Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 08-15-2002, 06:25 PM   #1
Ra
Resident-in-Training

Favorite Sports

What sports do you all follow?

I only watch soccer (when its on) sumo (when its on) and Mixed Martial Arts (UFC and Pride etc.).
Old 08-15-2002, 07:24 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'll watch just about anything, but primarily American football, hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, and lacrosse. I can't watch golf for too long...it makes me sleepy.

Oh, and let me just make it clear for those not in the know...let's just face it right now. You all know that the St. Louis Rams are going to avenge last year's sloppy Super Bowl. And Hubris STILL owes me dinner.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 06:51 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Baseball live, radio, and tv majors or minors until they go on strike, American Football only on tv, Soccer every four years plus the occasional live MLS game but I don't follow their standings. We've got AHL hockey again so we'll catch a couple live games. I also hit the occasional Jr Sr high school wrestling tournament.

btw golf is not a sport
Old 08-16-2002, 07:07 AM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
btw golf is not a sport
yeah, but theres no better sleep aid than golf on tv.

i used to hate watching baseball, but ive become much more interested lately. i watch the rockies quite a bit. i suspect i watch it more for the same reason that people slow down to see an accident than for the "love of the game".

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Hockey is, by a wide margin, my number one. I have a 15-game plan for the (AHL) Philadelphia Phantoms each year, and have started making the trek up to catch some (ECHL) Reading Royals games as well.

I like baseball, I like football, but I don't watch much of either one. I watch it more when either the Phillies or Eagles are playing games that are actually meaningful, which limits my viewing time; the last time the Phillies played a meaningful game was close to a decade ago.

I have respect for soccer, but don't watch it, unless it's one of the FIFA games for the PlayStation (and even then, it's me watching a friend play; I can't get into console sports games much).

I loathe basketball with a passion.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:37 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Football: I'll watch every Eagles game and a handful of other games, about half of the playoff games and the super bowl. I have several "oh wow" stories from the 1998-9 seasons where I worked on the Eagles website.

Hockey: I'll watch about 15 select Flyers games and most Flyers playoff games, and go to about 2 per season. I won't watch a full game of any other team during the regular season. I'll watch a handful of playoff games of other teams and as much of the Cup Final as I can catch, but I won't skip a social occasion to see 'em.

Soccer: spent a year of my growing-up in England, so it's deeply rooted in me, but there's no local MLS squad, and it's hard to follow the English leagues from here.

Basketball: despise it.

Baseball: mostly boycotted since the 94 strike.

Computer: enjoy almost all sports games on computer, but still don't have a console (to my shame). Play a lot of EA: NHL, FIFA. I also enjoy career league simulations, where you get to be the general manager of a team. It's like fantasy football on steroids, a rare niche of games that a minority of computer gamers go for. (You have to be that rare combination of total nerd and sports fan.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 11:41 AM   #7
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
I have several "oh wow" stories from the 1998-9 seasons where I worked on the Eagles website.
Would you mind posting one or a few?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 12:02 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

One day while the Toad was installing video cameras in the cheerleaders locker room...
Old 08-16-2002, 12:08 PM   #9
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Computer: enjoy almost all sports games on computer, but still don't have a console (to my shame). Play a lot of EA: NHL, FIFA. I also enjoy career league simulations, where you get to be the general manager of a team. It's like fantasy football on steroids, a rare niche of games that a minority of computer gamers go for. (You have to be that rare combination of total nerd and sports fan.) [/b]
I spent somewhere between 27.4% and 32.3% of my youth playing Micro League Baseball on my old Apple II. Nothing else compares.

(Marty Bystrom, 1980 Philadelphia Phillies, was my secret weapon.)
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 12:37 PM   #10
headsplice
Relaxed

the Wild, the Vikings, the Thunder, and (becuase of my roomate) the Timberwolves are all on at some point or another in my place. I don't follow them avdily, but, I just moved about six blocks from the Excel Energy Center (where the Wild play) so I want to go to some hockey games this winter.