The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Honesty

I had a moral exercise on Friday at our local Giant. At the supermarket, I was in the self-checkout lane and requested $20 cash back. The dispenser looked empty. When the dispenser deposited my cash I did a count since instead of a single $20 bill it dispensed $5 bills. The total came to $27 dollars.

I turned the $7 over the the cashier supervising the self-checkout. She took note of the time. I asked her what would happen to the money. She said that the money would be held if a customer came back for it, otherwise the store would get the money.

Now I liked the idea of them giving back the money to the customer. I must admit that if the money was unclaimed and did not belong to the store, I would have liked to get it.

The only thing I knew for sure is that I was not entitled to the money, so I returned it.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

You did your part. Good for you. What the company does is well ... up to them. Not really sure what other options they have. They know it isn't yours and they may or may not be able to figure out whose it really is.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Pie
Gone and done

Perhaps the machine had a glitch, and the money was legitimately the store's.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Good call, Rich; if you are going to sell your integrity, honesty and self respect, make sure you get a lot more than $7 for it.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Had a client tell me a story the other day about his wife - she went to the bank, made a withdrawal, he teller gave her $200 too much. As soon as she realized the mistake, she approached the teller, who claimed loudly "I did not make a mistake." The sweet little old lady is trying to give the teller the money, and she gets all pissy and tells the lady, "Well you'll have to get back in line." So this sweet little old lady gets back in line, waits her turn, gets back to the same teller, who again tells her "I did not make a mistake." A manager comes over to see what the problem is, little old lady explains she's trying to give back the extra 200 bucks. The manager insists that her tellers don't make mistakes, so the poor flustered lady goes home with the extra cash, and tells her hubby about it.

I don't know about you, but the first time the teller tried to save face by yelling at me, I would have said FINE and skedaddled, leaving her to realize her drawer was short at the end of the day.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Meh... I bet admitting any kind of counting mistake in front of a line of customers is a firing offense anyway. They figure it's better to lose the $200 than have a loss of trust in the tellers.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I once went to an ATM to withdraw $60.00. I typed it in correctly and the receipt was correct but the money dispensed was 2 $20.00 bills and 1 $100.00 bill. When I tried to call the bank to ask where I should bring the money, they just kep transferring my call around and I got disconnected twice. I just kept the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
I had a moral exercise on Friday...
I exercise my morals all the time. That's why they're so flexible.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Beest
Adapt and Survive

A friend told me a similar story about getting too much from an ATM, few days later when the bank found it's numbers didn't add up they tracked the transactions, and just debited the extra money from his account. Same thing could happen to the little old lady.

I once deposited a large amount of small change and was surprised they took my word for how much was there and didn't count it, they just put it seperateley and counted it later and debited my account by the difference.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

This method of checking and "correcting" deposits drive me fucking nuts.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Good call, Rich; if you are going to sell your integrity, honesty and self respect, make sure you get a lot more than $7 for it.

.....depending how close in the month to PayDay you are...:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
sean
you ask me

if you'd turned the money over to the police and not the store, they wld have returned it to you if they failed to find the owner.

the store had no right to it, and you could have challenged them on that.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Morality question:
You are a partner in a law firm and your client insists on paying cash for a service your firm rendered. He hands you cash for a $500 invoice and as you count it out you realize that one of the hundreds is actually two hundreds that are stuck together.

Q: Do you tell your partner?
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Cloud

of course, and you either return the money promptly, or advise the client and negotiate a credit to his account

I realized yesterday that I sorta stiffed the rental car agency their $90 fee when I dropped the car off. The dealership had made the arrangements, and I told them to add it to my bill there. But they didn't. I was in a hurry to get my car (and in a horrible bad temper) and I just wanted out of there, so I left without mentioning it.

Although I was tempted just to see if anybody would notice, I decided I might need these folks' help again someday. I called them today and told them I was sending them the dough, anyway. Really don't need any negative energy coming back to me!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
sean
you ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Morality question:
You are a partner in a law firm and your client insists on paying cash for a service your firm rendered. He hands you cash for a $500 invoice and as you count it out you realize that one of the hundreds is actually two hundreds that are stuck together.

Q: Do you tell your partner?
I'd keep the extra and give it to the poor, as your cash distributing client is obviously operating under the radar of the IRS...
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #15
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

ASS-umption there sean.