The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #106
freshnesschronic
Professor

Yes, I think she's telling the truth. Because I know her and her communication tactics. No more need for anyone to to use personal insults on me.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #107
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
~snippage

NOTHING more frustrating? NOTHING? Wow, to be young again.
Depends on the situation -- for instance, if it's snowing outside and you need to call your boss to ask if the office will be open and you can't get a hold of him on his phone. Or if you're mad at your S/O and want to yell at them but can't get through.

Having been in a long-distance relationship for a long time with the man I now live with and am planning to marry, I know that it produces a lot of anxiety when the person you love is far away and you can't get in touch with him. When we were long-distance, we knew each others' friends and families but not in the way that we would have in a conventional relationship -- if he'd been in an accident or something, it's unlikely that I would have found out right away. So you do worry, especially when someone said they would call, and then doesn't.

That said, even people who are very much in love need a break from constant connectivity sometimes. I sometimes don't answer my phone or leave it at home because I want to really enjoy what I'm doing, say if I'm going to a museum or hanging out with a good friend. It's harder to experience life directly if you know you're going to be interrupted by pointless phone calls asking what you are doing (that's a pet peeve about my bf: he ALWAYS says "whatcha doin'?" when he calls anyone on the phone. What if they're doing something private?).

I just graduated from college myself, and am very aware of the college culture where you're expected to answer your phone all the time. Everything happens at the last minute, so you are likely to get a call saying something like "Hey I got an extra ticket to the Kanye West show tonight and it starts in half an hour! Come with me!" and if you don't answer the phone, you miss the opportunity. On the other hand, during my first week of college I remember walking home from a show that I'd gone to by myself thinking about how amazing it was that for the first time like ever, no one knew where I was and no one had the right to know. I could have been anywhere. And I think that freedom is an important part of the college experience, too.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #108
freshnesschronic
Professor

Hime thanks for saying what I had trouble finding the words to.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #109
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Yes, I think she's telling the truth. Because I know her and her communication tactics. No more need for anyone to to use personal insults on me.
Ok, we'll resume reading your mind.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #110
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
the coworker who cracks every bone in their body during meetings
Aw, MAN, are you saying I've been horribly rude this whole time? I can't help it, I pop my knuckles compulsively, it's not an attention thing. They hurt if I let them go too long unpopped!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #111
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Aw, MAN, are you saying I've been horribly rude this whole time? I can't help it, I pop my knuckles compulsively, it's not an attention thing. They hurt if I let them go too long unpopped!
I think everybody is doing something that is somebody's pet peeve. If you answer your phone, you piss off somebody who hates phones, if you don't, you piss off the person who's calling you who can't stand when people don't answer their phones. I don't think it's something to worry about too much.

My fiance is the same with the popping joints. The thing that really freaked me out at first was when he would crack his neck, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Sometimes I need to pop my hip joints, too.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #112
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
It has to be safer than some soccer mom with 3 kids and one hand on the wheel of a 4500 pound SUV not looking before she trys to turn with that one hand.
One hand??? You only need a finger to turn those babies....power steering

Turning aint nearly as difficult as steering, half turning around in the seat and searching with one hand to find elmo that was dropped by a now screaming two year old.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #113
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Rude?
What I am doing while I am in line at the store is none of your damn business. S-not rude, you being in my business is rude, mind your own.
I worked as a cashier and bagger for years while in school, I could care less what people do, phone, dealing with their kids, crossword puzzle, sing, dance, talking to me, etc, who cares really?
I do my job, get you done and move on, that is all that matters, end of story.
If they are slow, it may be the phone or just that they are slow, chances are it is the latter.
I don't like it in movies or theatre, places where I paid to listen to something, other than that, talk on your phone.
I don't care what the people around me are doing, I'm not nosy.
Yet you are quick to get pissie when people do things like stop quickly in front of you when you are in your chair?

Its common courtesy not to stop abruptly, so is not talking on your phone whilst you are in a restaurant, at the checkout of any store or dealing with who is serving you.

FWIW, I am with you on the not stopping issue, I get pram rage occasionally....and I DONT care who talks on their phone...but I wont talk on the phone whilst in any of those situations out of common courtesy to others.

Oh and its kinda hard NOT to be in your business if you are discussing things on your phone in public
Old 03-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #114
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Hmm reading those 2 posts, it appears I maybe a bit PMT-ish
Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #115
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
Yet you are quick to get pissie when people do things like stop quickly in front of you when you are in your chair?

Its common courtesy not to stop abruptly, so is not talking on your phone whilst you are in a restaurant, at the checkout of any store or dealing with who is serving you.

FWIW, I am with you on the not stopping issue, I get pram rage occasionally....and I DONT care who talks on their phone...but I wont talk on the phone whilst in any of those situations out of common courtesy to others.

Oh and its kinda hard NOT to be in your business if you are discussing things on your phone in public
I stop talking when discussing things with the check-out person or server. I never stated anything about dealing with anyone, I only mentioned being in-line.
What does talking on the phone have to do with anyone around me in a restaurant?
Then I don't want you talking to those with you, same thing.
I will speak to whom I please when I please.
I am not "pissy" at all, if I were I would just run my, several hundred pound, chair with me, another couple hundred pounds, in it into their ankles and act like I was not looking, "oops"
I don't see how what I am doing while on my own in public is "common" anything, as long as I am not overly loud, which I am not, phone-yellers confuse me. If you can speak to the person next to you I am going to speak on my phone and it is no one's business.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #116
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I don't have anything to contribute that hasn't already been said (at least) twice.

I just think it's fascinating what seemingly innocent posts will blow up and produce, say, eight pages of replies in less than two days.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #117
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
One hand??? You only need a finger to turn those babies....power steering

Turning aint nearly as difficult as steering, half turning around in the seat and searching with one hand to find elmo that was dropped by a now screaming two year old.
exactly.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:10 AM   #118
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

gee...all because someone wont answer their phone.

What is the world comming to I ask you???!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #119
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Talking on the phone forces everyone around you to listen to half a conversation. There is no way they can not hear it without sticking their fingers in their ears and humming. It's extremely rude and if you ask Miss manners or any of the other references, they'll tell you that.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #120
Maui Nick
... is not really in Maui. Weird, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
HEY MOTHERFUCKERS!
ANSWER YOU'RE GODDAMN CELL PHONES!
I reaaaaaaaaaaaaallly dislike when people don't answer their cell phones and I dislike it even more when they give me a lame ass excuse like "uhhhh i didn't feel it....all day...." or "i didn't check it....all day"

WHAT THE FUCK DO U HAVE IT FOR???
stupid ass lame shit like that frustrates me
sorry, angry soapbox

God gave us cell phone's for a reason

C O M M U N I C A T I O N
I pay for it. I decide when I use it. Very simple.

It's not a bloody electronic leash --- it's a tool, like a screwdriver. I own it; it doesn't own me.