard, by the way, he was working for the IRS.)

Old 01-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #329
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Nick
About 2 months ago, I picked David Weber's On Basilisk Station (the first Honor Harrington novel) off my bookshelf and reread it -- I owned the first two books in the series and had for many years but life had gotten in the way after that.
Welcome to The Cellar, Maui Nick!!

Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #330
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just finished: The Truth About Chernobyl - Grigori Medveyev

(minute by minute account of the disaster, and the several days following, including details of some amazing clusterfucks along the way)

Mildly hard to grasp ... this year marks the 20th anniversary.

Tags
books