The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-27-2001, 02:48 PM   #1
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

And for those not up for the intellectual challenges of Memento...

...go see Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. It's a mindless romp, but a damn funny one.

Then again, who am I kidding? If you've ever liked a Kevin Smith movie, you probably went to see Jay & Silent Bob this weekend, and if you don't care for Kevin Smith, this'll be a hard sell...

jeff. Knowing his films makes it much easier to play spot-the-cameo.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:08 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Kevin Smith is a genius...period. Unfortunately, I have not seen the new one, nor "Dogma." However, "Mallrats" is probably one of the greatest and most underrated comedies of all time. The lines thrown out in that movie were fantastic. And now, a whole movie about Jay and Silent Bob...that is beautiful.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 12:22 AM   #3
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

We seem to be like-minded, Syc (and if Chewbaccus still reads here, it surprises me that he hasn't thrown three or four posts onto this thread). I've always been a Smith fan. Ever since I saw Clerks. I love his writing, his directing, and his one-liners (even though many of them have about 2 hours setup...hehehe). There's a common threads threw all of his films that I've really attached myself to...something I call the jagoff intellectual. It's always there...Randall in Clerks, Brodie in mallrats, Metatron in Dogma...there's always one character who can wax intellectual about any subject. He's usually a cynic, often-times a stoner or slacker type, and always able to take something to it's logical, but completley impossible conclusion (Take, for example, Randall's soliloquy(sp?) in Clerks. He rails against the Rebels in <i>Return of the Jedi</i> for destroying the second death star mid-construction, as they must have killed many an independent contractor, whom are completley innocent. Later, a roofer overhears them and says that a contractor trusts his heart before his wallet, citing a friend who was killed while working on a mobster's roof). The stop is pure genius, capturing the average schmutz doing his everyday shit (save fucking shannon doherty in an elevator, but I do wish that was everyday).

I've bored you enough with my rambling, I will go away now.

goodbye.

Steve
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 02:37 AM   #4
jaguar
whig

mallrats!!! I loved that film, right up there with empire records.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:54 PM   #5
Vegeta
As far beyond mutants as they beyond you

Thumbs up

I agree with alphageek31337. Would Seinfeldian meaningless discussions classify as jagoff intellectual?

I've seen Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back twice now. I loved it. Stay ALL the way through the credits; there's one more treat at the end. The more Kevin Smith movies you've seen (the New Jersey series, anyway), the more jokes, etc. you'll get in the movie. If you've seen "Dogma," for example, watch for TWO subtle Buddy Jesus references.

Bonus: Did you see Kevin Smith's cameo in the new movie? (Just kidding.)
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 07:20 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Rho and I went to see J&SBSB on Monday...oh God! I nearly fell out of my chair! It was cool to see all the old characters from the previous movies in it. And Chris Rock was too much...great flick!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 03:19 PM   #7
mbpark
Lecturer

See This Movie

Yes, this movie is WELL worth the money.

It's one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and that includes all the other Kevin Smith movies.

I have never laughed so hard at so many "wrong" jokes in a movie, especially the cameo scenes by many famous actors. The Jason Biggs scene was just completely funny.

See movie. Laugh Hard.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 12:31 PM   #8
leif
Confounded Conjuror

I'm a big Kevin Smith fan, and loved the new movie...

but whats with this implication that Bluntman&Chronic fan's couldn't appreciate memento? Memento was a really really cool movie, and I highly recomend it to all who have not seen it.

And after seeing it, check out the website (it'll help clear up a couple unanswered questions).
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 07:44 PM   #9
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Yeah, I love all those little references Kevin Smith makes to his other films. Clerks even makes a reference to Alyssa from Chasing Amy.

Unfortunately, though, I HAVEN'T SEEN JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK BECAUSE IT HASN'T GOD DAMN COME OUT IN AUSTRALIA YET!!!
What, are bringing the film over on row boat or something?? They haven't even started advertising it here. Why the fuck not??!?!?!?!?!? I want to GOD DAMN see that movie!!!

Hurry the fuck up, you lazy bastards who are supposed to be distributing the film, and damn well distribute it!!

Aahh, I feel better now.
Parabolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:19 PM   #10
dave

Dear Mr. Parabolate -

First of all, I'm sorry if you're a Ms. or Mrs. Mr. Parabolate sounds better though, and that's why I opted to use that generic term.

Secondly, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is about the funniest movie I have ever seen. I laughed more at it (the two times I have seen it in big American movie theaters with reclining seats) than I did at any of Smith's previous masterpieces. I just wanted to let you know that it's probably the funniest movie you will ever see. Ever.

Thirdly, I just wanted to take this time to gloat about how I've seen it twice and you haven't. And to remind you that I laughed a whole whole lot.

And lastly, I wanted to add that Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is ridiculously fucking good.

Thank you.

--Dave

(d ham s a i c == proper pronunciation, by the way... dave ham, work at saic... i can imagine someone going "dhamsake?" or "deehumsake?" hehe)
Old 09-27-2001, 12:41 AM   #11
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

That's right, I am a Mr.

And thank you for reassuring me that JS&BSB is a good movie, so that when all the dickheaded cynical reviewers down here can the shit out of it, I'll know not to listen to them and go see it.

Of course, when it's 3 months old and no longer showing at the movies for you, I'll still be able to go and see it. :P

Oh, I just found out we do actually get to see it. It comes out here on NOVEMBER GODDAMN 15 which is almost 3 months after anywhere else. Oh well, at least we got Star Wars before you did.

Last edited by Parabolate; 09-27-2001 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:36 AM   #12
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Parabolate
And thank you for reassuring me that JS&BSB is a good...
Jerry Springer & Back Street Boys?
Old 09-27-2001, 07:24 PM   #13
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

Jerry Springer & Back Street Boys?
No, it's "Jesus, (I'm) Silly, & (a) Big Stupid Bozo."

Looks like I put the ampersand in the wrong spot. For those not up to the intellectual challenge of rearranging the acronym, I meant J&SBSB.

Last edited by Parabolate; 09-27-2001 at 07:26 PM.