The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hiya Diminished (and Persistence!) I have no advice to offer I'm afraid; but a hearty welcome to the Cellar ... which is chock full of enough weirdness to keep anyone occupied for weeks :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #32
monster
I hear them call the tide

Well slap us sideways, they were with us all afternoon and evening and we never thought to get a photo. Now you have to come back tomorrow, guys.....

Diminished and I were at school together for one year back when we were 12/13/something like that, but he and P are so cool, it felt like we'd all known each other for a lot longer than that.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #33
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
By the way,are there any actual real live Raccoons is the U.S,or do they just appear spontaneously dead on the roadsides?They're by far the most common roadkill we see.
[diminished]
This is a result of an ongoing competition between them and the poultry population.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #34
monster

beest just remembered the Mitchell Corn Palace in South Dakota to add to your list of weirdness. And -as we discussed last night but also mentioning here in case other travellers use this thread- you should probably try and take in a rodeo in Nebraska.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #35
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
beest just remembered the Mitchell Corn Palace in South Dakota to add to your list of weirdness. And -as we discussed last night but also mentioning here in case other travellers use this thread- you should probably try and take in a rodeo in Nebraska.
is that still around? I saw it when i was a kid, and loved it. But I heard it had burned down.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #36
monster

It has? aw. we saw it about 7 years ago

Hmmm, seems to be still going....
Old 05-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #37
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Nebraska burned down? OMG!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Corn Palace.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #39
glatt

I just googled it. I saw it in 75 and it burned down in 79, but they rebuilt it in 81. I guess the press only reports fires, and not rebuilding. So I never heard it was rebuilt. Awesome place. I recommend it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #40
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by diminished View Post
Geordie (NE England,around Newcastle-upon-Tyne) accents are pretty difficult even for fellow English to understand.
Naw. After a year of living in Newcastle, I could understand a strong Geordie accent as long the speaker was sober and talking slow.

If you get to Montana you can't miss our world famous Buffalo Jumps.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #41
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
as long the speaker was sober and talking slow.

ah.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #42
monster

Well we just waved them off as they are heading for the upper peninsula. We took a pic, but I forgot to check I had permission to post, so you'll just have to wait a little longer....
Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #43
diminished
Why Aye,Man!

Deffo got my permission to post that pic m8,and thanks once again for a great weekend.You and yours were the perfect hosts,and all your neighborhood (look at me adapting to the local spellings) friends were great.You took us in,and got us drunk,which is the epitome of hospitality,as far as we're concerned.We were so enchanted,it took us about 30 minutes to adapt to being back on the road and make it away
Due to circumstances beyond our control,we only got as far as Holland today.Alarming lights began to flash on the dashboard,and I had to find free wifi and search quickly for solutions with a rapidly draining battery,it all turned out to be a storm in a teacup,but when you concentrate that into the crucible of a car's front seat,things get...tense..lol.Cigarettes and a nap have calmed things down now.
Monster and Co. have given us shedloads of information,enough to keep Persistence the mileage junkie very busy for the next week.We've had to mail out another version of the route we're following to the folks back home (the 4th so far,and warned them that a 5th is probably not too far behind it),and every detour adds more possibilities from other Cellarites.Thankyou all for your input

and lol@ Perry Winkle....we still tend to talk like we're nailing each word we say onto the listeners forehead

Last edited by diminished; 05-25-2009 at 08:40 PM.
diminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #44
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I'm going to visit monnie.....
Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #45
monster

heehee. I'll get to work on that pic. Holland is full of.... windmills, tulips and clogs. and tourists. Really. Not much of the wacky baccy, though. Or the liberal attitude.