The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #16
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I worked one 8-hour day at a tire recycling plant. We went around in a big panel truck picking up old tires piled behind garages, etc. Found some of the nastiest crap inside those tires.. ugh. All sloshing around as I swung each tire up and into the back of the truck.. I threw away the clothes I wore that day they stunk so bad from all that putrid water.

When we got back to the plant we off-loaded all the tires by hand, then fed them into the machine that pulled out the belts and chopped the tires up into pieces ranging in size from M&M's to golf balls. Then we had to sort through the chopped up pieces by hand to pull out any stray wires, which resulted in many sharp wire shards going straight through our gloves.

Last edited by Bullitt; 01-29-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

My only 1 day job ws at the Eagle Tavern. I think I was 14 or 15....i had to have 'working papers'. I was a dishwasher. i was all jazzed to go to a job,...and was into it...and they gave us a free hamburger....and then I was falling asleep on my feet. tired like i had never been in my life.....and the cooks were giggling...... fucking scum fucks put something in that burger....... i quit before the next shift.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
glatt

I had a one day job moving display cases and merchandise into a brand new Victoria's Secret that was opening in a new mall. When it came time to start unpacking the merchandise, I started opening boxes of underwear, but the woman boss pulled me off that and moved me to the soap and lotion instead, because she only wanted women unpacking the underwear.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Perv
Old 01-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I did a temp agency job for a market research company, for Sunny Delight "orange beverage."

The first thing we were supposed to be doing was finding qualified people who drank enough of this shit to participate in paid focus groups. Among other weird constrictions, they had to be buying their SunnyD at Wal-Mart for some reason, or they didn't qualify at all. But then if they really, really qualified, I got to try to talk them into an even better-paying gig called a "shopalong," where a representative from Sunny Delight would follow them with a camera on a "typical" shopping trip where they might expect to be buying SunnyD, so they could somehow glean something useful about their "shopping habits."

It was incredibly bizarre. I was most surprised by just how many people I was cold-calling did, in fact, purchase Sunny D at their local Super WalMart.

Of the 15 shopalongs we secured in our 20-person-phonebank 3-day calling blitz, I personally snagged 4 of them. They begged me to keep working there after the temp job was up, but I said hell no.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you've got a great voice. you could do tv commercials
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
jinx
Come on, cat.

I worked at Chi Chi's for a few minutes... The kitchen was so disgusting I never actually showed up for my first shift.
I sold foreign lottery tickets to old people with Alzheimer's for at least a couple weeks. That was the worst job ever. I should have gone back in after I walked out just to walk out again, but I really just wanted to be away from there... I have no sympathy for telemarketers to this day.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
I was in and out of a telemarketing job in a matter of 3 hours once.
Yeah, that's about how long I lasted as a telemarketer.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #24
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

I worked for 3 days in a pre-school. I was a teacher in a room of 15 3-4 yr olds, (some pottie trained, some not) after playing the Barney video for the 300th time, I decided there wasn't enough alchol in the world to make me like the 'i love you, you love me...' song being sung by this large gay dinosaur!

That's when I started singing this version of that song...'i hate you, you hate me...let's hang Barney from a tree...and a shot rang out and Barney hit the floor...no more FUCKING dinosaur!'
Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #25
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

For three days I took mangled rolls of duct tape from the local Polyken factory, and rerolled them into 30 yard rolls. I went quite insane from boredom. Oh, minimum wage, also.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #26
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I got a job with a paint contractor once and met him at the paint store so I could ride with him. The first half mile of the commute was nothing but negative bitching about how shitty his help was and how they made more money than he did... not to mention how it was impossible to hire anyone who wasn't an idiot.

At the first traffic light we stopped at, I got out of the vehicle without a word and walked back to my truck... then proceeded to the neighborhood bar to spend the rest of the day.