The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-11-2002, 12:11 AM   #1
perth
Strong Silent Type

VH1s 100 greatest 1-hit wonders

just saw this on fark, thought i would post it here for the benefit of people who might not otherwise see it.

http://www.vh1.com/shows/series/100_...t_100-81.jhtml

this thing reads like a playlist from hell. im making a couple of mix cds for my next party using this list. fun fun.

actually, a couple of the bands on this list got really bad breaks. its tragic that in a world of n'sync and britney spears, bands like the verve are treated as flash-in-the-pan acts.

and i may be the only one here, but i love the crash test dummies.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:02 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah, you're right on there. Calling Devo a one-hit wonder? They've had a 25-year career.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 10:45 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

God...why does this irritate me?

I wonder how they compiled this...are they going strictly by Top 40 US hits? What a crock of shit. Faith No More had at least eight songs played on modern rock radio. I've counted a ton of bands on there that had more than one "hit"...29 out of 100 right off the top of my head. Fucking tools.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:29 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Sinbad O'Conner? Twisted Sister? The Proclaimers? Quiet Riot? Crash Test Dummies? Devo? Maybe if the empty suits at vh1 liked music they'd have listened to complete albums and follow up albums instead of trash heaping these bands and artists. They are not all my cup of tea but these folks all had followings. BTW Sunshine on Leith by the Proclaimers was a really nice pop album... the MBAs at VH1 be damned
Old 05-12-2002, 01:19 PM   #5
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
... the MBAs at VH1 be damned
Oh, Lord. Now you've gone and done it.

Tw's barely recovered from the HP Incident.

* runs for cover *
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 02:36 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

Ewww. Hideous songs I wish I had never heard:

"Never Been to Me"
"After the Lovin'"
"Havin' My Baby"
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 09:33 PM   #7
hotdude729
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

BIZ MARKIE Men without Hats

I saw the show and thought most sucked so i was glad they were only one hit wonders. BUT there were greats like Men without Hats and Biz Markie. THEY KICK MAJOR ASS!!! But the others blew and even Nsync is better then. Like the dumbass german guy Jello (or somthing close) that did the mother fucking "Putting on the ritz." THAT IS JUST AWFUL. EVEN YOUR MOTHER SHOULD BE ASHAMED
hotdude729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:10 PM   #8
elSicomoro

Re: BIZ MARKIE Men without Hats

Quote:
Originally posted by hotdude729
Like the dumbass german guy Jello (or somthing close) that did the mother fucking "Putting on the ritz." THAT IS JUST AWFUL. EVEN YOUR MOTHER SHOULD BE ASHAMED
Tell us how you really feel.

IIRC, Taco was of Dutch descent, and born in Indonesia.

I think I have that on vinyl back home. It was covers of old-school big-band tunes.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:27 PM   #9
hotdude729
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Cool Taco

Taco Jello, close enough. First i would like to say that he WAS a German star. And if you really do have the vinyl then i pity you and feel sorry for your lack of judgement. Why did, or do, you like him? He is a lipstick wearing freak that cant sing worth crap and even worse then his singing are his lyrics. Hell, i could do better
Old 05-21-2002, 08:23 PM   #10
elSicomoro

Re: Taco

Quote:
Taco Jello, close enough. First i would like to say that he WAS a German star.
"He was born Taco Ockerse to a Dutch couple in Jakarta, Indonesia, on July 21, 1955."

That's from a fan's site, but you can also check out Taco's official site for more info. Moral of the story: Though he is based in Germany now...and appears to be a star there, he is of Dutch descent.

Quote:
And if you really do have the vinyl then i pity you and feel sorry for your lack of judgement. Why did, or do, you like him? He is a lipstick wearing freak that cant sing worth crap and even worse then his singing are his lyrics. Hell, i could do better
The record came out when you were still in diapers. At the time, it fit in well with the 80s. I didn't even know the guy was still around until I looked on the web. The song was a one-off ditty that was fun when it came out (1982). The album as a whole was alright...exactly as I described it in a previous post.

Tell you what, why don't you post some of your favorite bands other than Weezer, and we'll see about YOUR judgment.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:48 PM   #11
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: Re: BIZ MARKIE Men without Hats

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

I think I have that on vinyl back home.
Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore in a distant thread long, long ago
I pray to God that in 20 years, I do not sound like you.
19 years early? :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 12:43 PM   #12
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
19 years early? :-)
Not at all. Merely a statement that I own Taco's After Eight on vinyl. In fact, I have a ton of stuff on 8-track too back in St. Louis, including Michael Jackson's Thriller, Frampton Comes Alive, Saturday Night Fever, and Prince's 1999.

But, if I DID want to sound like you, I might have said this:

"Back in the olden days of 1982 and 1983, the CD was practically brand new...8-tracks were dying off, vinyl was starting to die off too, and cassettes were growing in popularity. Now I have to search hither and thither in the shops of South Street if I want a nice vinyl copy of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. CDs are just dross to me...and I will counsel myself as to what is 'dross' and 'not dross'."

The difference between my post from Tuesday, and your post from March 18, 2002 is like apples and oranges.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:27 PM   #13
hotdude729
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Sycamore

OK, Sycie, you want to know what bands i like? WEll first you say "besides weezer." Does that mean you like weezer? And bands that I do like are Metallica (from the 80's and their music didnt suck then either), AC/DC (same), The Cult (once again), Led Zeppelin (even older), System of a Down, Black sabbath (80's), Dolybraid (bet ya never heard of them), and a lot more. Just because it was in the 80's doesnt mean i dont like it. Half of the music I like is form the 80's or older. But Taco sucks and when i said german i meant that he lives in germany and performs there now.

www.geocities.com/hotdude729

Old 05-30-2002, 09:46 PM   #14
elSicomoro

Re: Sycamore

Quote:
OK, Sycie
I prefer Sycamore, Syc, Syco, T-money, T, Mr. Asshole, or Styrofoam Jesus.

Quote:
you want to know what bands i like? WEll first you say "besides weezer."
Yes, as you have them listed on your site along with Dashboard Confessional. Therefore, those are the only 2 bands that I can reasonably assume that you like.

Quote:
Does that mean you like weezer?
They're alright. I don't personally own any of their CDs, but they're not bad.

Quote:
Just because it was in the 80's doesnt mean i dont like it. Half of the music I like is form the 80's or older.
All the bands you mentioned are great, although no, I don't know anything about Dollybraid (though their site says they've broken up for now).

And just like in the Dallas thread, it wasn't mocking so much as goading you into offering something of substance. You question my judgement on Taco? Okay then. What are you bringing to the table? What are you listening to?

And since we're talking substance, it's only fair that I list what I listen to.

It's not that hard.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:48 PM   #15
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

AC/DC - terrible. absolutely terrible. every song sounds the same; their lyrics are complete shit; and their guitarist, or whoever the hell he is, runs around on stage like a moron.

but that's just my opinion.

as for taco, i believe he was raised in germany. or he currently lives there, and has for quite some time. i think it's sort of like the "the man who raises you, regardless of his biological connection (or lack thereof) to you, is your father." idea. if you were raised in germany, or lived there for many years, it's safe to call you a german. paul was born in hamburg, but for the most part raised in america, and while he isn't an american citizen, it's pretty safe to call him an american.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote