The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #91
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnAngel
I grant you [dov] can be very odd, sorry the pictures upset you...

You will miss Dov, most sites he leaves or get banned from do.

It is though your haven, your lair, you cosy safe place, you're right to defend it, nurture it.

You think dov's pics upset anyone? dov's pics looked like the pics on the cheap halloween crap they sell at the "Everything for $1 Store." They weren't upsetting, they were stupid. And coming from a "serious" sculptor, they were even stupider. Razor blades in a tit? Give me a break - that idea is ancient and has been done, done over and redone by every Dada wannabe and S&M artist from Soho to Singapore. He may have told you it was a tribute to his mother's suffering but uhhhhh... well, let's move on.

dov wore out his welcome here (in my opinion) because he wasn't interested in engaging anyone here. He wasn't here to exchange ideas but to lecture. He didn't come here to take anything away but to shove his ridiculous ideas and world view down everyone's throat. And there are a lot of people here who are not from America.

if dov wants to scare and shock people, he should stick to doing it with his "art." He isn't here anymore because he had nothing to offer in exchange for all the space he took up. The man had no game. He reminded me less of Barak and more of Mr. Hairball.

In my experience here the only people who don't last long are the one's whose mind is welded shut.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:55 AM   #92
NotAnAngel
A Newbie..again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
It checks out.
Thank You UT, much appreciated, many site owners wouldnt have bothered.
NotAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #93
NotAnAngel
A Newbie..again

Ok I cant be bothered to answer many seperate posts. Who exactly is "tag teaming? who are "they"?

I did not say this site was boring. kindly dont attempt t twist my words. I said it offered nothing different. I usually post on current affairs Forums. If I have already found a topic of interest, seems pointless to join in the exact same on another Forum 2 days later. Especially if disadvantaged as a Newbie on a newbiephobic site. When you see regs evoking handles from the past, which you obviously have NOOOOOOOOO knowledge of it rings warning bells.

PLUS I have a slight techie problem on Cellar, I did send an email on my first days of becoming a member, I dont think I have a reply. I login. I post, I submit the post. I get a screen which tells me Im not logged in. ( I am). I enter my password again. I get back to the home page, I just lost my entire post.. I give up.. * shrug* after re-logging in I get this message.

"Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster"

Which is of course why I lose my post.. Im rarely inspired to write it all again.

Hope this clears up some of your issues..
Old 02-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #94
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

What issues?

I hope dov and humpbug have long, painful lives. They need all the luck they can get.

Have a nice day in Yurp, NotAnAngel. And welcome to the cellar.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 AM   #95
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
I usually post on current affairs Forums. If I have already found a topic of interest, seems pointless to join in the exact same on another Forum 2 days later.
This is a community, and you should think differently about it.

In real life, you learn about current events or something, and then you go out and have a nice dinner or party or gathering with people you like, and you discuss them. If you're with people you know, you get more from the discussion, even if you have already heard a particular point of view elsewhere. If people you trust hold a point of view that tells you one thing. If people you don't trust hold it, that's another.

You also learn about the people you're discussing things with, and about people in general. Part of the point is the discussion, but the real point is that it's social.

Because people are deeper than current events. Early on somebody said something which marked the real raison d'etre of the Cellar. They pointed out that if they only knew Griff by his politics, they may think they don't like him... but he has built his own house, and that's really cool. Talking about *everything* is part of what makes us special. It lets us understand each other, AND the events going on around us, in different ways.

If you already have enough friends (anyone?), or if you already have social forums that you enjoy, you may find this place redundant. And, as in any social gathering, it's the people that make it unique and if you don't find a connection with this particular group of people it won't seem interesting. Personally, I don't see how I could live without the dwellars; they are a huge part of my life... supporting me through hard times, sharing the good times, sharing themselves and their lives, it's a beautiful thing.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #96
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Ok I cant be bothered to answer many seperate posts. Who exactly is "tag teaming? who are "they"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag-tea...l_wrestling%29

There, it's a pleasure to help expand someone's knowledge, since you say you're too busy writing in the more interesting and relevant sites to stop and take the time to look it up. There is also a trick to keep your post from being lost like that, when you can spare the time from your busy life to learn something else
Old 02-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #97
marichiko

Quote:
I did not say this site was boring. kindly dont attempt t twist my words. I said it offered nothing different.
"Same ol, same ol" doesn't sound like the words of a person whose interest has been piqued. Excuse me if I misinterperted your enthusiasm as ennui.

Quote:
Especially if disadvantaged as a Newbie on a newbiephobic site. When you see regs evoking handles from the past, which you obviously have NOOOOOOOOO knowledge of it rings warning bells.

Quote:
There are only three RULES of the Cellar.

Do not try to break the law using the Cellar.
Do not try to break the Cellar.
Do not be "intolerably irritating".
OK, I give up, when did "intolerably irritating" use to post here? I mean, besides me, and I never used that name.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #98
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
This is a community, and you should think differently about it.

In real life, you learn about current events or something, and then you go out and have a nice dinner or party or gathering with people you like, and you discuss them. If you're with people you know, you get more from the discussion, even if you have already heard a particular point of view elsewhere. If people you trust hold a point of view that tells you one thing. If people you don't trust hold it, that's another.

You also learn about the people you're discussing things with, and about people in general. Part of the point is the discussion, but the real point is that it's social.

Because people are deeper than current events. Early on somebody said something which marked the real raison d'etre of the Cellar. They pointed out that if they only knew Griff by his politics, they may think they don't like him... but he has built his own house, and that's really cool. Talking about *everything* is part of what makes us special. It lets us understand each other, AND the events going on around us, in different ways.

If you already have enough friends (anyone?), or if you already have social forums that you enjoy, you may find this place redundant. And, as in any social gathering, it's the people that make it unique and if you don't find a connection with this particular group of people it won't seem interesting. Personally, I don't see how I could live without the dwellars; they are a huge part of my life... supporting me through hard times, sharing the good times, sharing themselves and their lives, it's a beautiful thing.
Well said.

Maybe you should put this (or a link to this) on the new user registration page. Most would probably just skim over it, but a little bit of the message might sink in for some people.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #99
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

There are a few common denominators that are repeatedly displayed by new members who end up getting the stinkeye from Cellarites:

1) Those who immediately start posting items that they think are "provocative", with no other purpose than to rouse rabble. Not cute, not creative...just *intolerably irritating*. Poking the hornets nest with a stick is *not* participation.

2) Those who arrive with an axe to grind, chip on the shoulder or some blatantly singular cause. Not interesting and too one-dimensional and usually ends up being too self-righteous to stand.

3) Those who attempt to portray themselves as something they clearly are not. Cellarites are not stupid, nor gullible, and do not long tolerate someone who seems to believe they are.

4) Those who lecture or claim to know the One Right Way of Things. For every philosophical "fact" there is a diametrically opposing "fact", and you can bet you'll hear it sooner rather than later here.

The Cellar tolerates and even comes to accept and occasionally defend the overbearing, the foolish, the tasteless, the spelling-challenged, the downtrodden, the hopeless, the arrogant - even the rude and callous sometimes. What we don't dig is someone who comes along, farts in the elevator, and then waits to see who gets off at the next floor. Now, come to The Cellar, check the lay of the land, join the community, and you can rip a nasty one off - and we'll kick the dog for you.

Last edited by Elspode; 02-27-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #100
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You forgot one

5) People who join for the purpose of defending somebody who already dug their own grave.*

*unless they cut that shit out pretty damn fast and decide to actually contribute.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:55 AM   #101
NotAnAngel
A Newbie..again

A Happy Bright and sunshiny good morning to you Wolf , did you mean me BTW? Actually I joined the site before Dov. so no.. but never mind eh.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:09 AM   #102
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

im sorry i just read this thread about the 24 of january. that day is burned into my memory this year as being one of the best days of my life. it was a 40 degree (celcius) day in melbourne, i was hung over and for some reason i felt like life was going to be fantastic. i reflected back on the rest of my summer and decided this summer was the best ive ever had. and i said to myself "im never going to forget this day"
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote