The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-12-2002, 08:19 PM   #31
Nic Name
retired

Not all architecture is crap ... but it's good to know where to put the toilet. And that's where Fine Homebuilding Magazine is very helpful.

What I thought when I saw this IotD of Jordan's house was ... shit ... how many toilets does it have?
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:13 AM   #32
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Muse

haha...that's good too....yep......because hey we all need a fucking mansion when others in our country live in poverty.

Dham.....i wouldn't fuck you..besides the fact that your a guy
I wouldn't fuck you either. Mainly because you're incapable of proper grammar, and as we all know, I don't like <b>fucking idiots</b>.

Wow. Check it out. I have like, hmmm... probably in the viscinity of 20 computers now. While other people are in poverty! But I work for a living. Anyone can get a job, no matter how limited their skill set. It doesn't take much to bag groceries at a store or mop the floors at a McDonalds. I have a mother that needs to be cared for, thank you very much. I need to pay lawyers to represent her, as well as get her basic amenities ($40 each month isn't very much - the nursing home takes the rest of her money, even though they do a shitty job - bed sores are fun!). Hey, I bet half of those people on the streets don't have massive bed sores like my mom does. Wanna start posting for her too? We all need a fucking mansion when there are people with bed sores out there, eh?

Anyway, not all of us live in a fucking mansion. Most of us don't, actually. I think it's less than one percent that do. So if you have a problem with the fact that most of this country (and the world, too) uses their hard-earned money to make life a little easier or a little more enjoyable (playing with an iPod is more enjoyable than mowing the lawn, trust me), why don't you cut all that out of your imperfect life and do something? Sell the fucking computer you post this from and buy some clothes and food for some homeless people. Sell your car and do the same. If you don't have one, steal it from some rich asshole that doesn't really need it anyway. Quit being a fucking hypocrite. I'd bet you the few thousand dollars in my checking account that you don't practice what you preach. So, in the words of Doug the Head, <b>fuck off</b>.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:16 AM   #33
jaguar
whig

First of all muse, you are being holier than thou, you're, by proxy at least saying, look at you materialistic lot, disgusting, whether or not you yourself are any better. And another point is very clear, if you had a through knowledge of Architecture instead of looking down on it you'd realise there was an entire period of architecture (and much of Le Corbusier's work) dedicated to high-capacity, low cost housing, while still being aesthetically pleasing. A more recent example would be a project that turned a shipping container into a fantastic self-contained house inexpensively, believe it or not, aesthetics need to come at a large price.

So either sell everything you own apart from the bare necessities and donate the cash to red cross, or shut the fuck up and stop being hypocritical.

Anyway, personally i don't want a fucking mansion, i want a 1-2 bedroom apartment, you probably live in a bigger house.

Now, back to our regular programming.
Quote:
What I'd like to see is some inspired, practical architecture done for the "City" and Suburban house. I'm not talking some of the houses sitting on 2-3 acre lots - How about some NICE houses meant to sit on a 40x100, or a 60x100. 60 years ago, there was some reasonable stuff being done, but it seems that since the mid 50s, and more particularly the late 60s, every house is a square block, maximizing interior space, and with NO details at all. They seem to call details the fact that the put a false mansard roof on the face building (because otherwise the flat roof would be TOO ugly) a detail.
Look at late FLW stuff, look in a few of the better architecture mags, and interior deisgn mags(i'm lucky to have a very good architecutre book shop i know in the city) , there is some fantastic stuff out there, the whole block thing is like some kind of crappy neogeorgian SHIT that personally causes my eyes to burn whenever i look at it.

Last edited by jaguar; 01-13-2002 at 05:20 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:57 AM   #34
Muse
Pithy Euphemist

fun fun bitching

....well since i'm now in the role of the holier than thou person, I may as well continue my bitching

Quote:
Anyway, not all of us live in a fucking mansion. Most of us don't, actually. I think it's less than one percent that do.
So you accept the fact that less than one percent of the world's population controls the majority of its wealth. I see

Quote:
Anyone can get a job, no matter how limited their skill set. It doesn't take much to bag groceries at a store or mop the floors at a McDonalds.
Righttt. I live in Canada so that's where my following stats are going to be comming from. We have a social program known as welfare to provide those without a job with money. Over 70 percent of those on this program are single mothers. So do you propose that they neglect their children so they can have the money and be a great person like you? Also, I'm wondering, how many homeless people do you actually sit down and talk to. Sure you may throw them change once in awhile, but have you ever talked to them and found out about their issues?

Quote:
Hey, I bet half of those people on the streets don't have massive bed sores like my mom does.
No, I bet they don't. However I bet their issues are a lot more fucking serious than that.

Quote:
another point is very clear, if you had a through knowledge of Architecture instead of looking down on it you'd realise there was an entire period of architecture (and much of Le Corbusier's work) dedicated to high-capacity, low cost housing, while still being aesthetically pleasing.
Am I say architecture is evil? No. Am I saying I know all about everything? No. What I'm simply trying to get across is the fact that there's no way someone like Jordan needs a house like that.

Yes, I do think some architecture is beautiful. However does this justify spending millions of dollars on it? In times past this was seen as acceptable but times change, at least I hope they do. I'm sure some artist could paint a beautiful picture with the blood of a baby but does this justify the means?

haha and I love how people always get worked up about grammar.

Quote:
I wouldn't fuck you either. Mainly because you're incapable of proper grammar, and as we all know, I don't like fucking idiots.
Since you want to be a bitch about it would you rather I spell check everything?

Quote:
viscinity
vicinity

Bakunin
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:36 AM   #35
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
snip...Now, back to our regular programming.
Look at late FLW stuff, look in a few of the better architecture mags, and interior deisgn mags(i'm lucky to have a very good architecutre book shop i know in the city) , there is some fantastic stuff out there, the whole block thing is like some kind of crappy neogeorgian SHIT that personally causes my eyes to burn whenever i look at it.
The problem is that a lot of the FLW stuff is pretty as heck, but not very functional - look at his kitchens. To much of what is out there (and yes, NYC has some descent architechure bookshops) just isn't functional

Your right about of a LOT of that neogeorgian stuff - it IS crap. However, the WORST stuff I see right now are either the Townhouse stuff, or the typical semi attached or attached house - they build them as "Lot Max" cubes, and don't even break up the block longhouse with any details (Like a femish lay to the brick) - It's designed and build as cheaply as possible.

The GOOD news is that there is a builder around here building what COULD be the same cookie cutter semi attached who is now doing some little things - a pattern in the bricks, a small spot for a shrub or two, some better lighting. His stuff sells faster and actually looks a lot better. Maybe the other builders will learn
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:40 PM   #36
dave

Re: fun fun bitching

Quote:
So you accept the fact that less than one percent of the world's population controls the majority of its wealth. I see
No, I really don't think you do. Because if you did, you'd realize that I didn't say anything like that, you fucking moron. What I said is that, to the best of my knowledge, less than 1% of the population live in mansions. Man you're a fucking tool. For the record, I know several <b>millionaires</b> at work that live in regular houses. Having money doesn't mean that you live in a mansion. It means that you have money. Those that live in mansions are probably well off. But the inverse statement is not true. In other words, don't bother putting words in my fucking mouth.

Quote:
So do you propose that they neglect their children so they can have the money and be a great person like you? Also, I'm wondering, how many homeless people do you actually sit down and talk to. Sure you may throw them change once in awhile, but have you ever talked to them and found out about their issues?
Here you go again, making shit up to try and convince the less-than-intelligent here of your superior argument. I say less-than-intelligent because the intelligent ones already see through it. Firstly, I never said anything about being a "great person" - I'll let history judge me, thanks. Far be it from myself or anyone else here to judge me - I don't give you enough information to do so. So you can cut that shit out too - like I said before, don't put words in my fucking mouth. It makes you look like, well, <b>a fucking idiot</b>.

Secondly - I've <b>stood</b> and talked to a number of homeless people. I can't count how many, and it doesn't really matter either. They don't bother me, just being there. So I don't really care if they get jobs. As long as they're happy, I'm happy. So when I talk to them, I try to make their day shine just a little bit brighter. Only a few times have I actually asked about why they were there - most of them don't seem to really want to go back to that. So I talk to them for a few minutes, let them talk. Tell a joke. Offer to buy them some food. Tell them that I'll catch them later. I treat them like a normal person. Nothing is more degrading than groveling. I try to make them feel like a perfectly normal person, like we're two dudes there by the bank in Toronto just chattin' it up. They seem to like that.

Quote:
However I bet their issues are a lot more fucking serious than that.
Well then, I bet you have <b>no fucking clue</b> how serious a bed sore is. How's this - one of them meant that my mom's leg <b>had to be amputated</b>. The other two are tunneling and <b>could kill her</b> if they're not properly treated. They look like holes, in her back, the size of baseballs. The flesh inside is nice and dark red with some wonderful yellow parts as well. It should, of course, be pink. Twice have they become gangrenous. Do you, in your infinite knowledge, know what gangrene is? Would you say that being alive but homeless is a worse condition than having gangrene on 3 different parts of your body? I'd say that the bed sore issue is a lot more fucking serious than homelessness, but maybe that's because I'm well educated on both, whereas you're obviously ignorant of at least one. Fuck off until you know what you're talking about.

Quote:
However does this justify spending millions of dollars on it?
Who are you to judge? How can you say what is and what is not worth that money to them? Maybe the architecture of the house is most beautiful to Mr. Jordan. Maybe it means a lot to him. How do you know? <b>Who are you to judge?</b>

As for the rest, since Mozilla makes this a pain in the ass for me to copy and paste, I'll just respond without quoting. Typos happen. Look over my posts and find me one (1) place where I have misused a contraction. That's what grammar is. Not spelling. But since we're on that too - find me a spelling error that couldn't be a typo. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:28 PM   #37
jaguar
whig

Charlie, keep looking, look at a range of mags, many of them *are* very pretentious/useless ill be the first to admit that but there is some good stuff being built, i've seen it. It does obviously depend where your tastes run. My first question would be: where do your tates run/ IF they tend to be more minimalist, you're more in luck these days i will admit, but i've seen some fantatic use fo foliage in very moden houses as well as medling of materials, particaurly wood/steel combinations ofthen whit bloc colour. Whatever you do, never read architecture Australia, it is the worst mag i've ever been unlucky to read, and to make it worse a fiend and i literally had to sue a dictioary on every 10th word, more elitelist, pretentious and arrogant pile of drivel i've ever read.

NOw.
Muse. Firstly when you butted in with your rediculious commet - we were discussing the hsitory of architecture more than anything else, which made your comment seem even mroe silly. Secondly, yes, it is obscene thatpeople have so much money etcetc, my question would be, what the fuck do you think we should do about it? We are in the midst fo a glboal class war, or the start of one, i think it will take 20 odd years to come to fruitation but its coming. Secondly, i never remember endorsing his house, yet your comment was directed at all of us, was it or was it purely at jordan?
Old 01-13-2002, 07:51 PM   #38
Griff
still says videotape

The way I see it Jordans house, which would be for my purposes simply awful, provided a lot of work for a lot of people. So instead of a indoor court, I see a few hoops for kids nailed to the garages of the carpenters, plumbers, and electricians. Maybe the architect can use his piece to by a clue, but it doesn't matter. Jordan apparently got the place he wanted and instead of sitting on his pile Mike spent some it. It kind of reminds me of that feel good legislation Congress passed a few years ago. You remember our critters played the class card and put a luxury tax on yachts. The part they apparently misunderstood was that a lot of very talented woodworkers needed those jobs if their work was going to be fullfilling and lucrative.

Here's a place to go for those folks who have a building itch. They teach basic housebuilding, design and post and beam building to folks of all different backgrounds.

http://www.shelterinstitute.com/
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:05 PM   #39
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

You know, all this talk about houses has got the gerbil running on his wheel in my mind...

Parts of north Chicago have these large houses that are home to 3 or 4 families. My ex used to live in one in the Ukrainian Village (near Western and Chicago Aves.)--there was one 2 br apt. on each floor (3 floors total). I would love to take one of those houses and convert it into one house for Rho and I. So far, I'm thinking like this:

--The first floor would be the "art" area: computers, a recording studio, a photography studio, an art studio.

--The second floor would be the main area of the house, for entertaining guests.

--The top floor would be our personal living space.

It's only a rough sketch, but it would be pretty sweet.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:24 PM   #40
dave

sycamore - Hells yeah!

This is always the kind of thing I wanted to do, but a little bit different. Bottom floor is the entertaining area/living area/kitchen/TV room. Middle floor would be the "art" area - computers, all of Jenni's art stuff, etc. Top floor would, of course, be living space. The problem, however, is having the money to do it. So that's why I'm making do with the 2 bedrooms and the living room here - it's kinda our 3 areas - 1 room for computers and pets and Jenni's art stuff, 1 room for our personal space and 1 room (living room) for, well, living. It's not quite ideal, but it'll work
Old 01-13-2002, 08:55 PM   #41
jaguar
whig

I"d put entertain on the bottm, liv on the middle and art at the top.
Firstly, having living hte middle gives you easier access to both, the only catch is the distance from kitchen to art. THe second factor is light, having teh art on the top floow gives you access to more light, often useful thing, and easier to install skylights. Plumbing would be cheaper on a bottom floor too.

Colour would be a big issue, you'd need something light, probably preferably cold on the top floor to be neutral enough while enouaging space. The ceiling in the bottom should definately be light, or preferably white to give an illusion of space/height, but warmer walls would probably work better.

Flooring, you'd probably want carpet in the lower two and something more....accident proof like epoxied floorbaords in the top. Of course since i have buggar all idea what these things look like......

I'm bored, everyone has gone overseas and left me alone =(. SO if you've got floorplans/pictures/whatever pass em over, i'd love ot have a look. The other reason is i'm looking for a topic/concpet for my first main graphics folio next year, which is supposed to be something architectural.....

Last edited by jaguar; 01-13-2002 at 08:59 PM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #42
Nic Name
retired

Ok, here's something personal.

I'm feeling comfortable with the community now.

I've been there, done that with the maniac mansion deal.

In fact, my monster home was featured in the movie based on the Mary Higgins Clark mystery, Remember Me.

That's the house (half of it) in the pic on the link above. If you ever see the flick on late night TV, remember me.

I won't go into the whole thing about the house, the reno, the separation, the movie, the litigation. That's a book, itself. Or at least a separate thread.

Oh, it was no Jordan house ... only 6,000 s.f. for the three of us and the dog, nicely situated on 4 acres with 400 feet of waterfront. But it was nice.

Those were the days.

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-14-2002 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:12 AM   #43
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieG

Your right about of a LOT of that neogeorgian stuff - it IS crap. However, the WORST stuff I see right now are either the Townhouse stuff, or the typical semi attached or attached house - they build them as "Lot Max" cubes, and don't even break up the block longhouse with any details (Like a femish lay to the brick) - It's designed and build as cheaply as possible.
People seem to like it. (hey, including me, I just bought a townhouse. Sure it's not distinctive, but the plumbing works great, the roof doesn't leak, there's lots of room, and it's fairly cheap.). Who is this builder that does otherwise?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 07:41 PM   #44
Griff
still says videotape

building a barn

I'm starting to gather info and do sketches for my next construction project so I thought I'd lay it in here in case anyones seen anything interesting. I'm going to build a small barn, maybe 20'x32' two story with woodworking shop and hay storage upstairs and room for maybe a dozen sheep, a couple horses, and maybe an attached shed for the chickens. I happen to (by design actually) live in a township with essentially no zoning for out buildings.
I want to do this by myself and on the cheap so that means heavy on local materials and nothing that requires more than one back etc.. I've done timber framing but I'm looking for something different this time around. I find cordwood constuction appealing and can build on a slope so some kind of underground construction might be interesting. Anyway I'm just starting the process so speak up if you've got any brilliant, whimsical, or foolish ideas.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 08:06 PM   #45
Nic Name
retired

Elevate Something Ordinary to Something Extraordinary.

Quote:
Samuel Mockbee, an architect and a professor of architecture, cares a lot about design. But that's not all he cares about. At the Rural Studio in Hale County, Alabama, where his students from Auburn University build innovative, inexpensive houses and community facilities for needy local families, Mockbee encourages his students to focus on both the big picture and the small details.

"We're looking at the totality of where architecture exists and what it exists in: the environmental, the social, and the political. In a community, you have to look at education, law enforcement, recreation, and health -- and address all of it equally. You have to understand the community in which you live.

"Architecture as a profession is pretty conventional, and we often play court jester to neurotic politicians and egotistical developers. We acquiesce to their decision making when architects really should be in a position to make decisions, whether those decisions are about environmental or social injustices. Here at the Rural Studio, we are in that position. We play the real role that an architect should play: dealing with individuals and communities and doing what's appropriate for both. What's good for the individual should be good for the community and vice versa.

"On top of that, the one true gift that an architect has is his or her imagination. We take something ordinary and elevate it to something extraordinary."
from the in depth Fast Company profile.