The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #196
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Very true. They can be violated, but they can't be taken away, given away, bought, sold, or traded.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #197
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Rights don't come from other people. We're BORN with them. They are immutable and unalienable. They can't be "revoked" anymore than you can revoke someone's gravity.
That's one hell of -right there- Radar.

Your "pods" disgust me 9th. Too much CO2 is bad for you and can kill you.....it also keeps oxygen and blood flow from reaching the brain and can cause severe brain damage. Your form of "rehabilitation" would handicap them indefinitely- that is after they got out of your futuristic Iron Maiden. If they ever got out. It's hard to prove your DNA evidence and/or appeal your case if you are in a goddamned coffin built at a cyber punk-rave.
If you are going to insist that people lie/stand in coffins please at least kill them first.

You act like we are working with an infallible justice system.........this is making me angry. What an astonishingly terrible idea.

Shame on you.

And you know what? I always respected you on this board. Where in the hell is this coming from? Must be a very dark place.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #198
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Reading for comprehension
Quote:
Each inmate would spend their days in a small number of interconnected rooms, perhaps with a combined area of twice to three times a typical cell now.
Hardly a "futuristic Iron Maiden".
Quote:
NO2 or other gases could be pumped into each cell without guards being put at risk due to the confined area, and the prisoner would not need to be subdued physically.
As an alternative to wading into them with clubs and tazers, when they have to be subdued.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #199
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I think you're misinterpreting that image cicero, that's a screencap from the movie Minority Report. If you haven't seen it, the prisons of the future are actually something like cryostasis. The tubes feed, bath, and monitor the health of inmates while they are in a comatose-like state. Special suits also keep their bodies from withering away due to lack of movement. It's all futuretech, but it was one of the first things that got me thinking about alternative prison types.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #200
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer View Post
the prisons of the future are actually something like cryostasis. The tubes feed, bath, and monitor the health of inmates while they are in a comatose-like state.
What's the point of that? From the prisoner's point of view, they climb into the tank, sleep a bit, and then they climb out again and are set free. They don't experience the loss of freedom or the loss of time. There's little punishment there. Sure, society will benefit because the dangerous prisoners are kept out of society, but if the prisoners will be released again, there's no punishment component. Also no rehabilitation.

The prisons of the future should prepare the prisoner to be released back into society and give that prisoner the tools to succeed once that happens.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #201
9th Engineer

I should have prefaced the statement about prisons of the future with 'in the movie'. They did say something in the movie about stasis being 'like a 20 year nightmare', but you're right in that it does seem to lack a component of punishment. Then again, most of our sentences now are cut very short because of a lack of space. If you ended up waking up 15 years older for committing a burglary it might have more of an impact then you'd think. The 'punishment' would be sort of like society denying the prisoner an enormous chunk of his or her life. But again, no rehabilitation (not that the current system does it anyway).
Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #202
glatt

Oh, I know we are talking about "in the movie" but the movie had the freedom to come up with a magical solution to the prison situation we have today, and in that magic, they found no room for preparing the prisoners to return to society. It's kind of telling that they gave so little thought to that, just like the system today gives so little thought to it. From a purely practical perspective, it's in society's best interests to make that the number one priority of the prison system for any prisoners who will eventually go free.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #203
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
What's the point of that? From the prisoner's point of view, they climb into the tank, sleep a bit, and then they climb out again and are set free. They don't experience the loss of freedom or the loss of time. There's little punishment there. Sure, society will benefit because the dangerous prisoners are kept out of society, but if the prisoners will be released again, there's no punishment component. Also no rehabilitation.

The prisons of the future should prepare the prisoner to be released back into society and give that prisoner the tools to succeed once that happens.
You wake up and everyone you know is either really old or dead. You can't communicate well, have no cultural references, etc. and if yourj brain were active the whole time, it would really suck.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #204
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
You wake up and everyone you know is either really old or dead. You can't communicate well, have no cultural references, etc. and if yourj brain were active the whole time, it would really suck.
It would also likely remove from already dangerously out of control psyches, what societal strictures they had kept hold of. If their familes and friends are long gone, what reason do they have for compliance in any societal norms? Their reference point and support network (which carries with it its own notions of acceptable behaviour) would be gone.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #205
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Reading for comprehension
Hardly a "futuristic Iron Maiden".
As an alternative to wading into them with clubs and tazers, when they have to be subdued.
I was commenting on the photo from that future crime movie and connecting it with his verbiage.
Thanks Bruce. Hey! I can read and look at petty pitures.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #206
Flint
Snowflake

Why did he post the picture and say he was "working towards it" when it contradicted his description?
This is less a "reading comprehension" problem than a "sorting through contradictory information" problem, IE a "posting clearly" problem.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #207
Cicero

Kind of like what I was trying to say....torture, brain damaging, time suspending, and once again......no rehabilitation. Can we put "correctional" back in the term "correctional facility"? No. There's a part of us that wants to punish, for the punished to be marked, and criminal forever?
Sorry for taking what you said too heavy 9th, but CO2 causes too much brain damage. Look at the after effects of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and you get the same symptomatic problems. Yes, even death.

Maybe we can try something that serves decent results rather than a mobius strip of crime, torture, and incompetency.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #208
9th Engineer

I'm confused as to where your references to CO2 keep coming from. I mentioned NO2 (nitrous oxide) in my post as one possibility of sedation in the case of a violent inmate.
I suppose I did leave a logic gap between my two posts. The first was a description of something we could implement with current technology levels that directly addressed a short list of specific issues within the current system, but certainly not all. The second was a look at the far future with technology that won't be viable for another 20-40 years. I also should have clarified the specific use of storage type prisons. I can't realistically see it being the best option except in cases like extremely high risk or violent offenders who are serving very long sentences. If someone is serving 40-life then no matter what you do, by the time they step back onto the street (if ever) they will know nothing but prison life and society no matter what you try to teach them inside. Rehabilitation is essentially pointless there.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #209
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
How would they do that? Specifically.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #210
Flint
Snowflake

So you would do it, if we had the technology, today? If so, doesn't that negate the discussion about the two different things you were posting about, and return us to justifying the scenario that a lack of technology alone prevents you from advocating?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote