The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-05-2001, 11:10 AM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Idiot Box

There was a time when I never watched TV, but since my last year of college, I've become a TV whore. While some of what's out there is just crap, there is some good stuff that is worth while. I like a little of both.

The West Wing: In an ideal world, I'd vote for Josiah Bartlett. I'm glad that they haven't swayed too much from the first season, given that there was a change of power here. I don't know if anyone watched the episode this past week. At first I was a bit disappointed, but I think it was very good, considering it was written in a matter of days by Aaron Sorkin. I can't wait until the season premiere Wednesday.

The Practice: I'll admit that I'm pretty much an NBC whore, and that this is one of only two shows on ABC that I watch. Some folks might consider it "scum of the earth attorneys with hearts" schlock, but the storylines and actors are great.

Philly: I had to watch the first episode, given the location of the show. Not bad from what I've seen so far...

Law & Order/SVU/CI: I think my favorite of the 3 is SVU b/c Richard Belzer and Ice-T are cool as hell. But I've been watching the original "Law and Order" since it came on 9000 years ago. Even with all the cast changes over the years, it just keeps getting better. "Criminal Intent" looks to have promise. The first one was good...

Given that I was out of work a total of 2 months in the past year, I watched a lot of TV while at home, and seem to have a soft spot for some of the court shows...primarily b/c I like yelling back at the TV. Amazingly, the one I don't watch is "Judge Judy," although I catch it on occasion. There's a new one on now called "Texas Justice." The title was off-putting at first, but it's grown on me.

There's another one out there that caught my eye while I was channel-surfing one night called "Moral Court." (For Philadelphians, it's on Channel 48, I believe in the early evening.) Basically, the plantiff leavies a "moral charge" against a defendant, e.g. The plantiff is upset because the defendant slept with the plantiff's boyfriend or something like that. A judge determines whether the action was bad, really bad, or just absolutely bad. Depending on what the judge rules, the plantiff wins a certain amount of money. (It's obviously not a standard court show.) They have a reporter who talks to the audience, and the audience members may say something like, "I can't believe you would do that to your cousin! That's disrespectful!" It's more for the humor than anything else.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 10-05-2001 at 11:25 AM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 12:06 PM   #2
Galadriel
Alphabetarian

I have to admit I watch more than I should. I am from a big family (six kids) and it has been a big adjustment getting used to being home alone a lot of the time. So the TV is on most of the day if for no other reason so that there will be some noise.

West Wing Of course, hell, I love it so much I would vote for Martin Sheen.

Friends It has REALLY gone down hill the last couple of years, but it is now mostly just a family tradition. Like having crawfish at Easter or hot tamales at Thanksgiving or a violent confrontation at Christmas.

TLC/Discovery Channel Most of the day, everyday. Trading Spaces kicks ass, it has something for everyone, Decorating ideas on a budget for me, carpenter/all-around handy person Amy Winn Pastor for my husband.

Roswell Oh God, NO!!! My secret is out. I know, I know, but it is like heroin, you say you wouldn't get hooked, but you don't control IT, it controls YOU.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 01:01 PM   #3
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadriel
Quote:
Like having crawfish at Easter or hot tamales at Thanksgiving or a violent confrontation at Christmas.
*rofl* That was great!

TLC/Discovery Channel
Educational channels whip ass!

I started watching TLC a lot when I was unemployed in November. I like the medical shows.

I'm also a big fan of Court TV, particularly "Homicide" and "The System."

I've always been a fan of PBS, but since Rho and I moved to Philadelphia, we've become more engrossed in it. We have 4 PBS channels on our cable system here in the city, but the one that takes the cake is WYBE, Channel 35. They don't show the traditional PBS shows, but it is probably the most diverse television station I have ever seen. They show a lot of international stuff--BBC News, Greek shows, Korean shows, Indian music, local stuff. Very very cool.

Some of the colleges here also have public access channels on our cable system, one of which is Drexel University's DUTV. They show some really out there stuff.

(Side note for the moment: For the first time in a week, I can see the bottom of my sink. Rho and I were rather lazy this week and hadn't run the dishwasher in 3 days.)
Old 10-05-2001, 01:56 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Agreed all arond on <b>West Wing</b>. The terrorism episode seemed a little preachy, as does the show at times. But when you step back and look at it, here is, as you called it, the idiot box, using a prime-time TV drama to EDUCATE THE PEOPLE. Wow. There were bits in that script directly lifted from the Afghan-American letter I posted here BTW.

Two things about WW that bothers me more and more. One is the wham-bam dialogue. You could make a case for it developing within an organization, but even outsiders use it. It's just too unnatural.

The other thing is how characters seem to be too at-the-ready with facts and figures. You'll see Rob Lowe's character sudddenly bleat out "There were 17,000 cases of injury from ladder usage last year. 73% of those were from ascneding, 20% from descending, and 7% from carrying." OK, got it.

I'm going to dedicate time to <b>Enterprise</b>. I think it is extremely promising. The other ST series got to the point where they were not vulnerable enough, and so weirder and weirder aliens pursued them. Now, with only a pea shooter and transports that clunk into the ship while trying to dock, you feel like there is real danger and real anticipation, which oughta make for more drama and less rehashing of old plots.

Agreed on <b>Friends</b>; it's two seasons past its time, the writing is downhill, but I always feel like rooting for the show because it's made me laugh unpredictably so many times. It should return to being a show pretty much about nothing, where a friendly football game constitutes an entire episode. We'll look back and say it captured an era: the time when the economy was good, the mood was high, and Gen-Xers could be happy and carefree with life. It'd be nice if that era could go a while longer...

I'm looking forward to <b>The Tick</b>. Old cellarite <i>mason</i> introduced me to the comic, which was great. The animated series picked up some of its wacky humor and of course the bizarre villians. Patrick Warburton is so perfectly cast here. Could be a real funny show.

<b>The Simpsons</b> is, unfortunately, DONE. It stood the test of time longer than it should have, and it's possibly my favorite comedy series of all time; but finally, it's missing something and I'm not sure what. I think I'll pass this year.

I keep waiting for <b>The Daily Show</b> to re-find itself since 9/11. I have faith. Jon Stewart is excellent.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 02:20 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

I have been known to stay up late, searching for episodes of Sports Night Ive missed in an attempt to assemble a chronological narrative.

I have also delighted in Bugs: The Secret world of gardens. Gentle voice overs, spooky music and amazing footage of frogs feasting.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 02:23 PM   #6
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
The other thing is how characters seem to be too at-the-ready with facts and figures. You'll see Rob Lowe's character sudddenly bleat out "There were 17,000 cases of injury from ladder usage last year. 73% of those were from ascneding, 20% from descending, and 7% from carrying." OK, got it.
Hmmm...I dunno. They use Dee Dee Myers as a consultant on the show. And I'm sure that at least some people in the White House can recite quick statistics. Not to mention, they probably pay people to look up that info in the real White House. But then again, it IS television. Perhaps Sorkin was a bit too hopped up in writing some of the episodes?

I've not seen "Enterprise," but I've heard nothing but praise for it. I'm still partial to DS9 though.

"Friends": Admittedly, I didn't start watching the show regularly until 1996. I don't mind some drama mixed in with my comedy, but it is definitely losing that comedic edge.

Quote:
I keep waiting for <b>The Daily Show</b> to re-find itself since 9/11. I have faith. Jon Stewart is excellent.
Conan had a hard time getting back to normal too. That first week or so after he came back on...those shows were not very funny. I watched last night though, and it was much better.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:24 AM   #7
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Shows I watch mainly are X-Files, Star Trek, Stargate, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Mr. Hell Show, Simpsons. I keep missing episodes, though, because they always put things on at times when I'm out or I forget to watch them or something like that.
A lot of people say the X-Files have gone crap lately, but I would have to disagree. Now and then you get the odd boring episode, but generally it's quite good. Robert Patrick's really good.

Hey, did anyone ever see Dark Skies? I was right into it, but then I stopped watching it for a while 'cause I was too busy. I remember the main guy (John Loengard I think his name was) was with his wife (Kim?) one episode, and next time I watched it, she had disappeared, and he was with another woman who I seem to remember tried to kill him last time I saw her. What was going on there? It was a long time ago ('97 I think it was on) but I'm still curious.
Parabolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 09:07 PM   #8
TheDollyLlama
Do-er of Deeds

Best 3 hours on tv

The best 3 hours on tv, at least out here in CA is wednesday night: Enterprise (give it time), The West Wing, and Law and Order.

Somehow i never seem to get anything done those nights...
TheDollyLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 09:42 PM   #9
elSicomoro

As much as I would love to watch "Enterprise," I like "Ed" too much. I just wish the hell he and Carol would get it on already...

For about 2 or so years, I forewent the first half hour of "Law & Order" to watch "South Park." But sometime in early 2000, I started watching "L&O" on a full-time basis again. I've always been a fan of the show, but it's even better now. They need to get the new assistant DA more involved though. I like the new "L&O" show as well...I like the way it focuses on the criminal side. My personal fave of the three though is "SVU." Ice-T is cool as hell. And I'm glad they brought in Richard Belzer's character from "Homicide."
Old 10-27-2001, 10:00 PM   #10
TheDollyLlama
Do-er of Deeds

Ice-T, the cop

I find it incredibly ironic that Ice-T, singer of "Cop Killer" would play a cop on tv.
TheDollyLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 11:26 PM   #11
elSicomoro

Re: Ice-T, the cop

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDollyLlama
I find it incredibly ironic that Ice-T, singer of "Cop Killer" would play a cop on tv.
He won critical praise for his role as a cop in "New Jack City." I have always had a lot of respect for Ice-T, particularly for the "Cop Killer" situation. He has proven to be a credible actor, on the big screen and on TV. Plus, his name on "SVU" is cool: Odafin Tuttuola. He's past his prime as a rapper, but I think he's got a good acting career ahead of him. And I lose it every time he's on Conan (which is rather frequently).