The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

View Poll Results: Slashdot is...
My only news source 2 12.50%
redirected to 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file 2 12.50%
Kinda funny, in a really sad way. 3 18.75%
The bunt out hulk of something grand 3 18.75%
Dangerous to small websites. 2 12.50%
slashwhat?? 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2002, 02:56 AM   #1
jaguar
whig

Ladies and Gentlemen

Ladies and Gentlemen..

I hereby present the final and conclusive proof that slashdot has completed its steady decline from fast quality newsite into a large, sticky pile of bandwidth gulping drivel:

huzzah!

Its a bit like watching a car crash in slow motion.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:26 AM   #2
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

I gave up on reading /. about 8 months ago. I found myself not reading any of the articles, just scanning the comments for humor. Once I realized that this technical website was turning into jokeaday for me, I quit reading it.
But I do like articles like those. They bring that wonderful publicity to those gods of computing at AMD, which they need these days and up until the Hammer comes out and crushes Insmell to tiny bits.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:44 AM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

morbid curiousity sends me to slashdot each day, at least thats what i tell myself. much like blowmee, i do scan the comments for humour, but i think habit takes me there every day. i much prefer the register as far as my geek news is concerned, in no small part due to the bastard operator from hell, which isnt updated nearly enough. so it looks like we generally agree slashdot sucks, what sites _do_ we like for that sort of news?

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 08:54 AM   #4
dave

The only Slashdot I check out nowadays is http://apple.slashdot.org - that's about all I'm interested in anymore. I read other Mac news sites too.

Tom's Hardware keeps me up on hardware news. A that's that, I guess. Pretty sad. I can't stand Slashdot anymore though.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:05 PM   #5
perth
Strong Silent Type

ok, so this is why i visit slashdot. alton brown kicks ass.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 01:44 PM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I still go to /. about 2 or 3 times a week and scan the headlines. IT news is such a commodity these days.... I mean, if I want computer industry news with a bad attitude (and I do), I'll read The Register. But once in a while there is a link to something interesting or odd that was passed over by other sites. I don't ever read the comments... I never did, much, but I gave even that up.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 04:50 PM   #7
jaguar
whig

The Register
IMHO the best tech news site out there.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:23 AM   #8
Mjk
Writer of Writings

I still consider Slashdot as a moderate newslink site, because it offers wide variety of tech news. I admit that the quality of the site has gone down dramatically in couple of years now, but I still haven't seen any other site offering so much interesting news bits as Slashdot does. And sometimes there is quite funny and insightful comments to be read.

I admit that I'm a news addict and I have to have my dose of news headlines every day. Even Slashdot is one (but not only) source that can satisfy my needs.
Mjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:09 AM   #9
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

I still read Slashdot news regularly...along with Plastic and Boing Boing.

Slashdot comments I look at only seldom; usually whne I'm moderating or I'm particularly interested in a topic that doesn't have much in the way of outlinks.

The crap comments is something you have to put up with when a site is both open and well-known. Personally I think removing ACs would improve the site....but there will always be trolls and kiddies.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote