Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-23-2004, 07:45 PM   #31
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
Nothing new or unexpected here. George Jr knows we are wasting time with silly science when we should be sending men to Mars. After all he knows. He has an MBA degree.
You know, I'm really beginning to think we should have some continuing education or retesting requirement on those things. If 80-year-old drivers in Florida can be retested to see if they still can drive, can't we find some way to retest GWB to find out if he remembered anything from Economics 101.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #32
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Women's issues.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 PM   #33
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Nice one Happy Monkey. Thats a fascinating read.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 AM   #34
Happy Monkey

Salmon population counting.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-04-2004, 07:18 PM   #35
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Securing Our Nation's Energy Future
Increase Domestic Energy Supplies through Advanced Alternative Technologies

Authorize the President’s Hydrogen Fuel initiative to help reduce our dependence on foreign sources of oil by creating a new generation of hydrogen-powered vehicles
Clearly the president has knowledge beyond that found in science. Where is all this hydrogen to come from? Will we just drill into the earth for it? IOW this president thinks you a fool. All he need do is put up some neat sound bytes and we will believe him?

In the meantime, enemies of god's choosen - Scientific American and Industrial Physicist -explain many problems with hydrogen fuels. God's laws exist such as Laws of Energy Conservation, and Thermodynamics. For example 4 cycle automobile automobile engines will never use more than 40% of the energy consumed in doing productive work. Basic thermodynamics principles cannot be violated no matter how George Jr interpretes the bible.

Manufacturing and distributing hydrogen to cars as fuel will mean somewhere between 78% and 92% of the energy will be lost - does no productive work. Inefficiencies because of so many energy conversions, gas compression, massive structures to contain hydrogen at those exteme pressures, leakage, etc. That is the problem with science. God does not decree a solution. Hydrogen is promoted by George Jr as a fuel just as he sees a 'man to Mars' as advanced science.

Bottom line - Hydrogen is not an acceptable fuel. It will never create energy independence. The solution to energy problems is conservation and efficiency. 30 years after they developed the technology, GM still did not use 70 Horsepower per liter engines in all vehicle (even though Honda and Toyota do). Why does George Jr not address that problem? Therein lies a major problem making the US energy dependent.

George Jr instead gives GM $millions - a gift - no strings attached - just to do the hybrid research that Honda and Toyota had been doing for years. Where does that solve the problem? (It means more legalized bribed from GM will appear in George Jr's campaign chest).

We have a problem. We need people educated in reality to make decisions and empower innovators. George Jr lies. He says Hydrogen fueled vehicles will be a solution. How curious. Anyone with real world knowledge is not saying that. Why does George Jr know better? Maybe god told him? Openly questioning either the intelligence or honesty of this president - because first I examine the facts rather than wait for god to tell me.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:46 AM   #36
tw

Clearly the administration knows better than scientists. Review the votes by scientists. But the president was, after all, choosen by god:
Quote:
from the Washington Post of 7 May 2004 Plan B Won't Be Sold Over Counter

The Food and Drug Administration yesterday rejected over-the-counter sales of the emergency contraceptive Plan B, saying the distributor had not proved that young teenagers can take the drug safely without a doctor's guidance.

The decision was an unusual repudiation of the lopsided recommendation of the agency's own expert advisory panel, which voted 23 to 4 late last year that the drug should be sold over the counter and then, that same day, 27 to 0 that the drug could be safely sold as an over-the-counter medication.

The denial was a major goal of social conservatives, including members of Congress who lobbied President Bush on the issue. Reproductive-rights advocates lobbied equally hard for its approval, and yesterday they criticized the decision as misguided and a historic blot on the reputation of the FDA as a science-based agency.

The "not approvable" letter was signed by acting director of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Steven K. Galson, not by members of the FDA review team, as is usual. Former officials of the FDA said that generally means that the review team had made a different recommendation.
The religious concept is that a 'morning after' pill causes an abortion. It is a fetus the millisecond a male ejaculates. After all, only god has the right to determine whether a baby is created. Therefore 27 unanimous scientists must be wrong. Screw the civil rights of women. God's choosen administration knows which religious beliefs must be imposed upon the people.

Last edited by tw; 05-07-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:56 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
Salmon population counting.
I don't see a problem here, Monkey. If we had a bunch of zoos cranking out thousands of tigers per year, then tigers shouldn't be on the endangered list.
But the Greenies say it's not about fish, it's about logging and development. It's really about habitat. Well then say so, god damn it. I'm just as tired of the greenies, as I am of the gumint, being deceptive about the real goals. If you want my support, talk straight.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:50 PM   #38
Happy Monkey

It's like saying wolves couldn't be endangered as long as there are dogs.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 05-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

No, dogs, while genetically similar are not wolves.

If would be the same if the wolf refuges were involved in breeding programs and releasing wolves to the wild. Oh, wait, they are. That's why there are wolves in Yellowstone again.

The salmon are still salmon.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:10 PM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From the link
Quote:
"Rather than address the problems of habitat degraded by logging, dams and urban sprawl, this policy will purposefully mask the precarious condition of wild salmon behind fish raised by humans in concrete pools," said Jan Hasselman, counsel for the National Wildlife Federation.
I have a problem with this person putting fish up as the problem when they really have a problem with logging, dams and sprawl. Maybe we should just evacuate the upper half of the west coast so the fish are not disturbed. Granted fish are a tougher sell than cute mammals but lets keep it real. If the problem is running out of salmon, the problem is solved. If the issue is something else, say so.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #41
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Cracks in the United Front

Nancy Reagan Calls for Stem Cell Research

Well, when the first lady of one of the most beloved (by his own party) presidents of the United States challenges the Bush Adminstration, who will win.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 06-15-2004, 01:03 PM   #42
Happy Monkey

Nutrition.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #43
tw

Quote:
cited by Happy Monkey Federal government classifies french fries as fresh veggies
The USDA quietly changed the regulations last year at the behest of the french fry industry, which has spent the past five decades pushing for a revision to the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act (PACA).
After five decades, they finally got a president that could be bought. Any of you George Jr lovers want to defend the mental midget president on this one? How does Rush Limbaugh deal with this? Or does he simply do what George Jr also does best - ignore facts he does not like.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:10 PM   #44
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
After five decades, they finally got a president that could be bought. Any of you George Jr lovers want to defend the mental midget president on this one? How does Rush Limbaugh deal with this? Or does he simply do what George Jr also does best - ignore facts he does not like.
I got the impression that it wasn't a health endorsement but one for legal and contractual purposes. Since french fries need to be frozen, they are asserting that the freezing does not mean they are not fresh. This is the same as how a 'fresh' turkey can be rock hard, just not frozen to a certain point.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act (PACA). The law was passed by Congress in 1930 to protect fruit and vegetable farmers in the event that their customers went out of business without paying for their produce.
I suppose "We The People" pay if they do, and the frozen food people want a piece of the action.