The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-16-2007, 02:19 AM   #16
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
*Nods* clearly they are idiots who've never watched a small group of children play make believe. Most children like a healthy dose of gore and fear in their play and in their imaginary worlds. Fairy stories are dark; darker than any video game. We are much more squeamish about that stuff when we become adults.

A 'normal', well adjusted kid can cope perfectly well with the concept of fiction. They learn it very early on (can't recall exactly, but I think it's around the age of 3). The only kids likely to be drawing real-life lessons from their violent shootem-ups are kids who are probably going to act violently or in a disturbed manner, regardless of what they watch/play. Even if they mirror an actual game in their actions: that just means (imo) they've taken their theme from that game; the decision to act violently is entirely separate from the choice of theme.
These are the same, "pot is a gateway drug because heroin addicts did it" morons.
I have never met an addict, yes I have known quite a few, that did not smoke first... so, by their logic, actually cigarettes are the real demon of heroin.
Stupid people are funny and predictable and should not be allowed to hold jobs where they are allowed to speak.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:44 AM   #17
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Stupid people are funny and predictable and should not be allowed to hold jobs where they are allowed to speak.
Well then we'd have to reverse time by a few tens of thousands of years, wouldn't we. Doh!
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #18
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeboduuza View Post
I heard potatoes have eyes but I doubt they see well underground.
Mine actually came from a halfway reliable source...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #19
Nivek
It's a fiendishly complex anagram of my name, Kevin.

Holy crap. If you don't want your kid to listen to a radio station that don't let your kid listen to said radio station. Is this guy going to call every producer who has released an R or N17 rated movie and tell them they're sick and disgusting?

And I think censorship has gotten too exaggerated anyway. When you can't say "pills", "gun", or "four-four" in songs then you know it's gotten out of hand. "S---", "f---", and various sexual references should be blocked but everything else inevitably will be heard by a child at some point. If the kids don't hear it on the radio or at the movies or on TV then they're gonna hear it at school, no matter what. Even the private Christian schools have kids who cuss as much, if not more, than a public school.

Shielding your child from what they'll inevitably hear doesn't do anything but make them mad.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #20
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I don't really have proof for this but what I've heard is that violent video games are not healthy for very young kids because they will pick up on it but once they get older it is actually a release so they will actually be less violent by playing them.
It works with martial arts, if not precisely that way broken down by age. Aggression sees a full release.

There are two things you get in a martial arts dojo: the skills, and a big dose of morals. The sensei imparts both, in equal doses, or favoring the dose of morals. Every martial art worth its salt sees to it that sociopaths and brutes don't make black belt, nor teach.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #21
Ibby
erika

Fuck radio. Go Sirius.

Oh, and fuck Tipper fucking Gore too. She's the reason I could never vote for Al Gore. Oh, and Darling Nikki fucking owns.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #22
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
It works with martial arts, if not precisely that way broken down by age. Aggression sees a full release.

There are two things you get in a martial arts dojo: the skills, and a big dose of morals. The sensei imparts both, in equal doses, or favoring the dose of morals. Every martial art worth its salt sees to it that sociopaths and brutes don't make black belt, nor teach.
Agreed.

It is obviously a choice but I think martial arts a very good thing for people and society and I highly recommend it for anyone (except sociopaths of course), when taught right. It greatly increases self-confidence and, if taught right, will increase the morality of that person, which both will help society in general greatly.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 AM   #23
Piccolo Padawan
Profitable Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I don't really have proof for this but what I've heard is that violent video games are not healthy for very young kids because they will pick up on it but once they get older it is actually a release so they will actually be less violent by playing them.
it definitely is, I know when I get overly aggravated with the woes of being a teenager, I go off and play GTA or some random shooting game on the xbox. Or even blow off steam by going running.

But censorship in America has gotten entirely out of control. I love Germany because they are allowed to say words like, 'shit', 'fuck' and have naked people on cable television. It's ridiculous, if parents don't want their kids to experience the world and give them a realistic view, then they should either home school them in a bubble and hold their hands all through out life, or not even both to procreate at all, and not even waste our time.
Piccolo Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:52 AM   #24
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

It can be rather discouraging, noting how some people demonstrate the hard way that they have no business being parents.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #25
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolo Padawan
it definitely is, I know when I get overly aggravated with the woes of being a teenager, I go off and play GTA or some random shooting game on the xbox....

But censorship in America has gotten entirely out of control. I love Germany because they are allowed to say words like, 'shit', 'fuck' and have naked people on cable television.
That's funny. Did you know that Germany has the strictest censorship rules for violent videogames out of all the countries where videogames are regularly released? You can't kill a human in a German videogame, period. The usual workaround for this in the industry is to change the blood color to green and add some bit to the storyline somewhere about how they are actually aliens that only look like humans.

The More You Know
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 AM   #26
rkzenrage

Just so I make it clear...
Censorship is stupid.
It is for morons, period.

If you cannot control what you think and how you process information, you are clinically insane and should not be allowed in public.
If you choose not to control your child, you should give them to someone who will or shut-up and not complain about what they are doing.
It is our job to parent, not the world's to parent for us.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #27
Piccolo Padawan
Profitable Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
That's funny. Did you know that Germany has the strictest censorship rules for violent videogames out of all the countries where videogames are regularly released? You can't kill a human in a German videogame, period. The usual workaround for this in the industry is to change the blood color to green and add some bit to the storyline somewhere about how they are actually aliens that only look like humans.

The More You Know

I did indeed know that, but Germany isn't perfect. I just prefer their ideas on censorship in general better than here. Here is just ridiculous with the parents complaining about what their children see and hear on the radio or TV, and what not.
Piccolo Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #28
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I love these stories. It's a guaranteed nostalgia trip back to when I lobbied my mother for a solid two weeks to get her to buy me a copy of Mortal Kombat 2 for Genesis. I failed utterly, of course, despite what I still feel was a highly-advanced level of debate and negotiation on my part for a child of my years. If I had to guess, I'd say the negotiations fell apart after she took the radical approach of going to the local EB and seeing MK2 on a demo station they'd set up. I didn't anticipate it, I didn't know parents could or would actually preview questionable material before granting viewing approval to the child. I dropped the ball, and I can only blame myself.

I'm a firm believer in the "it takes a village" philosophy of child-raising. For example, it takes a parent to set and enforce limits upon what the child can and can not see/do/etc., and it takes an older brother to help the child devise ways to covertly circumvent those limits. Such ways include, but are not limited to, playing Chris Rock albums in his car in the child's presence, watching Jackie Brown with the child at his apartment, and taking the child to an ECW house show two towns over. (Killer seats, bro. Thanks again.)