The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm with Bruce. You heard it here first: neither one of them will get the nomination.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #17
freshnesschronic
Professor

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't even know the another Democratic candidate other than those two. But maybe I'm not well informed on politics...

Last edited by freshnesschronic; 02-14-2007 at 10:40 PM.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #18
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

You have a year and a half, you will find out about the rest.

If anyone has a list, that would be appriciated.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:27 AM   #19
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Besides Barak Obama and Hillary Clinton, Democrats who are officially running are:

Joseph Biden
Christopher Dodd
John Edwards
Mike Gravel
Dennis Kucinich
Thomas Vilsack

Bill Richardson is 'exploratory.'
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #20
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

the thing that amazes me is that there are soooo many candidates that are throwing their collective 'hats in the ring' this far out from the actual election.. either speaks of a growing displeasure from the 'masses', an emboldened democratic party (or dis-satisfaction among the moderates/republican base), or people who really want their personal lives destroyed by more than a year of mud-slinging.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #21
Griff
still says videotape

You're right Bruce. If you could position yourself around #4 letting Clinton, Obama, and Edwards bloody each other while you play the statesman, you could keep it interesting on the cheap.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #22
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

yeah, that's kinda been bothering me.. I mean the election is oh.. more than a year and 1/2 away isn't it? and boiling it down to just those two seems awfully limiting. and aside from that I really don't think that america in general is ready for either a female or african descendent to hold the presidency... VP? sure. I just don't see it happening yet.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #23
libragirl213
Person Who Has Posted

The midwest sucks...and this is why.

Just in mentioning this to my mother the other day, about Obama possibly running for President in '08,

my mother says,"He's in with those people who bombed the towers."

"Mom, you mean he's muslim?"

"YES!"

Now I never vote, because I am a pessimist, and I believe all people in government lie...but my mother and her ilk, they vote like it's their religion....

Good Luck
libragirl213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome down to the Cellar, libragirl213.
What you're describing is how this country got where we are today. The informed can't be bothered to vote and the extremists can't be stopped from voting.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #25
Pie
Gone and done

Not that I care, but Obama is a christian.

Quote:
Obama said he was a Christian, that he has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, that he reads the Bible regularly and prays constantly. He described his conversion experience in his mid-20s, how he walked the aisle at Trinity United Church of Christ one Sunday in a public affirmation of his private change of heart.
As seen here.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The other thing that bothers me is they feel campaigning is more important than the business at hand in Washington.
And if the do find time to do a little of the goddamn work, we elected and are paying them to do, nothing they do or say stands on merit. Any statement they make is vilified or praised, depending on political strategy.
It's like trying to be a butcher and promote PETA at the same time.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhead View Post
I really don't think that america in general is ready for either a female or african descendent to hold the presidency...
You mean white America right? Because I'm sure black America is more than ready for a president with African descent.

I don't see how religion is important. I still find it sad that a Muslim or Atheist could never be president for the next twenty or so years.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #28
Pie
Gone and done

Try century.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #29
freshnesschronic
Professor

Wow I'm not good at quoting previous stuff, so I'll just comment in general.

Yeah, my school is posting all these discussion on politics in the dorms and stuff with posters like "Obama is he black? Is he white?" My (white conservative pro-Bush Republican) friend the other day made a great point; he said at lunch "it doesn't matter the color of his skin, you vote for the ideology not for the outter shell."

Great stuff, since I'm pretty much the opposite of him but I still respect his ideas and beliefs as much as my own.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
"it doesn't matter the color of his skin, you vote for the ideology not for the outter shell."
An idealist meets reality. It sounds good, and highly desirable, but hardly realistic.

There's also a catch22 aspect in that it matters to me because it matters to others.
I have to take into consideration can he do the job or will he, if elected, be inefectual because other people care about color. Should I vote for someone else, that I think would be efectual, but I don't think is as good? Or should I vote for him, fearing he can't do it, just to make a statement? But if I do that I'm voting for color, which is just as bad as voting against it.

So it will always be complicated by other peoples positions. I can't see that it makes a hill of beans if a woman or black man/woman ever gets to be president, as long as the ones that are president do a good job, but I understand I'm in the minority(no pun) there. I couldn't understand the superbowl deal either, I thought the superbowl was about football.

I guess I'm not sensitive enough and need more diversity training.
I'm performance oriented and get annoyed with the bullshit that distracts them from the job at hand.