The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #61
Flint
Snowflake

I love how these "suspects" "claim" they were "hired" to place these "ads" for a "TV show" . . . ummm...
Turner Broadcasting did release-wait, did they? yes, yes they did release a statement about this. So that part should be all cleared up.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #62
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
A non statement for a non event.
I don't think it was a total non-statement. I mean, on the subject of haircuts, IE appearance, let's not forget what real terrorists look like:
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #63
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I don't know about anyone else, but yesterday is the first time I ever seriously even *considered* watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force, so apparently the ad campaign is working nicely.

Making a mockery of something that is already such a huge clusterf*ck? Is that even possible?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #64
Flint
Snowflake

Dude, ATHF is greatness. I have three seasons on DVD.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #65
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I don't think it was a total non-statement. I mean, on the subject of haircuts, IE appearance, let's not forget what real terrorists look like:
Resist the urge to conflate these two, gawd. I hesitate to justify the most recent one with the word "event", but I'll hold my nose and do so.

Flint:

Resist the urge to conflate these two events. Such a response is a national fad right now, but your mother was right about everybody else jumping off a cliff. They're different. Not the same. Not connected. Your picture is prima facie evidence of this.

Different haircuts. Different events. Get it straight.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #66
Flint
Snowflake

BigV, how stupid do you think I am? Read the sarcasm between the lines.

This column makes it out like a battle of us versus them, and the definition of them is widening every day.

Kitsune observed "...there is something about this that makes me think that this is a big statement being put out by the city of Boston that condemns any action that is outside the accepted norm" and I agree. And furthermore, the dreadlocked, non-citizen suspect makes a great scapegoat because he is different from us.

Which brings us to the subject of what do "terrorists" (or "suspects" as this story is framed by the media, not me) look like?

Or, to over-explain this to the Nth degree: do "terrorists" "look" a certain way? NO!

Would you have suspected McVeigh, based on appearance? NO! Get it?

It's not a total non-statement to hold a press conference about appearance, IE haircuts in this case.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #67
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yigQGKaf2A

You tubes video if you havn't seen it already. I didn't see a link to it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post

Making a mockery of something that is already such a huge clusterf*ck? Is that even possible?

Is clusterf*uck as a word even possible? :P and what is it? I know. I am a simpleton.

Last edited by skysidhe; 02-01-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: adding quote
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #68
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Flint, I don't think you're stupid. If I did, you'd know it, even if you were stupid.

The overreaction to this "event" is stupid. I'm riffing on your point that "real" terrorists have "real" haircuts, observing that, OBVIOUSLY, since this new guy doesn't have such a haircut, he can't possibly be a real terrorist.

Dude.

edit--Actually, don't chill. this isn't something that we, any of us should chill about. We should be talking about why this was a big fucking deal for some people yesterday, and why it's a big fucking deal for a completely different set of people today. Seriously. don't chill. Knock yourself out. Be pissed at me, fine. My comments were not directed at you, I think you get it. My comments were directed at the same embarassed frightened terror-ees that panicked in the first place.

The discussion needs to be why are we so spooked? It was a nice day yesterday. This was not a plane crashing into a building. No kittens were harmed in the making of the displays. Why have some people surrendered their backbones, their ability to take a punch, their ability to take a joke, and gave away their balls in the bargain.

Goddamit! The world will ALWAYS have threats in it, some real, most not. Don't chill, don't panic, but roll with the punches a little, willya? I'm gonna pop a vessel just watching you (all) whip yourself into a perfect froth of chicken little apoplexy.

Fuck. gimme that. I'll take two.

Last edited by BigV; 02-01-2007 at 03:54 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #69
Flint
Snowflake

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention"

Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #70
rkzenrage

Can we all say it together so they can learn "we were wrong".
See, was that so hard?
All they had to say. That they did not is silly and means those that did not should have to repay the taxpayers out of their personal salaries for every thing that happened after the moment they knew.
Simple.
I guess I need a sticker for my wheelchair, "not a bomb idiot, go find a light-bright".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0PgnOZFKiY

This one is funny... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G-D0F4Q9yk

Last edited by rkzenrage; 02-01-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #71
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
The devices didn't prompt calls of concern in any of the nine other cities where Turner said the devices were placed. Police in the other cities fanned out to find and remove them after Boston's scare.

Some enterprising people got to the devices before police: At least seven were for sale Thursday afternoon on the Internet auction site eBay, ranging in price from $500 to $2,100.

Most of Boston's colleagues in law enforcement in the other cities chose their words carefully.

"I wouldn't want to give my opinion but in today's world it's better safe than sorry. Someone (in Boston) clearly thought there was a threat," Atlanta police Officer Joe Cobb said.

In the Seattle area, authorities thought the devices were "obviously not suspicious."

"In this day and age, whenever anything remotely suspicious shows up, people get concerned — and that's good," King County sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart said. "However, people don't need to be concerned about this. These are cartoon characters giving the finger."
WHAT?!? Why wasn't I alerted? I have been denied my constitooshinal right to freak out expressin. Who do I sue?!

From here.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #72
rkzenrage

Seattle to Boston...

Old 02-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #73
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Good grief. The fact that these things are nothing more than illuminated signs is *glaringly* obvious. Furthermore, were those *strategic* metal awnings or something? I mean, wouldn't these things have been more effective (if they had been bombs) planted somewhere else?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #74
rkzenrage

Plus, they had been up for weeks. What a great bomb strategy, no?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #75
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Hey, what happened to this guy? Why aren't the police looking for him? Where's a description of him? Where's the manhunt? Was it really a pipebomb? How come we're not hearing about this?

Quote:
Six minutes later at 1:02 p.m. Boston Police received a call from New England Medical Center Security that they had uncovered a pipe bomb in their building in a desk drawer. Shortly thereafter Hospital Security reported that a suspect had been seen leaving the area of the pipe bomb in an agitated state stating, "God is warning you that today is going to be a sad Day." The suspect was reported to have fled the hospital. Boston Police continue to investigate this incident. No further details at this time.

At 1:08 p.m. the Boston Police Bomb Squad arrived and confirmed the existence of an item which appeared to be a pipe bomb inside the hospital.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote