The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Russians Exporting Nukes.

The Russians want to sell all their oil for cash money, I guess, because they are planning to built a ton of nuclear power plants.
Quote:
Russia will commission at least two nuclear reactors a year beginning in 2010 as part of a massive effort to expand its nuclear energy sector, Russia’s top nuclear official said Wednesday, The Associated Press reported.

Sergei Kiriyenko, head of the Federal Atomic Energy Agency, said the ambitious program would begin with the launch of construction next year of a new nuclear power plant near St. Petersburg, the ITAR-Tass and RIA Novosti news agencies reported. The new plant with four nuclear reactors would cost $6 billion, Kiriyenko said. He said the new plant would be located next to the existing nuclear plant in Sosnovy Bor, near St. Petersburg.

Nuclear power accounts for 16 percent to 17 percent of Russia’s electricity generation, and the Kremlin has set a target to raise its share to one-quarter by 2030. Kiriyenko said recently that Russia would have to build 40 new reactors to meet the goal.

In recent years, Russia has overcome a public backlash against nuclear power that followed the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster, and the government has supported an ambitious program to develop its nuclear industry.

Kiriyenko said his agency also hoped to build more reactors abroad. He said China, in particular, was likely to place orders for more reactors after the successful launch of the first Russia-built nuclear reactor.
Hey, maybe we can get them to build some in North Korea....and Iran.....and...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

and australia hopefully, this world needs more nuclear power. enough with this fossil fuel crap
Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You want your very own Chernobyl?

I'm in favor of nukes, I know they can be operated safely, but I'd be cautious who I bought them from. As much as I hate to admit it, the French seem to have been the most successful at building multiple cookie cutter plants.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
As much as I hate to admit it, the French seem to have been the most successful at building multiple cookie cutter plants.
The French are the guys the Israelis steal from when they want to steal the very best not made in the USA.

Rumor has it the Israeli nuclear program, as well as some of it's aviation, was built on French designs.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
As much as I hate to admit it, the French seem to have been the most successful at building multiple cookie cutter plants.
First the V-22 admission now bowing to the frogs, are you sufficiently patriotic? I have my doubts.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What V-22 admission? Are you disparaging the Marine Corps...punk.:p

We never had a chance to build cookie cutter plants here because every plant built was to a different set of rules. The US powers that were, kept changing the rules.
France set a design and charged ahead, just making minor upgrades instead up major redesigns as they went.

Of course that may be why the french people are so wacky but that wouldn't be a problem for the Aussies.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
NoBoxes

Quote:
originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Of course that may be why the french people are so wacky but that wouldn't be a problem for the Aussies.
Que Syrah Shiraz!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
jaguar
whig

The chance of another Chernobyl is pretty miniscule, today's reactors have far more sophisticated safety mechanisms and by the nature of how they work and the coolants/cooling systems/reactor control systems used are far less likely to be able to be pushed to blow. If they did, the design of the housing structures is now meant to be able to contain the resulting explosion, rather than assisting sending plumes of radioactive material into the air.

Renewable are great but they're not consistent, if we want to get off the dead dinos we're going to need to get a lot more nuclear.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If we could capture and store lightning, we would have all the power we need. The nano battery technology from MIT might be a step in the right direction.