The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #2146
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I'd like to change my name to Cherryh.
Cherreh?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #2147
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Herz namez iz Cherreh!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #2148
Beest
Adapt and Survive

More Ian M . Banks, Surface Detail. Culture book, I'm nearly 200 pages in, about 1/3, and the 3 or 4 plot lines are coalesing into a story. Most of the stuff I read is done in 200 pages
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #2149
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

Why, oh why did no one warn me that this was a "My Boyfriend is a Vampire" book. Also ... it says "a novel" on the cover. Implies a single event, right? No, the damn thing is part of a series that isn't yet written. I noticed I was running out of pages before I ran out of story and went, ut-oh ...

Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
read this as an antidote to the irritation of the Witch book.

On the Beach - Nevil Shute
one of my online bookclub sets forth three challenges per month that I'm poor at meeting. I have to read something about siblings, something with a summery word in the title, and I forget the third one. Since I don't read books with drawings of Fabio on the front, I have chosen this as my Summery Word in the Title book. And it's also additional antidote to that witch book. I need to scrub that out of my brain, kind of like how you use the coffee beans to reset your scent receptors when checking out perfumes.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #2150
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Grave Goods - Ariana Franklin

I love the Mistress of the Art of Death books, this is the third in the series. They're mysteries, set in England during the reign of Henry II. The mystery parts are quite good. The author apologizes for and points out historical inaccuracies in the afterward, frankly, I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't said something.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #2151
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm having book ADD again ...

Cyborg - Martin Caidin
The Machine of Death
Doctor Who and the Wheel in Space - Terrance Dicks
Caged in Darkness - J.D. Stroub (online friend of author, trying to find diplomatic way of writing review, so I'm taking my time with the book)
Red Mars - Kin Stanley Robinson
The Power of Four: Leadership Lessons of Crazy Horse - Joseph Marshall III
The Age of Odin - James Lovegrove
The Yiddish Policemen's Union - Michael Chabon

I read a little bit, put the book down, decide I want to know what's going on in another one, or I end up in another room where the book isn't but there is a book at my elbow, so I read based on availability ...

Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #2152
Griff
still says videotape

I just started Neuromancer by William Gibson.
Beautiful and Abundant: Building the World We Want by Bryan Welch. He is a Mother Earth News editor laying out ideas for how we as individuals can improve the way our world operates without getting caught up in ideas that are not self-sustaining. He is interesting because his magazine manages to occupy a market space which includes dirty hippies, survivalists, small farmers, and backyard and urban gardeners.
I'm continuing to read The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle. So far, most of it is adopted wholesale from Buddhist thought but I'm enjoying the way he relates and defends the idea of being present.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #2153
DanaC

I loved neuromancer. I went through a Gibson phase in my 20s. Some awesome stuff.

I have just finished the second Jack Nightingale mystery, Moonlight, by Stephen Leather, on audio. Bloody marvellous. I listened to the firts and second in quick succession and am now bereft as the next one is yet to be written.

They're like a traditional detective story but with a supernatural satanic twist. Excellent lead character.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #2154
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just finished The Secret Tunnel by James Lear.
Not quite as filthy as The Back Passage but well worth buying second hand for 99p.

I want to get The Hot Valley next.

They are much better written than most erotic fiction, as he is a real author. By which I mean he is a published author of mainstream fiction. And the storylines hold together as well as the one-wank-per-chapter set pieces. But yes, it's mostly the pron

Also reading some Mandasue Heller's Mum got from the library.
Not so good.
I'm wading through them because I don't like to see books unfinished. But they're essentially dull and have a minor plot stretched thin across far too many pages.

Snatched and Two-Faced.
Avoid.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #2155
DanaC

I don't have a book on the go at the moment. I want something similar in tone to the Jack Nightingale stories I just finished.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #2156
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

there are several books I wanna read but I'm gonna have to buy them from Amazon as stupid library doesn't have them and prolly never will.

Reading my Father - Alexandra Styron

The House on Crash Corner - Greenstein

Bad Dog - Martin Kihn
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #2157
glatt

I just saw that Neal Stephenson's next new book is coming out next week. I had no idea it was coming. He takes so long between books, I forget about them. The new book got a good review on BoingBoing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #2158
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I finished rereading Song of Ice and Fire... Now I have to wait again.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #2159
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up, glatt.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #2160
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Received and read Hot Valley.
Enjoyed muchly.
I know from reading around the book that he ensured it was as historically accurate as possible, which meant nothing jarred. As long as you accept it's gay pron and every man the main characters meet will be gay, bi, curious, or easily persuaded

Rollicking good fun though, even if it is all wrapped up rather neatly. But then romantic fiction has that downfall, without lots of torrid sex to offset it.

Now waiting for Sticky End.

Also read Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel.
I know it's been out years, but I never saw it for £1 before. I'd already read her second - More, Now, Again which I feel I should reread in the light of the first.

I disliked her Epilogue. It was very much of the time, and essentially wrong. I know hindsight is a powerful tool, but she was (is) super-bright and was the Senior Prefect of the zeitgeist after all. Sorry darling, you extrapolated your own feelings and writ them large and it was just what you were seeing after all, not a world change.

Oh and read the dreadful The Devil's Numbers by G M Hague.
Just awful. The same scenario over and over again with more detail given to the imminent victim than the supposed heroes. And huge logistical gaps ie the characters targeted, the malevolence with which they are treated and their subsequent behaviour.

Rubbish. Back to the charity shop. I did pick it in a hurry when I was waiting for the bus though.

Tags
books