The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Schools of thought/perspective

There are approximately

people on this big blue marble.

Figure that a bunch of them are not cognizant enough to recognize anyone, except maybe mom and/or dad.... let's round to six billion.

Each of us has a unique experience in our memories. Each of our brains are unique. The consciousness that makes us special, has 6 billion fingerprints out there. No two are alike.

We were born, we had experiences; we grew, we developed relationships, we were taught by parents, we were taught things in school, we had family traditions that went back as far as anyone could remember. We shared what we knew. We shared how we felt about it.

Most of us can trace our genetic background to some similar place... xoB sent off for the kit that can tell you where your vast ancestors came from. For the most part, we share enough genetics that all humans have the same basic capacity to learn. You may think you come from Europe, or Asia, or Africa, wherever... we all have the basic capacity to learn and be unique human beings.

Over time, the human race has developed many tools which allow it to share information. At first, the trick was to publish the information in some form of writing. This allowed information to survive beyond the tales and biases of one or two generations. This allowed information to be collected.

Since then, the sharing of information has led to the progress of mankind. Each change in how we share information has been the front of huge leaps in progress. The invention of paper. The invention of the printing press. Telegraph. Telephony. Radio. Television.

The INTARWEBS

...which comes to where we are now, in 2007; in a remarkable exercise, we have presented each of the 6 Billion minds on the planet, if they are in reach of an Internet cafe, with equal access to pretty much all the facts we commonly know. OK, not all of them have access. But it's a new level we have come to, a vast and fascinating exercise.

To my great delight, it spreads to the Cellar; a place that started as only accessible to one city, is now accessible to at least the entire English-speaking world.

And yet we find ourselves in deep, deep disagreement. We are, in many circles, as separate as we might ever find ourselves. We develop websites for those who believe as we do, and where we can say the worst possible things about the people who believe other things!

How can this be?

(ed. note. probably part one of x.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

more to come?

.... so i shouldn't say something really rude and innapropriate about you right here then?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*chokes on beer*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Perhaps the impersonal nature of the internet affords one the opportunity to express or vent that disagreement without fear of real life repercussions.

My question, if I may - is Why?
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
And yet we find ourselves in deep, deep disagreement. We are, in many circles, as separate as we might ever find ourselves.
If I don't agree with everything the guy across the street says, why on Earth would anyone expect me to agree with everything someone across the state/country/ocean says?

We've had people leave the Cellar, most we don't even know about, because they were offended by someone (probably me) here. Their loss.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
Perhaps the impersonal nature of the internet affords one the opportunity to express or vent that disagreement without fear of real life repercussions.
If you ever read youtube comments, you can really get a perspective of how many people talk shit and you know that majority of them can't back what they say up.

Quote:
My question, if I may - is Why?
A feeling of empowerment is my guess. Everyone on the internet is on equal footing and people get to say what they really think because of a lack of social pressure to say what is "politically or sociology correct" (I mean that in a much wider sense than what it is usually used). It also allows you to say something without a fear of getting into a big fight with someone.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Ahhh, freedom to do whatever one wants without having to listen to ones conscience. No repercussions no laws no penalties or fines... Without any rules or guidelines we are reverting, getting more primitive and caring less. That is not good. Actually, that really sux.

FWIW, thats primarily why I left a few months ago - I didn't like what was happening nor the way I was reacting/posting.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
If you ever read youtube comments, you can really get a perspective of how many people talk shit and you know that majority of them can't back what they say up.
I don't do youtube, except some of what is posted here, nor do I do myspace or facebook or any of that sort - just not interested. So I really cannot relate to your reference firsthand, although I can imagine.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
DanaC

What tends to happen in online communities is they become to a large extent self regulating. I found that to be the case in online gaming communities. There were very strict ideas about what was and was not acceptable behaviour. Then there'd be a bunch of rebels who'd just want annoy everyone, but generally, there would be a more or less accepted rule set.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, in my case, wysiwyg. Much to my family's chagrin.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:01 AM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

If you look at it, it's really just a matter of motivation.

When I read something I agree with online, I nod my head and grunt assent. on a rare occasion, I'll post in agreement or, more likely to further the point.

But.....post some stupid assed opinion of yours like you have some kind of a clue, and I'll poke you right in the eye with a dirty finger.

makes perfect sense to me.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:06 AM   #12
freshnesschronic
Professor

The average YouTube post can be traced back to the beginning of time where the phrase was coined to degrade a fellow human:

"YOU ARE TEH SUX0RZ!!1"
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Now that's a matter of perspective. Some people know that there was time, much time, before "YOU ARE TEH SUX0RZ!!1"
Old 08-17-2007, 04:27 AM   #14
DanaC

lol fresh:P
Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #15
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
I don't do youtube, except some of what is posted here, nor do I do myspace or facebook or any of that sort - just not interested. So I really cannot relate to your reference firsthand, although I can imagine.
I don't post on youtube but I will read the comments every once in a while if I'm bored and need a laugh. It lowers your IQ a good ten notches or so but worth it in a depressing way.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote