The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 AM   #106
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadistSecret View Post
We're not really that violent, it's just oversensationalized in the media because that's what sells. It's never about the actual news anymore, it's about getting the all day coverage on something that makes everyone go "OH MY GOD/S!". News Companies, at the top levels, don't really care what is on the news, as long as it'll stop every dumbass between Maine and Hawaii so they can watch how 30-some odd people got shot today, or how some celebrity did this or that, all to make a quick buck. I suppose it's a bit cold of me to say that I really don't care about what happened in VA the other day, but I actually don't. I care most about what happens where *I* live.

It's all a big ratings contest, and that's why you see so much drugs, sex, violence, and Oprah on TV these days. All I see on the news are stories about the "war", or some sad sack story that's supposed to make you cry. They can wrap up their story on the 6:00 News, and be done with it, and that's what they should be doing, not bulletizing every little detail for an event that is happening halfway (For me, in Iowa, it's about half) across the country, because I really don't care. It doesn't change my life significantly that some guy came to a uni and shot 30 people.

So, don't go saying the USA is incredibly violent, just because that's what you see on TV. To hell with Big News corporations. There's a reason I read the small paper instead of the big one.
SEE I BEEN TRYIN TO TELL THIS GIRL BUT SHE DON'T LISTEN GAHHHHHHHHHH US NEWS IS ALL ABOUT DAT!
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 AM   #107
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Clearly you don't know the University of Illinois lowered it's in state tuition admission and significantly raised it's international admission. That is all about the money. So I have more intnat'l friends, DUH. And I like how your post I quoted above has absolutely no substance. It's a great tactic. I was almost thrown off.
Gee any chance of me interviewing your long list of international friends?
As far as posts with no substance, take a look at how you have reduced this discussion into an insult exchange. I have noticed this to be common among a few in here who claim to know what they are talking about.
duck_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #108
SadistSecret
Even If you choose to love me, I will always choose to fall.

I'm going to stop listening also if that caps lock key doesn't get turned off.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #109
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
We're not really that violent, it's just oversensationalized in the media because that's what sells. It's never about the actual news anymore, it's about getting the all day coverage on something that makes everyone go "OH MY GOD/S!". News Companies, at the top levels, don't really care what is on the news, as long as it'll stop every dumbass between Maine and Hawaii so they can watch how 30-some odd people got shot today, or how some celebrity did this or that, all to make a quick buck. I suppose it's a bit cold of me to say that I really don't care about what happened in VA the other day, but I actually don't. I care most about what happens where *I* live.

It's all a big ratings contest, and that's why you see so much drugs, sex, violence, and Oprah on TV these days. All I see on the news are stories about the "war", or some sad sack story that's supposed to make you cry. They can wrap up their story on the 6:00 News, and be done with it, and that's what they should be doing, not bulletizing every little detail for an event that is happening halfway (For me, in Iowa, it's about half) across the country, because I really don't care. It doesn't change my life significantly that some guy came to a uni and shot 30 people.

So, don't go saying the USA is incredibly violent, just because that's what you see on TV. To hell with Big News corporations. There's a reason I read the small paper instead of the big one.
So if I look up police statistics on crime then I can assume that is just sensationalism too?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #110
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Gee any chance of me interviewing your long list of international friends?
As far as posts with no substance, take a look at how you have reduced this discussion into an insult exchange. I have noticed this to be common among a few in here who claim to know what they are talking about.
Ikechukwu Valentino Ujari, Slobodan Radonovic, Yirang Wang. But I must be good at googling such ethnic names so quickly. Read Sadists post, she said stuff that I couldn't put my finger on but meant.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #111
SadistSecret

I wasn't trying to debunk actual police statistics, but I know a lot of what outsiders think of a place is by what they hear of it in the news and from other people. I'm jsut sick of the media making the US as a whole look bad.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #112
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Ikechukwu Valentino Ujari, Slobodan Radonovic, Yirang Wang. But I must be good at googling such ethnic names so quickly. Read Sadists post, she said stuff that I couldn't put my finger on but meant.
Ok can I interview them please? Since you like to say I'm full of bullshit then I will say the same of you until I get to have a discussion with your many international friends.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 AM   #113
SadistSecret

Oh, and just for the record, I have a penis.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:43 AM   #114
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
I wasn't trying to debunk actual police statistics, but I know a lot of what outsiders think of a place is by what they hear of it in the news and from other people. I'm jsut sick of the media making the US as a whole look bad.
Before I moved to america I had a completely different view. It wasn't until I lived here that I figured out just how bad the crime was.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:44 AM   #115
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Ok can I interview them please? Since you like to say I'm full of bullshit then I will say the same of you until I get to have a discussion with your many international friends.
Would you like my facebook for U of I? They are my facebook friends! And in exchange, can you get me the # of a peaceful distraught Triad who is bummed about his unthorough existence in Hong Kong?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:47 AM   #116
SadistSecret

I'm from a medium-ish size city in the midwest, so crime isn't that big of an issue where I'm at. I've also been in the military, and when you ask your fellow soldiers where they are from, you get kind of a window into a lot of the country. Things I've heard about some of the places my friends are from makes me not want to go there, ever.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:47 AM   #117
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Would you like my facebook for U of I? They are my facebook friends! And in exchange, can you get me the # of a peaceful distraught Triad who is bummed about his unthorough existence in Hong Kong?
Sure give me their emails and while you are at give me those violent crime stats of hong kong compared to your favorite american city that shows I'm full of bullshit and just "american bashing".
Old 04-18-2007, 02:49 AM   #118
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Me too.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #119
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Sure give me their emails and while you are at give me those violent crime stats of hong kong compared to your favorite american city that shows I'm full of bullshit and just "american bashing".
I'm not arguing Hong Kong. I'm just pretty offended you called America a "rampant" crime ridden country. You'd be offended if I called Hong Kong successful only because of the British. But I guess I can argue that as long as you can argue "rampant" violence in the states.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 AM   #120
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
I'm not arguing Hong Kong. I'm just pretty offended you called America a "rampant" crime ridden country. You'd be offended if I called Hong Kong successful only because of the British. But I guess I can argue that as long as you can argue "rampant" violence in the states.
Actually I would not be offended if you said HK was successful because of the british. Like it or not I believe hong kong would not be what it is today without the british.

I say american crime is rampant because it is compared to where I'm from. I'm not saying that to be insulting or to bash, I'm saying that because crime in any one of your cities is high in comparison. I believe it is a legitimate argument. And no I do not claim you are all thugs or criminals. And I do not claim america is the most violent nation in the world.