The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #211
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

It seems that the Philly area is reaping economic benefits from Sandy. Hardware stores and car dealerships are doing loads of business.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #212
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cleaning up a week later...

Something about this picture of crap being thrown away that puzzles me. I've seen it in pictures from other floods, large and small, also. I see things that could be easily cleaned and sterilized, and wonder if they just want new stuff, or it was in the cellar/garage and decided to finally let it go, or something else?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #213
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Maybe the smell just never goes away (like with cat urine).
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #214
Griff
still says videotape

Its probably a question of insurance. I helped a friend hit all her washable furniture with bleach, since she had no insurance. Others who were well covered just curbed it all.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #215
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Hurricane Sandy, foolishly called a 'superstorm', was a Category 'near zero' hurricane. But it did much damage in some tiny areas.

FEMA has now revised their maps on what was damaged and what is necessary to build safely. Those inspired by hype saw pictures of houses in Mantoloking washed from their foundations. Having visited the devastated areas, I could easily provide pictures showing massive damage. But that was isolated and in places where no homes should have existed.

For example, many of those towns are so improperly constructed that roads literally climb up on the dunes to access homes on the ocean. In responsible towns, homes are built back from the dunes. But since homes were built foolishly, then we should call the 'near zero' hurricane a superstorm?

Well, FEMA has just come forth with maps. For example, Seaside Heights suffered near zero damage. But Ortley Beach, the next town north, had some small areas devastated. New FEMA standards apply to many New Jersey towns.

The town of Highlands was foolishly constructed. Its entire business district will be buried in yards (implies at least six feet or 2 meters) of sand for $25million. And then new buildings will be constructed where no buildings should have existed.

All homes in Mantoloking must be raised nine feet (3 meters) higher. Homes in the inland parts of Point Pleasant must be raised 6 to 8 feet. Otherwise insurance rates increase by an average $20,000 annually.

As reported earlier, little damage occurred where the strongest parts of Sandy made landfall. View the weather radar as Sandy made landfall. An arrow points to Avalon and Stone Harbor. (Eye traveled just below MIV and ILG). Go north towards LGA (LaGuardia Airport). Where clear skies get close to rainfall (green) is where Mantoloking is located. They suffered less hurricane force. And most damage. Why? FEMA is now saying with numbers that Mantoloking - a tribute to people with contempt for science - must raise their buildings … by nine feet.

I visited the Mantoloking Post Office. Located along the back bay where wind and resulting waves were trivial. It suffered normal flooding damage. Water was up to building’s ceiling. Even a Post Office was constructed where buildings must be disposable.

View above numbers. A building not properly raised means an insurance bill increases another $20,000. Sanity thanks to Sandy.

Last edited by tw; 02-15-2013 at 08:20 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote