The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-07-2001, 09:45 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Actually most of mine came from Philly clubs that would bring in national acts, so those shows included Devo, Thomas Dolby, and TMBG all at the Chestnut Cabaret (R.I.P.).

Kris, I woulda loved to see Plant solo during the 80s when he was putting out all those really cool semi-experimental things. As long as Phil Collins didn't drum for him.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 10:12 PM   #17
Kris
Drawn Druid

He seemed to still be doing a lot of experimental stuff. I had taken my dad for his birthday, and he knew more of the music (almost the whole show was cover's from the 60's & 70's). He played a few Zepp tunes, as well as a rendition of "Hey Joe" that I didn't recognize until I heard those words.

The best show I've been to by far was Kenny Wayne Shepherd with Double Trouble. $25 bucks and they played for 4 solid hours.

-Kris
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 12:37 AM   #18
jaguar
whig

Quote:
although not one with pulsing lights, mind-numbing techno, and glowsticks.
Are you bagging pulsing lights, mind-numbing techno and glowsticks? =P

Bah, generation difference i think. Clubs aren't jstu meat markets any mroe, you go with freinds for a good time - sure you might pick up and plenty of *ahem* stuff happens but thats not relaly why you go. Most are there for the music and the atnosphere which is of course often enhanced by little pills.....Haven't been to many full on raves - most are 18+ only but i go to an event called earthcore when its on 1-5 day raves held in natural locaiton - often natural parks with minimal enviroment impact.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:23 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp
Beru Ha Ha
(Alibi's, in West Chester, which is called something else now. I was too young for Beru Revue.)
John "Dr. Dirty" Valby, four times
(Once at the 23 East, once at the Big Kahuna in Wilmington, twice upstate, and why can't anyone book this bastard closer to Philly?)

Ah ... how it warms the cockles of my heart to see that someone recalls Beru Revue and Beru Ha Ha. (I, however, am not too young to remember Beru Revue ... and consumed rather a lot of Heineken over those years ... and dancing onstage to "Women Can Fly" and hula-ing to "Moving to Hawaii ..." Oh thank you vsp for bringing back Many Many happy memories for me!!! (I was officially a groupie ... and only recently gave up my "BRU RVU" vanity plate to replace it with "SLVR WF" I was splitting my groupie time between Beru Revue and The Flamin' Caucasians ... who I still get out to see from time to time.

And I also appreciate the musical stylings of Dr. John Valby ... who I saw at West Chester State College (yes, that long ago) for a "Totally Tasteless Evening". I have a signed copy of his album "Concerto for Piano and 499 Screaming Assholes"

Oh, and who else have I seen?

The Hooters (before the national album, back when they were good)
Steeleye Span
Renaissance
The Heartbeats
Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers
Twisted Sister (yes, I admit it)
Dokken
Cinderella (2x)
David Lee Roth
Peter Gabriel (2x)
Laurie Anderson
Cheap Trick
REO Speedwagon (3x)
Bon Jovi
Roger Waters
The Moody Blues
Radio Rodeo (another defunct philly band ...)
Johnny's Dance Band
Brittny Fox
Crystal Ship (a Doors cover band, when people first started doing that stuff ... they showed up several hours late at WCU, just in time to prevent the riot)
Jane Sibbery (who I really ended up liking, but she had the misfortune of playing at the Chestnut Cabaret on the same night as a Beru Revue Farewell (to Buzz Barkley) show, so the crowd was just not at all interested in her and heckled her pretty incessantly)
The Monkees
Chuck Mangione
Benny Goodman
Harry Chapin
Sha Na Na
Helen Reddy
(I used to live down the street from Temple University Music Fair and went there nearly every night during the season)

Whoops ... almost forgot that I went to the Lilith Fair one time, so I saw
Sarah MacLachlan
Missy Elliot
That chick who used to be with 10,000 Maniacs ... you know, what's her name ... Natalie Merchant
and a bunch of other people I just don't remember ... maybe the Indigo Girls?
(and no, I wasn't really invested in seeing the lilith fair, but I knew someone who had really wanted to go, bought 4 tickets and strong-armed 4 friends into going. I was soooo out of the demographic it wasn't funny ... (okay, the male friend that went with was more out of the demo, but as a straight, white later 30something female, I was a bit out of my depth ...)

Oh gods, I know there are so many more, but the years and dead brain cells (and the fact that I am at work and trying to rush typing this are not helping right now)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 08-08-2001 at 10:35 PM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 06:58 PM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Are you bagging pulsing lights, mind-numbing techno and glowsticks? =P
Yes.

Seriously, I like glowsticks. I like mind-numbing techno (Underworld is probably my favorite). Pulsing lights make me ill though.

Quote:
Bah, generation difference i think. Clubs aren't jstu meat markets any mroe, you go with freinds for a good time - sure you might pick up and plenty of *ahem* stuff happens but thats not relaly why you go. Most are there for the music and the atnosphere which is of course often enhanced by little pills.....Haven't been to many full on raves - most are 18+ only but i go to an event called earthcore when its on 1-5 day raves held in natural locaiton - often natural parks with minimal enviroment impact.
Raves like that have been going on here for years, particularly out in the deserts of the Southwest. But clubs have been meat markets for years in the States...and probably will be for some time. Of course, it depends on the club. I used to hang out at a few jazz dives in St. Louis...now those were sweet!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 08:44 PM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Knew I Forgot at Least One ...

And of course, its the most surreal experience of the bunch ...

Ladysmith Black Mambazo

What's surreal about that do you ask?

Where I saw them.

Norristown State Hospital.

No Really!!!!

Building #33 (The community center)

It was a benefit concert for the Noyes Foundation for Schizophrenia Research ... I know the program director of the research unit at NSH and he "hooked me up" ... I got to hang out after the show and meet the performers. It was WONDERFUL.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 01:15 AM   #22
jaguar
whig

It *so* does rely on the club, some clubs here are pure meat markets (and this is underage!) but alot of good ones aren't! GOd i lvoe jazz clubs - havne't had a chance to go for *ages* somthig i've got to drag a few people to one of these weekends =)
Big jazz fan.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:09 PM   #23
thx3232
Neophyte-in-training

The idea of 'how many bands' is sort of a cool idea. I've never really sat down and tried to list them. The following list dosen't include a lot of crap I have forgotten. At least half of the shows I have been going to for the past 10 years are 'All Ages Shows'. For the most part they are bands that are young and don't last long, so they won't be in the list...

Fugazi X 3
God Speed You Black Emperor
Kid Koala
Blaster the Rocket Boy
Masada (John Zorn project)
Medeski Martin and Wood
Butthole Sufers
Roadside Monument
Icarus Line
Havalina Rail Company
Stereolab
Blur (yuck)
Radiohead (in a small bar no less)
the Evaporators
Pavement X 2
Sebadoh
Kronos Quartet
Zony Mash
Orange Symphonette
Hepcat
Slackers
MXPX
DOA
Citizen Fish
Subhumans (Vancouver, not UK)
NoMeansNo
Morrissey
Melvins
Dillenger Escape Plan
All State Champion
Neil Young
Pedro the Lion many times
90 pound wuss
Ween
Murder City Devils
Motley Crew
AC DC
Bob Log 111
the Immortal Lee County Killers
Modest Mouse
Fire Hose
Primus
Rush
Red Hot Chili Peppers
thee Pirates (how could I forget)
the Need
Rancid
Black Heart Procession
Death Cab For Cutie
Dameian Jurado
Mecca Normal
DRI
Kataclysm
Me, Mom, and Morgentaler

I seem to be digging now, so I'd best stop.
These kinds of lists suck cause I know that as soon as I hit 'Post' I will remember some band that's like, damm, how could I forget them. Oh well.
But all I want to see is www.mchawking.com. Oh cruel world, why doesn't he tour more?
thx3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 03:32 PM   #24
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Didn't like Blur? Was it the band that sucked, or just the show?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:05 PM   #25
thx3232
Neophyte-in-training

Brit Pop

No, I'm not a big brit pop fan. So I would say it's the band. They were opening for Stereolab.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:02 PM   #26
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Blur seems like one of those bands that is great in the studio, but would suck live. I dunno...I love their last album ("13"), but I can't imagine them doing it live. I guess I would have to see it. Radiohead makes a fantastic album, and the times I've seen concert footage of them, they pull it off so well.

They were OPENING for Stereolab? Wow...that must have been what? Early-to-mid 90s?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 06:26 PM   #27
thx3232
Neophyte-in-training

mmmm...

.../94-/95 I think.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:06 PM   #28
Griff
still says videotape

Whatever happened to Tommy Conwell? I saw him a couple times and he really could put on a show.

I was wasting a lot of time trying to come up with all the bands I've seen, so I thought why not bend the idea a little...

Who were the best acts you ever saw?

I saw the Neville Brothers during their Live from Planet Earth tour, that was the single best show I ever saw great rhythmns, great message.

I recently saw the David Grisman Quintet. He plays a really accessable style of mandolin driven jazz called Dawg that draws a lot from bluegrass something like you'd get from Bela Fleck, only a little more rootsy. (Y'all might have heard him when he played some with Jerry Garcia)

Paul Simon Rhythm of the Saints Tour, just fantastic, little bit for everyone there probably the widest age differential I ever saw at a concert.

All three were outdoor venues which in my old age is the only way to see a concert.

Its funny what jag was saying about the Aussie music scene, when I was his age Australia was where all the bands came from...
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 01:18 PM   #29
Griff
still says videotape

Dagnabit (no longer a copyright infringement?)

Dulp! I couldn't even do that right, I forgot John Lee Hooker saw him in a little theatre with a Dr. Funkenstein, whole different kinda show...
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 10:18 PM   #30
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Griff: You're right about all the bands coming form australia. Especially if you're like me and really into the punk scene; every two days I hear another excellent punk or ska band coming out of australia, and the scene seems so alive down there (from the two or three exchange students and online aussies I've talked to).
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote