The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-31-2002, 11:14 AM   #1
LordSludge
Geek

Thumbs up Greenville, South Carolina

Lovely little city nestled in the foothills of Upstate South Carolina. The Smokey Mountains are an hour to the north, the beach is 4 hours to the east. Nice climate if you like your summers hot (generally 90-100F) and only occasionaly snow -- like once per year. There are plenty of lakes around for waterskiing, wakeboarding, etc., but you'll have to travel to find decent snow. (NC has *fair* ski slopes, but short runs and mostly man-made snow.)

There seem to be plenty of computer-related jobs here; I've never had trouble finding myself work, anyhow. Cost of living is pretty low, exactly half of San Jose, CA last time I checked. Traffic is no problem in town, but can be kinda bad in the more densely populated suburbs. Speaking of "in town", the downtown area has experienced a revitalization in the past 5 years, becoming much more of a cultural/entertainment center than I ever thought possible. Plus, it's within staggering distance -- um, er, "walking" distance -- of my house.

The people vary. There are plenty of rednecks, as you might imagine, but it's not too hard to find cool people either. South Carolina is still backwards in some ways, namely "blue laws" that forbid sale of alcohol on Sunday and other asinine religious-based legislation. There's no vehicle emissions inspection in SC, which makes life easier for those of us who like to tweak their engines. Guess you gotta take the good w/ the bad.

All in all, it's a nice place to live. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer!