The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #391
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I doesn't look like an answer because your so busy trying to support your lies you can't read for comprehension.
None of my handguns were bought for self defense.
If you broke in my house, and tried to kill me me a baseball bat, I'd cut you in half with a 12 gage shotgun, dumb fuck.
I rest my case.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #392
jinx
Come on, cat.

Eh? Your whole point is that Bruce would defend himself if attacked?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #393
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

People own guns for alot of reasons. One reason is just because they can.

I don't own a gun because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

But I would like a little pistol in my boot if it were all about asthetics and I may just do that one of these days. I doubt a pea shooter would do much damage so I don't think it would be about self defense so much.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #394
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Really? If someone forced their way into your house and threatened you with a baseball bat, what would you do? Don't avoid the question, this time. You're making accusations, answer the question.
If someone forced their way into my home and threatened any member of my family, I'd exercise my right to defend my life, property, and family and I'd shoot the motherfucker in DEFENSE. Depending on the situation, it may be a shot to kill or a shot to wound. I'd use whatever level of force I personally deemed appropriate up to and including deadly force.

That's the part morons like you don't get. You make no distinction between killing in defense, and killing to attack. Not one person in the entire recorded history of mankind has ever been killed by a gun. There have been plenty of people killed by other people who were using guns.

A gun is an inanimate object and we have a RIGHT to own any weapon we obtain honestly without any government oversight, permission, or limitations. No person or group of people regardless of their number has any authority or right to prevent another from owning any weapons they choose.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #395
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
If someone forced their way into my home and threatened any member of my family, I'd exercise my right to defend my life, property, and family and I'd shoot the motherfucker in DEFENSE. Depending on the situation, it may be a shot to kill or a shot to wound. I'd use whatever level of force I personally deemed appropriate up to and including deadly force.

That's the part morons like you don't get. You make no distinction between killing in defense, and killing to attack. Not one person in the entire recorded history of mankind has ever been killed by a gun. There have been plenty of people killed by other people who were using guns.

A gun is an inanimate object and we have a RIGHT to own any weapon we obtain honestly without any government oversight, permission, or limitations. No person or group of people regardless of their number has any authority or right to prevent another from owning any weapons they choose.
You are wasting your time on this one Radar. I don't think he will ever get it. Criminals need victims, we will never be one.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #396
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Exactly. If someone buys a gun to defend themselves, they intend to use lethal force to defend themselves. If the circumstances arise, they intend to kill someone. They may even hope that they never have to, but just owning a gun indicates their intent.
If someone buys a gun to defend themselves, they hope to have the force needed to do it. This does NOT mean they are buying a gun to kill people. In nearly all cases, merely showing the attacker a weapon is enough of a deterrent to get them to leave. Owning a gun does not indicate an intent to kill and only an idiot would claim such.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #397
Ibby
erika

I have a question, Radar...

With all your absolutist spiels about rights and how nobody can or cant tell you to do something...

Let's say I'm your next-door neighbor. We're on really good terms, as good neighbors should be, and everything's fine. Then one day you exercise your right as a human being to own arms and buy an RPG launcher (or something of the same level, you get what I'm saying) that you don't really need, but that you simply want to have. I dont like this much; the very idea of a weapon that could easily blow up a car or even house sitting in the garage next door is just downright unsettling. I talk to the rest of the neighbors on the street and they kinda agree with me. So I knock on your door and ask nicely if you could kinda, if its not too much trouble, get rid of the weapon. What do you do? Defy the neighborhood and sit on your porch with it loaded and ready for any opposition, in the face of everything just for the sake of it, or, to assuage the fears of your worried friends and neighbors, sell it?

That's what society is. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices, put limits on ourselves, about what we do. Thats why some limits on gun ownership are necessary, for the mentally ill or incompetent, criminals, etc, and reasonable limits imposed on what's simply too powerful or too dangerous for personal ownership.
The only question is where to draw the line.

(since I know all you people are downright CRAZY about gun threads (i swear these threads set you off worse than a matador to a bull) and all, keep in mind that I'm PRO-gun rights, dont flip out at ME for this - i'm just sayin', you know)
Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #398
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I rest my case.
You have no case, fool.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #399
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
I have a question, Radar...

With all your absolutist spiels about rights and how nobody can or cant tell you to do something...

Let's say I'm your next-door neighbor. We're on really good terms, as good neighbors should be, and everything's fine. Then one day you exercise your right as a human being to own arms and buy an RPG launcher (or something of the same level, you get what I'm saying) that you don't really need, but that you simply want to have. I dont like this much; the very idea of a weapon that could easily blow up a car or even house sitting in the garage next door is just downright unsettling. I talk to the rest of the neighbors on the street and they kinda agree with me. So I knock on your door and ask nicely if you could kinda, if its not too much trouble, get rid of the weapon. What do you do? Defy the neighborhood and sit on your porch with it loaded and ready for any opposition, in the face of everything just for the sake of it, or, to assuage the fears of your worried friends and neighbors, sell it?

That's what society is. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices, put limits on ourselves, about what we do. Thats why some limits on gun ownership are necessary, for the mentally ill or incompetent, criminals, etc, and reasonable limits imposed on what's simply too powerful or too dangerous for personal ownership.
The only question is where to draw the line.

(since I know all you people are downright CRAZY about gun threads (i swear these threads set you off worse than a matador to a bull) and all, keep in mind that I'm PRO-gun rights, dont flip out at ME for this - i'm just sayin', you know)
If the neighbors asked me very nicely, I might consider it. But in the end, it is my choice alone, and my neighbors have no say in whether or not I keep the weapon. I don't believe any limitations on guns is reasonable. In fact when people get out of prison (even if they've used a gun in a crime), they should be able to own guns again. If they pose a danger, they should not be released.

You, and my neighbors, could choose to shun me, and never do business with me, and make my life inconvenient enough (without violating my rights) that I might want to move.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #400
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You have no case, fool.
He's saying, "I've proven nothing, and I can live with that"
Old 05-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #401
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How could he prove anything, when he can't even come up with a credible theory.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #402
Spexxvet

Intelligent people understand, and know I'm right. You can keep going on and on and on, you won't make any more sense.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #403
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Intelligent people understand, and know you're and idiot that doesn't have a clue.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #404
Spexxvet

I don't know what happened when you had your little breakdown, or whatever, but you've been a dick ever since you came back. Just stop.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #405
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
But in the end, it is my choice alone, and my neighbors have no say in whether or not I keep the weapon. I don't believe any limitations on guns is reasonable.
Well again we go up against it: under the Constitution, who decides the definition of the word "arms" in the 2nd amendment?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote