The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-17-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Not AGAIN !!!

I just found this , http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ypt-fatwa.html

A Fatwa has been declaired against the ancent Egyption monuments !!!

First the Budas now this !!!!!

WHAT the FUCK !!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
Ibby
erika

A. It's spelled Buddha.

B. The Egyptian government isn't quite going around planting C-4 on their monuments...

C. The leader dude didn't say "blow up monuments", he said "you shouldn't have statues in your home"
Old 05-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

A. It's spelled Buddha.
Scuze me just a drunk redneck here

B. The Egyptian government isn't quite going around planting C-4 on their monuments...
But they are afraid that some body will do something STUPID !

C. The leader dude didn't say "blow up monuments", he said "you shouldn't have statues in your home"
I didn't see that in the posted link .

All I was saying was that it would be a TRAVISTY ( may be spelt wrong , DEAL WITH IT !!!) for any of these works of art to be destroyed for religious reasons .
Just my 2 cents .
Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
I didn't see that in the posted link .
Quote:
Gomaa said he based the edict on texts in the Hadith, a record of the sayings or customs of the Prophet Muhammad and his companions. The hadith declare the exhibition of statues in homes to be un-Islamic.

The fatwa did not specifically mention statues in museums or public places. But many academics and art lovers were outraged.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Gomaa, the Egyptian mufti, reportedly pointed to a passage from the hadith that stated, "Sculptors would be tormented most on Judgment Day."
Imagine what will happen to 3D modelers and programmers.

Actually there's a bunch of Flash programmers I think should be tortured.:-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

Why aren't photographers and painters in the same amount of deep water as sculptors? Aren't they looking at boobies too?

Meh. And people come down on Christians.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
rkzenrage

http://www.iespell.com/ In case you don't like using the spell check on the site.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

ZippyT doesn't need the spell checker to make himself clearly understood.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
http://www.iespell.com/ In case you don't like using the spell check on the site.
Friends don't let friends use IE.:-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

I doubt it's a problem with boobies (consensual, marital sex is considered one of/the highest forms of worship). Rather, the whole issue is one of idols and idolatry.

The short version of Islam's version of the Abraham & kids story is that Abraham destroyed his father's idols, except for one (the largest), claimed that it destroyed all the others, and later Ishmael and Hagar (Abraham's son & wife's handmaiden, respectively) found the Ka'ba and settled in now-Mecca as the first Muslims.

The important part is that the idols are symbols of other gods and in turn of polytheism, and that a very fundamental tenet of Islam (& Christianity, & Judaism) is the the exclusionary monotheism.

Another critical tenet of Islam is not to create images/icons of god or, I believe, the prophet: something about keeping the focus on the message & on God. This is why you see very little ancient Islamic art that is not calligraphy or architecture.

I suspect that in the context of the Hadith (7th century SW Asia), there was very little sculpture as "art for art's sake"; that it was predominately religious, and that, given you are forbidden on the one hand from making sculptures of God, forbidden on the other from making sculptures of other gods, and probably going to be accused of falsely deifying someone if you try to sculpt, say, your buddy Joe or your favorite rich patron, there really is very little room for sculpture.

And so, if in their society there is no legitimate place for sculpture as an art form, if essentially any sort of sculpture is inherently heretical, it makes sense to a) forbid or discourage people from trying to find the very fine line of acceptable sculpture, b) say that "sculptors shall be tormented most."

That said, IANASIJ (I Am Not A Scholar of Islamic Jurisprudence), & I like sculpture.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
mrnoodle
bent

that's fascinating. i always assumed it was a "decency" thing, portraying the human form or something.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by God
"I am the Lord your God,who brought you out of Egypt, from the place of slavery. Do not have any other gods before Me. Do not represent [such] gods by any carved statue or picture of anything in the heaven above, on the earth below, or in the water below the land. Do not bow down to [such gods] or worship them."
This is all just a variation on The Second Commandment. Good thing Muslims and Christians are killing each other over their major differences.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
warch
lurkin old school

Anybody see that PBS/ Natl geographic about the "Lost Treasures of Afghanistan"? It was fascinating. They profiled people who hid artworks from the Taliban, (paintings, film), and what was most interesting was the mourning of the destroyed Buddahs and search for a legendary remaining giant Buddah—a reclining one— that they suspect awaits excavation. They think they found the foot.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
A. It's spelled Buddha.

etc.
Ibram, since you are new here I'm guessing you didn't get the memo. Zippyt is exempt from correct spelling, as am I, even though my finger is better. I've just gotten lazy with the shift key.

carry on.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
Ibby
erika

I'm sure a christian would whirl on me if I wrote Jeesis... And a muslim would probably not be pleased if I wrote Aleh... I'm allowed to prefer correct spelling of Buddha.