The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They didn't fire on Ft Sumter to protect slavery. The majority of the northern politicians were moderates that wanted to see the spread of slavery stemmed, but were willing to accept a 50/50 split on new states. The handful of abolitionists didn't have the power to put an end to slavery in all the new states, let alone the south.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:35 AM   #32
freshnesschronic
Professor

Slavery wasn't a prime cause for the civil war? Ay chihauhau. That in itself should be a new thread, and it probably already has been.

Also zippy it's just my opinion to ban the flag, that's all. I didn't mean to get anyone riled up.
edit: better yet, I didn't intend to get anyone riled up. But like Bruce said, everyone's offended by something. In my case its the confederate flag and I would like to see it banned. In zippy's case it's my opinion on the confederate flag being banned.

Last edited by freshnesschronic; 07-18-2007 at 04:53 AM. Reason: edited
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #33
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I personally don't want to ban the flag even though I don't agree with the heavy use it has today. It is not a government's job to ban symbols.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #34
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

This thread took a wrong turn somewhere. I thought it was about some girl with nice, muddy tits.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #35
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy
This thread took a wrong turn somewhere. I thought it was about some girl with nice, muddy tits.
We'd better be careful here. We don't want the government to ban those, either.
Uisge Beatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just trying to get the coverings off those nice muddy tits.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #37
Kumbulu
Kitten Whisperer

"Oh hey, you got a little something between you're teeth there. Looks like a wee stone."
Kumbulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:05 AM   #38
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Very true, Flint, very true. Slavery has and was everywhere.

But why should we embrace such savage and uncivilized ideals and philosophies? By still holding onto this confederate flag we hold onto the savage and uncivilized.

We are "post" modern man, and I'd rather not be associated with such a backwards way of life such as slavery. Especially when it brews up racism, hate, intolerance and violence which are such unsophisticated problems in society.
Biker rallies, civil war re-enactments, parades, the only time I've EVER witnessed violence regarding 'the confederate flag' is when someone was trying to keep someone else from flying/displaying it. Never once have I heard/witnessed/heard about someone saying "Yee haw, we got us a confedert flag, let's us have a lynchin'." (Don't let my sarcasm drip on you)
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #39
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Just an observation .....

The attitude from anyone.... "I don't like it, therefore it should be banned".... is just another example of why our overly political correct country is going to hell in a hurry. Just who the hell are you to determine what should be banned? Your imaginary personal feelings are more important than the history of our country?

The Confederate Flag ~
Over time the flag has acquired a wide range of meanings, some apparently contradicting others. Since the C.S.A. were fighting for independence during the American Civil War, much as the United States did during the U.S. War of Independence, the Confederate flag has always had connotations of rebellion, patriotism, self-determination, dissent, freedom, and liberty.

The flag traditionally represented the South's resistance to Northern political dominance.

It only became racially charged during the Civil Rights Movement, when fighting against desegregation suddenly became the focal point of that resistance.

These same people want to ban books they don't like, movies, music et cetera...The world should only be as they see it in their narrow minded, perfectly controlled world.
JuancoRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #40
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Michael Yon today

Quote:
Seeing "God is Great" written on the Iraqi flag might provoke some to protest "Why did we come here just to stand up a country who would write such things on their flag?" But I sat there in that meeting, which was completely civil and professional, and I thought about another flag, the one flying over South Carolina. Some people call that flag "heritage," while others call it "hateful," "painful" and "demeaning." And today in that meeting, I thought about the descendants of slaves who are now top military commanders in the American Army, and in that moment I knew that Iraq could make it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #41
Highball
Neophyte-in-training

Thumbs down

Since this thread took a wrong turn somewhere anyway, lets quit beating around the bush and spit out that wee stone.

In the beginning someone said “ban”, “Germany” and “opinion” in one sentence, the contradictory word they forgot to use was “free”. Being so we look forward not backward. The Stars and Bars was the official Confederate flag and it doesn’t mean anything more or less. Now it is a banner and it or the “rebel” battle flag can wave wherever it’s wanted, just not as high as our counties flag. Unless of course you show it disrespect, and we have a history of killing people who disrespect our flag.

We are an inherently free people, all people; and someday we will be that way, an inch at a time. No government, King or legislature gave us that freedom, and we didn’t win it in the Revolution. It is “self-evident” that we are “endowed” by the “laws of nature” as inherently free.

The Civil War was about principals, and the power to control them. The agricultural South was slowly dieing and loosing power, states, votes, electoral votes. The North, politically divided, still elected Lincoln over the South. Most Southern States could not muster enough individual votes to secede, but politically overrode the popular vote with their legislature. Kentucky and Maryland, although Southern could not muster enough support to secede. Much of Tennessee and other “Southern states” were lost because there just wasn’t enough rebellious support to hold on. Slavery was just an outside issue that turned on political control. Yes it was “states rights”, as opposed to “individual rights”, and our Constitution did give our Government the right to preserve those individual rights from all comers, including states.

Call it hat you will, slavery was part of that desire to have control over others, that is slowly lost it’s grip on humanity, again an inch at a time. To “ban” this or that is another effort to control others.

So then which is most important, individual rights or a minorities feelings?, even a Majorities feelings?

You know my vote.

Speaking of minorities, I’m a Nordic WASP, damn small minority these days, few and far between, but do you hear me complain? That’s not “white” cause I’m not white, and it’s not Caucasian, cause my genetic chain has never been anywhere near Caucasia.

Mostly I just want to be belly up at the bottom of that mud hole.

Next book please?
Highball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #42
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

This is a very interesting thread. I am curious, how many in this discussion are native southerners?

I do realize the discussion is more about history and freedom, but I am am just curious.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't think vBulletin has a filter to keep them out.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #44
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

American by birth ,
Southern by the grace of GOD !!!

You know what they say FNC ,
"Opinions are like Assholes ,
Everybody has one and they ALL STINK !!!"
Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #45
busterb
NSABFD

Think I'll just keep my to myself. Thank you