The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #151
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ali, there is many a true word spoken in ... irony.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #152
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Oh UG...you must have misunderstood. I was taking the piss out of you and your comrades.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:46 AM   #153
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
My payment for a war in Iraq is...
Sure, but hardly worth mentioning some piddling little 4 Billion a month.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #154
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Ali, there is many a true word spoken in ... irony.
Like in goldy or bronzy, but then made of iron?

Last edited by Hippikos; 11-02-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Hippikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:31 AM   #155
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

How come the people who are the staunchest defenders of guns are the ones I fear having guns the most?
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #156
Urbane Guerrilla

Jeb, I ain't shot you yet. And we live in the same state. Have for years. Hell, I was born in the Monterey area. WTF you scared of, ignorance boy? Seems there's too much you don't know. Do you truly know how to rightly handle a gun?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #157
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah
How come the people who are the staunchest defenders of guns are the ones I fear having guns the most?
Because hoplophobia literally means "fear of guns".

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #158
rkzenrage

Seriously.... I'm not a bad guy. When I was head of security people came to our club, we tripled in attendance, because I made sure no one was castled even when we had to carry them out. When people pushed me I always told them "yes...you can beat me up, I am sure of it. Let me buy you a beer and let's break this up instead of all these other bouncers carrying you out, ok?"
I don't like conflict or guns... as I stated earlier, I have not messed with mine in years. I think of them as a necessary evil... but necessary none the less.
I worry that my posts on this subject have been very prejudicial as far as how the Cellar views me.
It is truly the only thing that I am very conservative about. Though my definition of liberal and conservative are much older than today's. I do not think of a neo-con as a conservative. A conservative wants less government, taxes and believes in state's rights. I am very conservative in that sense... but very liberal when it comes to today's definition in a lot of ways. I believe pot should be legal, we should have state health care as well as private, Social Security and welfare should not be attached in any way (if you did not pay into it you don't get any).... bla, bla, bla... hell, some things sound very conservative like my fiscal side and others make me very liberal. I think the National Forests should NEVER be touched other than prescribed burns... pristine woodland, period. If you pollute, you pay for ALL of it to be cleaned-up, period.
But, at the same time, as long as you are not harming your neighbor or the environment... your home is your castle and ALL the Bill of Rights must be protected at all costs.
Illegal search and seizure, warrantless searches and that type of thing are grounds for revolution IMO, real action to let those in power know that it will NEVER be tolerated.
Freedom of speech and the press is/should be actual and pure.
Religion and the State should NEVER have ANYTHING to do with each other under ANY circumstances.
So when people ask me if I am "liberal" or "conservative"... I just don't know.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 11-03-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #159
Urbane Guerrilla

Mhm. Hmmm. Thoughtful, anyway. I've long figured you for having your head screwed on nose to the front.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #160
theirontower
Fellow-Commoner

Werent there some studies done in the 70s or 80s by KGB or some other Russian organization stating that while they felt they could handle the US military if they wanted to attack America, the population was to well armed to hold the territory they could take?

I don't know if having a gun or not having a gun makes a difference when it comes to crime, Ive never been a criminal or the victim of a violent or gun based crime myself. But from a criminals perspective wouldn't the throught process between "Should I" and "I will" be a bit longer and more involved if the threat of return violence is immediate?

IE if as a criminal I was looking for a place to setup shop for say, burglery, would I consider a place like Texas where its more likely Ill run into an armed citizen willing to fight, or would I rather go somewhere its not as likely? Just the fact that they would have to walk that line of thought through would hopefully persaude a few of them its not worth it.

One thing I noticed in the thread, just as an FYI, as a national champion debater, when your opponent sinks to verbal attacks and name calling, you've won. Most people with any brain will stop paying attention to someone who stoops to that, so beware your own arrogance. Be open the to the thought process's and idea's of others.

" The arousing of prejudice, pity, anger, and similar emotions has nothing to do with the essential facts, but is merely a personal appeal to the man who is judging the case. Consequently if the rules for trials which are now laid down some states-especially in well-governed states-were applied everywhere, such people would have nothing to say. All men, no doubt, think that the laws should prescribe such rules, but some, as in the court of Areopagus, give practical effect to their thoughts and forbid talk about non-essentials. This is sound law and custom. It is not right to pervert the judge by moving him to anger or envy or pity-one might as well warp a carpenter's rule before using it." Aristotle's Rhetoric

How about some reference to Logical Fallacies, which abound in this thread.

Steve
theirontower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #161
theirontower
Fellow-Commoner

"Most of our energy goes into upholding our importance...

If we were capable of losing some of that importance, two extraordinary things would happen to us. One, we would free our energy from trying to maintain the illusory idea of our grandeur; and two, we would provide ourselves with enough energy to...catch a glimpse of the actual grandeur of the universe." Carlos Castaneda

--to me this is the answer to the koan about a tree falling in the woods with no one around. The sheer arrogance of the question points to the answer--

"Self-righteous morality is jealousy with a halo" HG Wells

"Self righteousness is a mask for hypocrisy and self importance." Carlos Castaneda
theirontower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #162
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

[Threadjack]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
snip~ I think the National Forests should NEVER be touched other than prescribed burns... pristine woodland, period.
You're confusing National Forests with National Parks. One of the basic tenets of National Forests is to provide controlled timber harvesting for a steady reliable lumber supply.[Threadjack]
Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #163
rkzenrage

You are right, Parks. Though some of the old growth and breeding areas for endangered species in the National Forests should be off limits.
We are equally, but never more, important than the environment.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #164
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Woah woah woah. Who said I was afraid of guns? I'm afraid of touchy idiots having guns and very troubled (not for my own safety however) about some here who see guns as a balm to any affliction.

Would you believe I'm actually a firm believer in the 2nd amendment? There is a vast gap between gun nuts and responsible gun owners. The difference between these types shines through, even online.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #165
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But, but, there's no problem that can't be solved with the judicious application of high explosives.