The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Flint has his own police force?

Holy crap!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Quote:
Hit-and-run posting? Same topic over and over and over? Intentional inflammatoriness?
Does that mean RK is now a troll? 2/3 ain't bad:p
Old 08-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #18
minnmirman
noob

I dont see why that wouldnt be agreeable to everyone. I have no problem with immigration, but I was pretty pissed when my truck was hit by someone who was here illegally and my rates went way up when my company had to pay for it (some time ago). I realize that it seems conceited to worry about my insurance rates when that person would end up being deported, but it's a small example of a big problem.

Maybe Mexico should start doing something that would make their people not want to run north
minnmirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you were a Mexican outlaw, and the police were looking for you, where would you go?
That's why we're getting so many criminals sneaking in, along with the people just looking for work. But if you say, it's a bad law so ignore it, that's what happens.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnmirman View Post
Maybe Mexico should start doing something that would make their people not want to run north
Mexico does not create the problem. Problem is created by the same people who caused the first ever failed international trade conference. The Doha Round completely collapsed. The entire world walked out of Cancun three days early do to two nations who so demonstrated contempt for free trade - United States and France.

US provides corporate welfare to cotton, soybeans, corn, sugar, and a long list of other crops. Newest corporate welfare is ethanol. We charge $0.50 for every gallon of imported ethanol. That is a nation who beleives in free trade?

Most of these crops are better grown in other nations such as Mexico. Ethanol that acutally takes less energy to make is in Brazil. Nations that could actually employ their own citizens if, for example, the US did not subsidize 50% of all sugar.

Why do fruit drinks now have so much sugar and no fruit? Again, with sugar paid for by the US government, why would they want to provide a drink that was healthy? Profits are now so high selling corn syrup as Apple Juice. Governement pays for that corn syrup. Government also makes it difficult for Jose to start a farm growing corn or making corn syrup.

Just one example of why American desperately needs so many illegal immigrants and why Jose cannot start in business in Mexico doing what Mexico could do better.

Meanwhile, this is all too complex for most Americans. Easier is to blame all problems on dirty dumb Mexicans. Just another emotion based in racism and 'knowledge without first learning the facts'.

Doha has failed - directly traceable to anti-free trading nations called United States and France.

Last edited by tw; 08-30-2007 at 08:12 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #21
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

If you were a US outlaw and the police were looking for you, where would you go?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Australia.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #23
jinx
Come on, cat.

I, Jimi, and every other criminal in US pop culture would flee to Mexico.
Where do aussie criminals go ali?

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand
Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that gun in your hand

I'm going down to shoot my old lady
You know, I've caught her messin' around with another man
I'm going down to shoot my old lady
You know, I've caught her messin' around with another man
And that ain't too cool

Hey Joe, I've heard you shot your woman down,
shot her down, now
I said I've heard you shot your old lady down,
You shot her down to the ground

Yes I did, I shot her
You know, I caught her messin' round, messin' round town
Yes I did, I shot her
You know, I caught my old lady messin' around town
And I gave her the gun
I SHOT HER!

Hey Joe, alright
Shoot her one more time, baby

Hey Joe, said now
Where you gonna run to now?
Where you gonna run to?
Hey Joe, I said where you gonna run to now?
Where you, where you gonna go?
Well, dig it

I'm goin' way down south,
Way down to Mexico way
Alright!
I'm goin' way down south,
Way down where I can be free
Ain't no one gonna find me

Ain't no hangman gonna,
He ain't gonna put a rope around me
You better believe it right now
I gotta go now
Hey Joe, you better run on down
Good by everybody
Hey Joe, uhh
Run on down
Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Just one example of why American desperately needs so many illegal immigrants and why Jose cannot start in business in Mexico doing what Mexico could do better.
Why can't Jose start a business, growing whatever, for Mexicans?
Quote:
Meanwhile, this is all too complex for most Americans. Easier is to blame all problems on dirty dumb Mexicans.
That's not a nice thing to say about them.
Quote:

Doha has failed - directly traceable to anti-free trading nations called United States and France.
I thought NAFTA was supposed to be the be all/end all, for fixing Mexico's problems.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #25
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Meanwhile, this is all too complex for most Americans. Easier is to blame all problems on dirty dumb Mexicans. Just another emotion based in racism and 'knowledge without first learning the facts'.
Easier for you to blame the US - that seems to be your solution to everything. Lets stop all subsidies then - is that your solution?? We can then offer the money to mexico while our own farmers become unprofitable. Perhaps what you are saying is beyond me or just not entirely correct - I don't know which. This is dangerous, but here goes, care to elaborate?
BTW You didn't use "mental midget" nor "traceable to top management" once - I'm proud of ya.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #26
Aliantha

Where do Aussie criminals go? Usually to prison if they get caught. Otherwise, they seem to have a penchant for Europe these days. Spain in particular. There's not really any one particular country that has been glamourized as 'the' place to go if you're trying to avoid the law though.

I suppose maybe they end up in the outback waiting to lure unsuspecting english tourists to their lair.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #27
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Isn't the criminal's nationality irrelevant?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #28
Aliantha

Probably...but there have been a couple of cases in the outback involving english tourists over the last decade or so. i'm thinking maybe they're the victim of choice.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #29
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

By tw's logic, wouldn't we be causing massive economic and social collapse in other countries as well? Wait, we must also be responsible for the massive incompetency of the Mexican government and their unwillingness to perform basic governmental regulation of the economy. And after all, we're their only hope because there's no way Mexicans can buy products made in Mexico!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 PM   #30
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Why can't Jose start a business, growing whatever, for Mexicans?
That's not a nice thing to say about them.I thought NAFTA was supposed to be the be all/end all, for fixing Mexico's problems.
How does Jose grow sugar when American government subsidies for sugar make sugar prices less than what it costs Jose. Even American sugar growers would be bankrupt if trying to sell at those prices without government subsidizes. And that was the entire complaint against both US and France in the Doha round. A complaint so loud that most all countries in the world walked out of Cancun three days early.

NAFTA was supposed to open markets. And then Americans kept putting restrictions on free trade such as requiring goods be transferred to American trucks at the border. And then we restricted all Canadian lumber for years because it was selling at better prices. Well, yes. There are some reasons for anti-NAFTA restrictions. But we have this fact. Mexicans must come here to work for farmers. Those same agricultural products that could just as easily be grown in Mexico. But Mexican farmers cannot compete due to American corporate welfare that makes it impossible for other nations to sell competitively.

What is the price of your orange juice? What was it only two years ago? That gallon of orange juice selling for $6 could have been selling again for only $4 IF we permit Brazil to export their oranges. Where is this free trade? Where would so many immigrants go for jobs? Brazil. More illegal immigration solved by eliminating corporate welfare and other anti-free trade laws - by creating free markets.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote