The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
garnet

Favorite BEER???

I just picked up some Sam Adams Hefeweizen at the store--I'd never tried it before, and was a bit skeptical. It's actually pretty darn tasty! Any other good choices out there? My favorite would have to be whatever I drank all the time when I was in Prague in June. It was so good that now I can't remember what the hell it was! But hey, the beer IS stronger over there....
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You were probably drinking Budweiser in Prague. REAL Budweiser. Budweiser Budvar. It's sold over here as "Czechvar."

Sam Adams isn't bad for a large production beer pretending to be a microbrew. I've had a lot of different beers, and keep looking out for newer and more interesting varieties. I do have a fondness for really dark beers.

Flying Fish Midas Touch was phenomenal, even if it is damn expensive.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
You were probably drinking Budweiser in Prague. REAL Budweiser. Budweiser Budvar. It's sold over here as "Czechvar."

Flying Fish Midas Touch was phenomenal, even if it is damn expensive.
I bet you're right--I sorta remember hearing about that whole Budweiser thing. From what I heard they're still battling it out with American Budweiser over the use of the name in the US (???). Never heard of the Flying Fish beer--I'll keep an eye out for it. I tend to be a fan of the REAL microbrews, too.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I'm not a drinker but I have a friend who loves Yuengling. Me, I can't get past the stench of alcohol.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
TheSnake
Resident President

Saranac lager is probably my favorite. I've had many different great beers. Speaking of Czech beers, Pilsner Urquell is pretty good.

Did you know that all beers are either classified as a lager or ale.
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #6
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnake
Speaking of Czech beers, Pilsner Urquell is pretty good.
Yeah, I think I tried that one too when I was in Prague. Good stuff. In the Czech Republic it's actually cheaper to order a beer than a glass of water in most restaurants.....what a great concept.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
Me, I can't get past the stench of alcohol.
I'm like that too but only with hard liquors. Just the smell of rum is enough to make me barf. Tequila (in the form of a fruity tropical drink with an umbrella) is the only hard liquor I can handle.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 PM   #8
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Draft Guinness...*drools*
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:12 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My bad ... I must report an error in my favorite beer reportage ... Midas Touch is produced by Dogfish Head, not Flying Fish.

Flying Fish does make really yummy beers though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 08-22-2004, 09:12 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh, and current more widely available not as expensive favorite beer is Young's Chocolate Stout.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:26 PM   #11
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I like Stella Artios - draft... don't know if you can find it draft in the US, but it is so good. It has a very sweet taste, not very bitter. Very, very lovely!
Old 08-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

mmmmm beeeeeerrrrrrrr......

My favorite? I dare say the one I'm holding in my hand.... when I don't have a single malt Scotch, or a martini (which is what I have at the moment).

My overall favorite kind of beer is wheat beer. I'm especially partial to Sierra Nevada Wheat. I also tend to lean toward German imports and American micros of the light persuasion... I'm not a big fan of stouts & bitters. Dogfish and Magic hat are two of my favorite micros... also Victory and Brewery Hill in the local category. Speaking of local, all Philadelphia-area beer lovers owe themselves a trip to Total Wine in Claymont, DE, just over the PA/DE border, to gawk at the selection of beer (and wine and liquor for that matter).
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:28 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I love the under the cap fortunes on the Magic Hat. (am I thinking of the right beer, steve?)

Old 08-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #14
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Good to see Guinness guys (and gals) up here. Easily still the best beer ever. However, at one point at the bar I worked at, we had Guiness and either Harp or Bass (whichever one is lighter, I'm pretty sure it was Harp) both on tap. Black and Tan. If you drink beer, and you've never had a guinness black and tan, you need to get off your ass.

Yuengling's B&Ts aren't bad either, and are usually what I drink because they're the only decent one I've seen bottled.

However, my drink of choice is still a single malt, up ("Glen-something..." --Swingers), or the bastard son of martinis, a vodka martini (obscenely dry, of course) up, lime twist.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:49 PM   #15
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphageek31337
If you drink beer, and you've never had a guinness black and tan, you need to get off your ass.
Guinness: Proof that the Irish are indeed the supreme beings of the universe

Somebody mentioned Sierra Nevada--haven't had it in a while, I forgot how good it is! Love the wheats.