The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #346
SamIam

Ya know, I have this sneaking suspicion that we are not going to find any common ground on this one - well maybe with Bruce, but everyone else is pretty polarized. We've has 346 posts so far, and MY mind hasn't been changed. Just saying.

OK proceed as before and you tell 'em Redux!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #347
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Ya know, I have this sneaking suspicion that we are not going to find any common ground on this one - well maybe with Bruce, but everyone else is pretty polarized. We've has 346 posts so far, and MY mind hasn't been changed. Just saying.
You got that right. There are strongly held beliefs on both sides.

Quote:
OK proceed as before and you tell 'em Redux!
But I'm getting a head ache
Old 10-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #348
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Ya know, I have this sneaking suspicion that we are not going to find any common ground on this one - well maybe with Bruce... snip
Yup, I'm a commoner.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #349
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
SO what's new.....conservative and libertarian groups (AEI, CEI...) dont like the idea of government intervention, even in protecting the environment and encouraging and stimulating the development of alternative energy.
Bull shit.

Quote:
I'm not one who believes CO2 emissions cause global warming...I do believe that anthropogenic emissions of CO2 (automobiles, power plants, etc) may contribute to global warming and certainly do contribute to environmental degradation...and being the second largest contributor, we should reduce those emissions.
Yea, China and India are all over that.

Quote:
IMO, it is much like the screaming of doomsday scenarios by libertarians and industry groups back in the 70s when the series of comprehensive new environmental laws were enacted...clear air act, clear water act, safe drinking water act, hazardous waste disposal act, toxic substances control act.
"All this government intervention and regulation will cost the consumers $millions...it will make the US less competitive....blah blah blah"
In fact, the reverse happened....those environmental laws stimulated innovation with no pain to the consumers and made the US the leader in environmental management initiatives, with US companies exporting those innovations all over the world...and doing a pretty damned good job of cleaning up the environment at the same time.
We are not talking about cleaning up a toxic environment in that sense.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #350
Redux

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
SO what's new.....conservative and libertarian groups (AEI, CEI...) dont like the idea of government intervention, even in protecting the environment and encouraging and stimulating the development of alternative energy.
Bull shit.
RIght.

AEI's proposed solution is to bcome "more resilient" to climate change (under AEI health care reform, does that mean free artificial lungs for those with breathing disorders?) AND to fully privatize the infrastructure (power plants, water plants, roads,....) most impacted.

CEI has opposed all government regulation in this area and has declared that higher CAFE standards for autos are more likely to kill you than provide more energy efficient autos.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #351
TheMercenary

Still BS. You made a broad sweeping statement and it is false. If you want to narrow it down to those two organizations as your example I agree with you.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #352
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Still BS. You made a broad sweeping statement and it is false. If you want to narrow it down to those two organizations as your example I agree with you.
I could add the CATO Institute, the Heartland Institute (it should be called the Exxon Institute), the Hoover Institute....In fact, I cant name one libertarian-type organization that supports any government role; there may be a few more accepting conservative organizations, but I dont know of any off the top of my head. Perhaps you do.

But thank you for agreeing about AEI and CEI.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #353
TheMercenary

Institutes generally don't represent industry. You can find a mirid of opinions from their subject matter experts but I am certain we could find some pretty inflamatory statements from any organization you didn't agree with.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #354
SamIam

CO2 at Highest Levels in 15 Million Years

This just in:

Quote:
You would have to go back at least 15 million years to find carbon dioxide levels on Earth as high as they are today, a UCLA scientist and colleagues report Oct. 8 in the online edition of the journal Science.

"The last time carbon dioxide levels were apparently as high as they are today — and were sustained at those levels — global temperatures were 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit higher than they are today, the sea level was approximately 75 to 120 feet higher than today, there was no permanent sea ice cap in the Arctic and very little ice on Antarctica and Greenland," said the paper's lead author, Aradhna Tripati, a UCLA assistant professor in the department of Earth and space sciences and the department of atmospheric and oceanic sciences.

"Carbon dioxide is a potent greenhouse gas, and geological observations that we now have for the last 20 million years lend strong support to the idea that carbon dioxide is an important agent for driving climate change throughout Earth's history," she said.
http://www.climate.ucla.edu/news/art...?parentid=4676

The research data continues to build up, it is good science, carefully peer reviewed, and it makes absolute sense to anybody who cares to read it. I feel like I am trying to discuss evolution with a fundamentalist. Its not global warming, its intelligent design.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #355
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Were the temperatures and sea level caused by the CO2, or vice versa?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #356
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Reading the story, the researcher is clinically careful not to draw any conclusion on that question.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #357
SamIam

Interesting question, Bruce. The paper does not address that. However, current carbon isotope studies show that the CO2 increase we are experiencing today is because of human induced carbon emissions. Put that together with the close correlation of CO2 levels and temperature and sea level increases, and we have a major cause for concern.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #358
SamIam

Also, from this link:
http://www.koshland-science-museum.o...storical03.jsp
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #359
TheMercenary

One really good global disaster should put things back in balance. I guess we really need to get India and China to the table so the world doesn't end.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #360
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sam, that graph appears to be bullshit. Wikipedia has a comparison chart of "10 different published reconstructions of mean temperature changes during the last 1000 years."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote