The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #16
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Let's see: they believe in sequestering women. They believe they must murder all unbelievers. They believe the total of human knowledge should be contained in the Holy Quran -- as if it were big enough. They believe Israel shouldn't exist, and don't take the Jews into proper account in this -- hey, if not Israel, then where, again? They believe another genocide of the Jews would be just the thing -- as if anybody has done anything much with that parcel of territory before a bunch of Jews moved in and made a success of the place. Seems to me the Jews are doing a better job. They believe that the solution to the Jews doing a better job is to be at perennial feud with the Jews. My God.

Et cetera, et bloody cetera.

I shall not look from their perspective, because I've never seen anything in their radical-Islamist perspective that is any good.

Muslims who don't commit any of the above are not the ones I turn my fire against.

I gave up moral relativism of your sort many years ago. Until you depart from it also, you haven't got much to teach me. Moral relativism is not a tool whereby you can make such elementary distinctions as good from evil.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #17
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Godamn, Muslims do not want to commit genocide on the Jews. Israel was forced upon them, they just want their land back. If Israel was placed in South America, the Middle East wouldn't care about it.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Their land, gotcha.

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah has said that it's better if the Jews gather in one single nation because then they can be gotten all at one time.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #19
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
They woke the giant, and they better own that.
Oh, great, another person speaking of this as if it were WWII and the US has come to save the world from the great evil. This is getting really old.

Quote:
Americans really really really wanted a war.
Fixed that.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #20
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
"We the People" :
It musta been "Ouija People" because I had nothing to do with electing him!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #21
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Pangloss, explain something: just where in your (poorer than mine) thinking is any consideration that our foes hit at us repeatedly, and lethally, over the span of eighteen years before we replied to any effect? Since you seem to need a reminder, these were Beirut 1983, WTC 1993, USS Cole, the embassies, and finally 9/11. Our longsufferingness gives us enormous virtue, my friend. They woke the giant, and they better own that.

These people really really really wanted a war. We Americans have no business complaining if at too long last they got one. So what the hell do you think you're accomplishing but aid and comfort to foes who deserve neither?
Who are "these people"? Who were you going to go to war against in 1983? Oh, yeah - Grenada - thanks, Dutch, nice response to the attack in Beruit. What nation attacked us in 1993? Who could we invade? The USS Cole attackers were identified after Bush took office, Who should he have invaded? Afghanistan was a legitimate target. Iraq is/was not. The majority of the 9/11 attackers came from Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan is a hornets' nest that supports the Taliban, and should have been considered before Iraq.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #22
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #23
rkzenrage

Fighting illegal occupiers of your sovereign nation is not terrorism.

Quote:
Let's see: they believe in sequestering women. They believe they must murder all unbelievers. They believe the total of human knowledge should be contained in the Holy Quran -- as if it were big enough. They believe Israel shouldn't exist, and don't take the Jews into proper account in this -- hey, if not Israel, then where, again? They believe another genocide of the Jews would be just the thing -- as if anybody has done anything much with that parcel of territory before a bunch of Jews moved in and made a success of the place. Seems to me the Jews are doing a better job. They believe that the solution to the Jews doing a better job is to be at perennial feud with the Jews. My God.

Et cetera, et bloody cetera.

I shall not look from their perspective, because I've never seen anything in their radical-Islamist perspective that is any good.

Muslims who don't commit any of the above are not the ones I turn my fire against.

I gave up moral relativism of your sort many years ago. Until you depart from it also, you haven't got much to teach me. Moral relativism is not a tool whereby you can make such elementary distinctions as good from evil.
There is no "They", not all Muslims hold those beliefs.
Not everyone believes in "Evil", especially evil people. We are all capable of the same things, good and bad.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #24
Pangloss62
Lecturer

We

Quote:
Pangloss, explain something: just where in your (poorer than mine) thinking is any consideration that our foes hit at us repeatedly, and lethally, over the span of eighteen years before we replied to any effect?
I actually think Spex did a good job of explaining the situation. I think you and some others have conflated "The Terrorists" with "Those swarthy Muslims." When you say we should "hit them" I suppose that includes all the civilian men, women, and children, that have and will continue to perish? The damage we have wreaked is out of all proportion to the violence perpetrated against us. And as my initial post inplied, I'm a bit pissed off that W essentially says "Hey. I didn't expect it to get so bad (remember Katrina), but now that it is, let's send in more soldiers."

He's in a bubble.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #25
Ibby
erika

Lets say you're walking one day and you step in a hornet's nest. But rather than sting you, somehow the hornets politely ask you to leave, repeatedly. Then they sting you a few times so you get the picture. But since they asked you to do so, you would lose face by actually moving your foot, so you stay. Well, finally, they get fed up and a massive cloud of them rises and starts stinging the FUCK outta you. Should you honestly blame the hornets?

What you don't ever seem to be able to grasp, UG, is that we can't fight terrorism. We can't. We can prosecute those that perpetrate acts of terrorism, in a just and legal fashion, but to fight the ideal, the institution, the very concept of terrorism? The only way to do that is to IGNORE it, to not let it TERRORIZE us, to rise above it and keep the moral highground. Trying to crush terrorism beneath combat boots and tank treads only increases the problem, exponentially. To 'win', as you put it, we need to educate, help, and otherwise improve the state of those who would terrorize us, we need to give them nothing to terrorize us about, and we need to above all feel no terror at their attempts. If they have us running scared, like they do, running scared straight towards them, they have won.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I totally did not vote for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But you are not "We the People", nobody is. The "We the People" allowing the whole fiasco, is the majority.

This is an exellent example of why the Bill of Rights, preventing the majority from imposing on the minority, is so important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
See above.:p
Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Pangloss, explain something: just where in your (poorer than mine) thinking is any consideration that our foes hit at us repeatedly, and lethally, over the span of eighteen years before we replied to any effect? Since you seem to need a reminder, these were Beirut 1983, WTC 1993, USS Cole, the embassies, and finally 9/11. Our longsufferingness gives us enormous virtue, my friend. They woke the giant, and they better own that.

These people really really really wanted a war. We Americans have no business complaining if at too long last they got one. So what the hell do you think you're accomplishing but aid and comfort to foes who deserve neither?
Right on, let's kick some terrorist butt! Oh wait, we can't. Bush has the military tied up with his vendetta in Iraq.
By the time the next President extracts the troops from that quagmire, I'm afraid the public will have lost their enthusiasm for going back to Afghanistan and actually fight terrorists.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #28
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Why oh why must you all think with only two digits of your respective IQ and believe I cannot tell one sort of Muslim from another? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Oh for some real intelligent discourse!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #29
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Try mensa.com UG. They'll give you a run for your money. Unlike all the mental midgets here.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #30
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
While I do not disagree in general with your point about us having been repeatedly struck with little to no response, I still need to know where the unequivocal link to Iraq is, here. Don't get me wrong...Saddam was scum, and I'm glad he's dead. But aren't we now going to have to kill *every* despot that rises to take his place? I mean, no one seriously believes that there's going to be a kinder, gentler Muslim world now that he's gone, right? Right?

Shouldn't we be kicking the snot out of the guys who actually claimed responsibility? Wouldn't we be doing a better job of that if we were out of Iraq and crawling up Bin Laden's ass with a Tomahawk right now?

We're done in Iraq, we need to go. It isn't stable with us there, and it isn't going to be stable when we're gone. Meanwhile, the guys who actually said they pulled off 9-11 are still crawling around the Middle Eastern baseboards like the cockroaches they are.