The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-30-2003, 12:06 PM   #1
toadlicker80
Non-Newbie Sort

Concerts of the past vs. concerts of the present.

I was born after Woodstock, but my guess is that concert experiences during that time must have been quite a bit different than they are now. Do you think live music is something that will eventually be phased out, or do you enjoy going to concerts? How do you think our live performers of today compare to live shows of the 60s and 70s?
toadlicker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
Odd_Bloke
Resident Denizen

I would say that concerts have got worse. However, bear a few facts in mind:
  • I'm 15
  • I'm into heavy metal so only know about old gigs by those performers I like
  • I am subjected to crappy gigs on MTV or whatever on a permanent basis

Thusly I am probably jaded.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

The main shift I see has been from the intimate club concert to the mega corporate sponsored stadium arena concert. I'm a fan of the small to medium venue or theater.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:47 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Mega stadium concerts have been around since the early to mid 70's. The first time I saw Elton John was in KC's Arrowhead Stadium (where the Chiefs play) in 1973. In fact, multi-band gigs in large venues had been going on long before that. I think the difference now is primarily cost and yes, corporate sponsorship.

I can't honestly say that the quality of shows was better back in my youth, but I can say there was a hell of a lot more bang for the buck, even allowing for inflation. There was also a much lower sponsorship profile back then. Hell, you can't even pay to go to a movie anymore without seeing commercials. You used to get a cartoon or two, now you feel lucky they even show you the movie.

I will say that I am one of those people who don't worry much about "geezer rock". I mean, no one poo-pooed Horowitz when he played Moscow when he was in his 90's. Why should anyone think it odd that Jagger or Townshend or McCartney are still cranking it out?(okay, Daltrey probably feels a little silly having to sing "Hope I die before I get old"...)but at least he and Pete are still around, unlike Keith and John) As long you *can* do it, I say, fuckin' A, do it! People only get more skilled with age and practice, not less.

I paid a damn hefty sum to see Elton John and Billy Joel's last KC stop (me, the wife and three kids, seats behind the stage, and $65.00 a ticket with "fees", plus $10 parking and a bunch of $6.00 sodas), but damn it, it was an *amazing* performance. And I saw both of those guys back when they were the new kids on the musical block...back when I was a relatively new kid, myself, damn the aging process!

Live performance technology is incredible these days, and technically, for the most part, live shows are actually a better product than they were 30 years ago. Even the crash-bang stuff has the advantages of superior sound and lighting technology.

Summary? It is all good...then, and now. I just wish I could afford to *go*! Bands that I am missing this summer include REM, Aerosmith w/Kiss, Jane's Addiction, Dave Matthews, The Crusaders, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac...this has been a damn good year for concerts, and I'll not see a single goddamn one of them...sigh.

What was the original question again? I've been rambling.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:05 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Live performance technology is incredible these days, and technically, for the most part, live shows are actually a better product than they were 30 years ago. Even the crash-bang stuff has the advantages of superior sound and lighting technology.
Very true. Most concerts, except for the Who's Quadrophenia, the sound systems were pretty much the same. The bigger the act, the bigger the speaker stack. Instruments and mikes into amps then back to the onstage monitors so the band could hear themselves. Then mikes in front of stage monitors to amplifiers, a mixing board and huge speaker stacks. Certainly a lot of compromise to prevent feedback and mud.
Now it's all digital straight from the instruments and mikes to a digital mixing board then amped to speakers.
Also wireless headsets and mikes make it possible to eliminate stage monitors and feedback. Old fashioned microphones are only needed to hang Steve Tyler's scarves on.
Digital has improved the sound so much, you can hear how bad the band's are these days. Why back when I walked to school, uphill, both ways.....
Old 07-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
toadlicker80
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Old fashioned microphones are only needed to hang Steve Tyler's scarves on.
Digital has improved the sound so much, you can hear how bad the band's are these days. Why back when I walked to school, uphill, both ways.....

Some live acts are still good, like O.A.R. If you ever get the chance, go to one of their concerts. They're one of the best live concert experiences I've ever had - it's much like what I would imagine the 60s and 70s concerts to be like in terms of atmosphere. They're very much like the Dave Matthews band, not just sound-wise, but also because the energy I feel at their concert is so vibrant and contageous. Their CD (In Betwen Now and Then - http://www.ofarevolution.com) does a good job of capturing their live sound. I was relieved to find that their live energy translates in the studio - since it's their first major label deal, I wasn't sure if the CD would do the live show justice, but it does. But definitely go to one of their concerts if you can, it's incredible.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
the energy I feel at their concert is so vibrant and contageous.
That come as much from the crowd as from the stage. When the crowd is there to see/hear the band rather than to be seen at the "in" event of the week/month/season then the energy level cranks up exponentialy. When everything is right, it's incredible.
Sometimes I feel sorry for an opening band. Captain Beefheart played his ass off when he finally got a chance to play the Spectrum. When he was done, about 3 out of 20,000 people applauded. So he says into the mike "Whatsa matter, Dincha like it" and half of the 20k screamed "No, we want Tull"
Then again JoJo Gunn opened and stole the damn show from the featured band. :p
Old 07-01-2003, 04:03 PM   #8
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I don't think I've ever been to an arena rock concert. Partly because I don't like bands that are that popular. I suppose I would like to see Pearl Jam, REM, or Neil Young. But just the expense and the impersonalness of it turns me off. Plus, I saw Pearl Jam back in the day when I was a Lollapaloozer. They are a great band, but I haven't heard their latest stuff. I go to a lot of shows at clubs like First Ave (mainroom is pretty big, but no arena) and 400 Bar. I've seen a lot of nationally known acts at these places and the setting is more intimate and just a lot more fun than I imagine the Xcel Center or Target Center would be. Plus I can wriggle my way to the front of the stage if I feel like it. Oh, moshing is fun too. :p
Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 AM   #9
headsplice
Relaxed

Arena rock sucks
I've seen a couple of shows in the aforementioned Target Center (Minneapolis) and the Xcel (St. Paul). The acoustics, while good for sporting events, have waaaaayyy too much reverb. If you're wearing earplugs, you can almost make out harmonies and melodies.
My favorite local place to see music is the Quest, which used to be owned in part by Prince. Granted, they play the kind of music that I like, but the acoustics are really good for most shows and the ability of the space to change based on need is pretty impressive.
And...speaking of enormous speaker stacks, has anyone else seen/heard/remember the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound? It isn't too often that the sound system will bankrupt a group, but there ya go.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:12 PM   #10
toadlicker80
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Sometimes I feel sorry for an opening band. Captain Beefheart played his ass off when he finally got a chance to play the Spectrum. When he was done, about 3 out of 20,000 people applauded. So he says into the mike "Whatsa matter, Dincha like it" and half of the 20k screamed "No, we want Tull"
It must take balls of steel to walk away from that and not want to jump in front of a truck.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:01 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mmmmm....acoustics.
Carly Simon and Jonathan Edwards or Grand Funk at the Academy of Music.
Genisis and Foghat at the Walnut Street Theater.
David Bowie or Jethro Tull or Jefferson Airplane/Starship or David Bromburg or Joe Satriani or anybody at the Tower.
And uphill to school...both ways.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:04 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Genisis and Foghat at the Walnut Street Theater.

Now you've got my attention. What year?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:29 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Early '70's. maybe '71 or 2.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:08 AM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Genesis at KCKS Memorial Hall, 1975, fifth row seats in a 1500 seat hall, last tour with Gabriel, with the band doing the entirety of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and finishing up with the The Musical Box, Watcher of the Skies, and I Know What I Like.

I sat right in front of Steve Hackett for the whole show. Killer. Best show of my life, no contest.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:58 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well done gents. I was a huge Genesis fan in my youth and would have been stunned to hear of someone who'd seen them during their heyday. 71 must have been their first time in the US. I know that by 73 they were playing the Tower.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote