The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-05-2002, 11:05 AM   #316
dave

Minidisc is nice, and I strongly considered it... before realizing how superior the iPod was in many ways.

I like to have a wide variety of music with me at any time. I'm also a professional, which means I need to have a stupid amount of things in my pockets - cell phone, PDA, wallet, keys at the very least. I can't keep them in the same pocket because it's too bulky and things will get scratched. What this means is that I can barely fit in a music player, and I definitely couldn't fit in a bunch of minidiscs. Strike 1.

Even if I could fit a bunch of minidiscs, how many would I need to carry around? That's a lot of extra shit to look after. You can get 3 hours onto your average minidisc. Okay. The music I listen to, that's less than 3 albums. But we'll call it 3. Say I feel like carrying around 10 minidiscs, which I never would - that's 30 "CDs" of music. That's a fair amount, but that's way too much to carry. I can put 200 CDs of music on a 10GB iPod. Strike 2.

It's faster to put music onto my iPod. I can grab a thousand songs from my playlist in the morning, drag them onto my iPod, hop in the shower and by the time I'm toweling off my sack, they're all there. I might not listen to a thousand songs in a day, but it gives me a great variety. iPod is, to me, more convenient than minidisc. Strike 3.

The cost of an iPod is what you pay up front - that's it. No extra batteries, no extra discs. Buy it and you've spent all you will.

The battery life is also quite good. I get 12 hours easy on a charge. You might scoff at that, and you'd be mostly right. I can't change the batteries... but I never need to. I go home, plug it in and an hour later, it's back at 80% capacity. It takes 3 hours to charge fully. You should sleep more than 3 hours a night. So there you go.

Minidiscs are pretty cool, but I definitely think that there are some serious advantages to hard drive-base MP3 players. My player of choice is the iPod, but others are similar. If the goal is simply "play music anywhere", it's kind of hard to beat it. It's got good battery life, it's light, it looks good and it fits into pockets easily.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:11 AM   #317
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

David Bowie--Outside: Good CD, but it has two flaws. Number one, it's a bit too ambitious, even for Bowie. Number two, Brian Eno. (Though the two could go hand-in-hand)

PM Dawn--Of the Heart, Of the Soul, and Of the Cross: The Utopian Experience: One of the best hip-hop CDs ever, IMO.

Creed--My Own Prison: I really like this CD, but it seems like they've taken the "Big Rock" sound and just run it into the ground with their last 2 releases.

Depeche Mode--Construction Time Again: Great CD, but "Pipeline" is one of the dumbest songs they have ever created.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #318
musiclife
Kinda New Member

My CD player only holds one CD at a time(where have I been, I know!), and I am usually to lazy to change discs. But the three things that have been getting some rotation have been:

Los Lobos: "Kiko", and their new release "Good Morning Aztlan". Both discs are amazing, but Good Morning Aztlan takes the prize. I think that this is one of the best records released in the past few years. And the recording is beyond world class.

Sparklehorse: "It's a Wonderful Life"

The Thomas Crown Affair soundtrack
Old 09-07-2002, 06:50 AM   #319
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Avril Lavigne - Let Go - Jag fucked up the title but his heart's in the right place. There are actually more than a couple good tracks - really the only one that's intolerable is "Sk8er Boi". Top cuts are "Too Much To Ask", "Naked", "Things I'll Never Say"... best song on the album is easily "Unwanted" and it really should be the one to end the CD, but oh well. Damn fine song.
Oops, damn. Ah well you'd dead on with the tracks.

Fat Boy Slim - Live at brighton beach - best mixed cd i've heard in ages, damn sweet stuff, great to work to.

Ben Folds 5 - all, just good old music.

They Might Be Giants - 88 Lines about 44 Women. Hilarious easy listening.

Disturbed - The Game. DOn't ask me, got it off the promo for a moterbike stunt video that got sent to me, no idea why i like it.

Yo Yo Ma - Elgar Cello Concerto in E Minor. One of my fav classical piece.

EDIT: I missed Avril - Losing Grip, start of that song rocks.

Last edited by jaguar; 09-08-2002 at 03:47 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 07:05 PM   #320
elSicomoro

Hell yeah! Just got 12 brand spanking new CDs in the mail today...enough listening pleasure to keep me entertained for some time...a few weeks at least.

Watch this space.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:50 PM   #321
elSicomoro

And here we go...

Miles Davis--Kind of Blue and Love Songs: The first is considered one of the greatest jazz recordings of all time, released in 1959, and remastered 3 years ago. The second is a compilation of 9 Miles songs released 3 years ago by Columbia.

I'm sure many of you have had those moments where you have heard a song before, then sometime later, you finally discover the name of the song and who performed it. This was the case with at least 3 of the songs on Kind of Blue. Now some may have disdain for remastering, b/c it takes away some of the "authenticity." But I have to tell you...Sony has done this CD some serious justice. The quality is so crisp, that it makes me feel like I'm hanging out with Miles and Cannonball Adderly at the studio, smoking a ton of weed and shooting up a ton of smack. I think I understand now why this is considered such a classic.

Incidentally, from what I've seen, all of his releases on Columbia were remastered and re-released 3 years ago. (His association with them spanned 30 years, until the mid-80s.) In addition, there are several newer box sets and compilations (i.e. Sony cashing in on the "rediscovery" of Miles that has been going on since his death 10 years ago). Love Songs is one of these compilations, featuring 9 tracks from various releases...I think the CD title says it all.

Stevie Wonder--Songs in the Key of Life: I am a huge fan of music, and very passionate about it. When I hear a gem that I think everyone else should check out, I promote that sucker big time.

So, if you are a fan of music...i.e. you love all kinds of music and it's nothing for you to bounce from Barry White to George Strait to Strauss to Disturbed...You must buy this CD. Quite frankly, this may be in the top 5 of CDs that I own (out of 408). It's 2 CDs, so it'll run you $20 at Best Buy. Well worth it. I've always known that Stevie Wonder was a prolific songwriter, but this CD is just fucking amazing, particularly disc one.

This one was also remastered, and some tracks were added at the end of disc two. Again, the sound is fantastic. The only real problem I have with this set is that the added songs at the end of disc two don't seem to fit with the rest of the CD. They sound like they're from the early 80s, while Songs in the Key of Life was originally released in 1976.

So, buy it, burn it, whatever...you must buy this CD.

Radiohead--Kid A: Okay, I finally got this, after 2 years. It's good...great, even...although admittedly, I don't like it as much as Amnesiac.

Earth, Wind, & Fire--The Best of...Vol 2: Consisting primarily of their hits from 1976-1982, along with a couple of extra tracks. It's good stuff, but truth be told, you're better off buying their Greatest Hits collection. (Of course, don't get this confused with their Super Hits collection...God, Sony is a whore, period. Once you leave one of their labels, they milk the shit out of you. ) But, if you really dig EWF, get the 2 Best Of CDs, then the box set for shits and grins (I don't have that yet...although...).
Old 09-26-2002, 07:23 PM   #322
hermit22
sleep.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Depeche Mode--Construction Time Again: Great CD, but "Pipeline" is one of the dumbest songs they have ever created.
What are you talking about? One of my fondest memories is playing Tradewars with that song on. In fact, whenever I hear that song, I think Tradewars.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:41 PM   #323
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by hermit22
What are you talking about? One of my fondest memories is playing Tradewars with that song on. In fact, whenever I hear that song, I think Tradewars.
Well, as I mentioned in that post, Pipeline is just a dumb song. And not only is it on one DM CD, but 2 US DM CDs!

Okay, honestly, it's not that bad. It beats most of the songs on Speak and Spell.

Happy now?
Old 09-27-2002, 01:37 AM   #324
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
Very very cool, before he got all freaky fusiony.

I'm really enjoying Beck's Sea Change. Its mellow and trippy, and also...kind of blue. Paper Tiger is a particularly swell tune.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 07:31 AM   #325
jaguar
whig

Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days

RATM - Evil Empire

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
Old 09-27-2002, 10:29 PM   #326
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Very very cool, before he got all freaky fusiony.
I haven't listened to any of his 70s-80s stuff in a while. The last time I listened to Decoy (released in '83), I was unimpressed. I really should give that stuff a second listen. I've had his Blue Note "Best Of" collection for some time now (6 or 7 years), which just reeks cool.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:28 PM   #327
elSicomoro

Earth, Wind, & Fire--Best Of...Vol. 1: Primarily from the 1974-1976 era.

Funny story: Rho and I were sitting in a McDonald's in Bethesda, MD one day in 2000, and this McDonald's had an audio system that played music in the restaurant. "Got to Get You Into My Life" by the Beatles was playing.

Rho: "I don't like this version."

Syc: "Huh?"

Rho: "I like the original version of this song better."

Syc: "Who did the original version of the song?" *Syc is pretty sure he knows where this is going, but goes along anyway*

Rho: "Oh, it was Earth, Wind, & Fire."

Syc: "Ummm...hon...this version is by the Beatles...THIS is the original version."

Rho: *surprised* "Oh...well, I like Earth, Wind, & Fire's version better."

Marvin Gaye--Greatest Hits: All the old-school Motown jams

Dave Matthews Band--Under the Table and Dreaming: I can't believe it took me 8 years to get this. Strange...
Old 09-29-2002, 03:06 PM   #328
elSicomoro

Barry White--All-Time Greatest Hits: I just read last night that he's incredibly ill and needs a kidney transplant. I hope he pulls through alright...many folks born in the 70s owe their creation to him.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:36 PM   #329
XAB
sexy kinda

I'm listening to Dave Matthews as well--I love him---have any of you heard John Mayer yet? (this might be a stupid question, I'm sure lots of you have, but I'm just wondering what you guys think of him)
XAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:43 PM   #330
elSicomoro

I've only heard "Room for Squares" and one other song. From what I've heard, I dig it.

I haven't bought Busted Stuff yet...maybe in the next couple of months.