The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #16
warch
lurkin old school

Maybe these are some of those rogue, nomadic, crazy angry import bees... they're out there, and lovin' it!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
Maybe these are some of those rogue, nomadic, crazy angry import bees... they're out there, and lovin' it!
Not angry, they're mad.
Mad, I tell you!

I love honey bees. (cyril connolly)
Old 12-08-2005, 12:20 AM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't know bees either, but a thought just occured to me ... could they be African/Africanized bees?? Their hiving behavior is quite different.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #19
busterb
NSABFD

Yep he saw one in the swamp here years back, also 1 in Honduras while buying timber for someone. This was while not building atomic subs with Rickover, driving a truck, moving a house trailer to Alaska, working in wheat fields. And I'm sure anything else you might think of. He gets the History channel and thinks he's done all that shit.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #20
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

So does that mean I am in the middle of No Where? What an accomplishment!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Buster, you talking about AH?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #22
busterb
NSABFD

Yep Bruce the old wonder man at coffee shop. Also known as AHole. Sorry should have did a quote on my other post.

Last edited by busterb; 12-08-2005 at 08:48 PM. Reason: sp
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #23
sgmorr
Person Who Has Posted

Interesting picture. If you look closely, you can see that most of the wax comb is empty. The bees have made it but have not filled it with either honey or pollen and there do not appear to be any visible cells containing larvae.

A few years ago, here in north Texas, I had a swarm of honey bees take up residence inside a large birdhouse (an owl box) hanging in a tree. Late in the season, after they had apparently filled up the box, the workers built four or five sections of wax comb on the outside of the box (just like the combs in the photo). Winter came before the bees filled any of this comb. I subsequently had a local beekeeper remove the owl box for me and I kept the four or five sections of empty wax comb, each about the size of a dinner plate. I still have them and they've come in handy to show kids and teach them a little about honey bees.
sgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:40 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Cool souvenier, just so long as it's not going to suddenly disgorge any bees!

Welcome, sgmorr.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #25
Beek
Kinda New Member

This is a cool pic!!!! I keep these wonderful little creatures and I'm always excited to see anything about them.

Yes they do on occassion build comb outside of a structure. But it does strongly suggest that they may have some degree of african ancestry. The Italian and Russian stock, even the original "so called native" bees introduced by the first colonists from Germany, do not display this trait.

None the less, I have friends in the lower 48, TX to be precise that have removed bees from these kind of structures and built successful colonies from them.

If you don't know anything about bees though, I would suggest steering clear of a colony like this in the wild. Better safe than sorry. I have close to 100 colonies and work them in shorts and a tee shirt. NO JOKE! But Africans are are totally different critter when it comes to aggression!!

I eats my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It makes my peas taste funny
But it keeps them on my knife

Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #26
sgmorr
Person Who Has Posted

Interesting comment about these possibly being Africanized. I had some honey bees take up residence in an owl box (large wooden single hole birdhouse) a while back here in north Texas (see my post above). After they presumably filled up the box, they built lots of comb on the outside (similar to this photo). To my knowledge, they were not Africanized bees. A beekeeper removed the owl box without difficulty while I watched. I kept lots of the empty comb.
sgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #27
rkzenrage

I've seen stuff about bees in India and they build like that.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, both sgmorr and Beek.

sgmorr, I recently saw some pictures of a paper wasp nest that filled the entire interior of a '55 Chevy, the grew out two windows. Scary as hell.

Beek, the africanized bees are up into MO?