The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The left hand must be punished

I'm a handy guy. I like to fix things. I got my first Leatherman tool for Christmas some years back and I remember wondering "Oookay. Thanks." Not long after that it became clear to me that the Leatherman was the best gift since my first two wheel bike. I could take care of something right then and there. It beats a Swiss Army Knife, hands down. When I upgraded from their first model to the Supertool I became even happier because the tool/blade locked in place when deployed. Now when I crush my knuckles, I know it's because I was using too much force, and not because the tool collapsed.

Oh yeah. Knuckles are made to be mashed. They're like bumpers for the other more delicate parts of your hands. How do I know the other parts are more delicate? Because I keep stabbing them. And slicing them and skinning them and smashing them. *sigh* I managed to give myself another inch long gash this morning. Right at the hinge of my left thumb. I know better. I swear I do. I must just forget and need to have my memory refreshed or something.

I use knives all the time. At any given moment, I'm carrying at least two or more. Knives, not individual blades. My mom got me a nice Buck Crosslock for my birthday a few years back (this is the carnivore I fed this morning ), the Leatherman, a small Swiss Army Knife for delicate work, etc. I have my heart set on a knife for my next birthday present. A Boddington knife from Anza Knives. I keep them sharp. I have had them Scary Sharp, but practically speaking, only my planes can stay that way. The knives are working tools, not art objects. I strongly recommend reading the Scary Sharp article. It does work, I have used it and the results are UNbelievable.

But my poor left hand, thrust into the line of fire, or steel, again and again. I must be a slow learner. I can still count to ten without taking my shoes off though, I'm happy to say. Watching my dad amputate the last half inch of his thumb one day on the deck keeps me honest about really big motions with sharp tools. Am I the only one with ten times the scars on the left than the right?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm a equal opportunity maimer.
I've used a Lansky Diamond System for the last 15 or so years with great results.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've gone through any number of pocketknives, and a Leatherman. I currently like the BuckTool, because there's a smooth surface on the outside whether it's in knife or pliers mode. But I mostly use X-Acto...

And, even though I'm left handed, my scars are pretty evenly distributed.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

a leatherman squirt lives in my pocket every day. the scissors get the most use. Oh, and i never cut myself. i do, however bang my head into things by accident sometimes.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:31 AM   #5
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I'm a Gerber fan myself.. I've had a locking Gerber multi-thingy for a couple years now after my leatherman bent out of shape

Also just purchased a new Gerber Paraframe I knife.. and i freaking love this thing. Light aluminum handle, surgical steel blade, and a dark titanium powder coating all around
Old 09-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
I'm a Gerber fan myself.. I've had a locking Gerber multi-thingy for a couple years now after my leatherman bent out of shape
I also love the Gerbers ... I have their multitool (although I do need to get one of the more recent ones), two EZ-outs (straight and serrated), both the big and the little Paraframe, an LST that turned out to be 1/500 of some signature edition (not expected or noticed at time of purchase), a couple of other folders that have been quietly sitting in boxes over the years, and, my most favorite, a Mark I.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:12 AM   #7
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I like the Micra for on my keychain which I have on me almost all the time. I'll grab a Swiss or standard leatherman or other tool if I know ahead of time.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I like spyderco , i have an enduro , a dragon fly( COOL Little blade ) , and one of there TOTALY useless multi tools ,
I have a few different gerbers , bucks , But i am currently digging on an Emerson hard wear folder .

Now as to knife scars , I have more on my left hand , includeing one between my index nuckle and the Fuck You finger nuckle from a crok stick sharpner , i had a buck folder SOOOOO sharp and was dressing the edge , well i wasent paying attention and just slid the tip between my nuckles , weird that it didn't bleed much , but i could see thru the hole , and it HURT for a LONG time !!!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
zippyt

BigV , have you ever seen this place , http://www.knifecenter.com/
They have about EVERY thing edgey , good prices aswell
Old 09-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Urrrgh! Even reading this thread makes me break out in a cold sweat. Because I have to take Coumadin, I am not safe near knives of any kind Last summer I dropped a steak knife while I was setting the table and it managed to land point down into the middle of my bare foot. I left a trail of blood all over the wood floors, out the door and down the sidewalk as I ran to my neighbor's house for help putting pressure on a tiny little puncture which turned so dramatic

Some advice for the gals who handle tools, be aware that using exfoliants for your face (or any other places) will cause your fingertips and palms to become like glass. It is impossible to hold onto anything without concentrating, unless you really grip almost anything will slip out of your hand, with unfortunate results.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:13 AM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

1) I *love* knives.
2) I lose knives.
3) Therefore, I buy few knives, as I will lose them.

I have a Schrade Uncle Henry folder in the camper that I strap on while camping out. It has been thoroughly abused and neglected, yets serves me well without complaint...and, because I don't carry it daily, I haven't lost it in twenty years.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:40 AM   #12
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

SOG Vision. 8.37" of silky smooth titanium.

Where I go, it goes. Except the airport. Sometimes.

NYPD confiscated my last knife of similar proportion - a negotiated compromise to a felony arrest. Bastards. So I got this one. Which I keep a little more discreetly.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:55 AM   #13
zippyt

a negotiated compromise to a felony arrest

Care to elaborate ???
Old 09-25-2005, 02:43 AM   #14
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
a negotiated compromise to a felony arrest

Care to elaborate ???
Yeah, I cough up the knife and they don't book me on a felony charge. I got nailed carrying a kevlar/stainless-steel 9" Benchmade Stryker which, incidentally, I bought in person at the knifecenter.com's warehouse on the Baltimore side of DC back in '99 way before anyone ever heard of them. Too bad they don't make the exact model anymore - that was a helluva good knife. Or, for some cop or cop's brother-in-law, still is.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
mitheral
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Yeah, I cough up the knife and they don't book me on a felony charge. I got nailed carrying a kevlar/stainless-steel 9" Benchmade Stryker which, incidentally, I bought in person at the knifecenter.com's warehouse on the Baltimore side of DC back in '99 way before anyone ever heard of them. Too bad they don't make the exact model anymore - that was a helluva good knife. Or, for some cop or cop's brother-in-law, still is.
Was the knife it self illegal or were you carrying it some place that knives in general weren't allowed?

I usually carry two knives, both swiss army. A little two blade, screwdriver, file unit for delicate work and a medium size ~16 tools for more manly work. Plus a ~6" fixed blade sheath knife when camping/hiking. I've lost the larger swiss though and have been contemplating a leatherman or one of it's cousins but I'm not sure I want to be carrying a belt knife around all the time; sometimes I'm not wearing a belt. For those of you with a leatherman do you ever just put it in your pocket?

I use my knives at least every other day at least though not always for cutting stuff. The flat sided phillips on my small knife is perfect for case screws.

As to the topic on hand the only single edged tool scar on my hands is actually from an axe on my left thumb. So I guess my left hand is more cut up but it's a pretty small sample set.

Last edited by mitheral; 09-26-2005 at 04:49 PM.
mitheral is offline   Reply With Quote