The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 08-24-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

I don't know noth'in bout birthen no hurricane

The sixth tropical depression just rolled of the African coast headed on a same track as Charley and Bonnie. (behind is anoter storm that appears to break up when it hits the Atlantic). Anyone taking bets? Will this become a hurricane and will it follow the same track into the Carribean Sea?

Daniell made a right turn at about this same spot and self destructed. Maybe that is why it is better to name then after girls?
Attached Images

Last edited by tw; 08-24-2004 at 11:20 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I'd need to see a few more maps...corresponding temperature maps, infared maps to show high and low pressure centers...before I made any bets. would wsi.com have those too? (I'm guessing that's where you got the image, seeing it's at the top there...)

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:45 AM   #3
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
I'd need to see a few more maps...
Moving satellite images of Atlantic
The eastern Pacific also had three potential hurricanes rolling about. One just turned away from Hawaii. A quick view suggests China may be due for another significant Typhoon:
The World satellite view
Old 08-25-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Go ahead, start your global warming rant.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
tw

We have a winner - maybe. The rainstorm from Africa last week grew into a Category 4 hurricane called Frances. It is predicted to strike SC sometime around Saturday - in about four days. However the predictions have been pushing it northward having originally been predicted to hit Cape Canaveral. And so we wonder if The Cellar may again be threatened by another environmental catastrophy:
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2004, 12:16 PM   #6
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
One of those little pud storm systems on the earlier map grew into T.S. Gaston, whose remains have, as you've probably heard by now, inundated part of the sotuheast, in NC and VA. Richmond VA got it especially bad, I-95 and I-64, the two main highway arteries through Richmond both closed by floodwater, along with the whole downtown area (Shockoe Bottom for those who know) under water in depths ranging from 2 to 8 to 12 feet. It's a total mess. And NOW we have about a week before Frances gets here. This is going to be an interesting Labor Day weekend. My parents made it through just fine though, so that's cool.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Can someone do a "delay the rain until Sunday or Monday" dance? I"m moving this weekend, and Frances is the last visitor I need.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:15 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Kitsune can do a Hurricane Safety Dance--will that do?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:22 PM   #9
Rakarin
Antagonistic Antagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Kitsune can do a Hurricane Safety Dance--will that do?
???
Oh, so Kitsune hasn't mentioned the fact that he once really honked off the lightning spirits, and was a storm *attractor*?

No offense, but I'd rather have someone else do the storm deflection dance.
Rakarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagney
Can someone do a "delay the rain until Sunday or Monday" dance? I"m moving this weekend, and Frances is the last visitor I need.
Every season should end with a thriller. After all that summer sinning, god must reek his vengence. It's a story line as old as the bible.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:58 PM   #11
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Well, it can end with a thriller, just as long as it starts once my electronics are safely in my new house

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:57 PM   #12
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Neat weather watching pages:

The Weather Matrix: (wow!)
http://www.weathermatrix.net/

National Hurricane Center-NOAA:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Hurricanes.net:
http://www.hurricanes.net/

Hurricane and Extreme Storm Impact Studies:
http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/

Hurricanes Theme Page:
http://www.cln.org/themes/hurricanes.html

Unisys Hurricane/Tropical Data:
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/

The Hurricane Watch Net:
http://www.hwn.org/

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:19 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakarin
???
Oh, so Kitsune hasn't mentioned the fact that he once really honked off the lightning spirits, and was a storm *attractor*?

No offense, but I'd rather have someone else do the storm deflection dance.
Strangely, no--Kitsune never mentioned that
In light of this new information, I withdraw my vote for Kitsune.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I made my peace with the electrical storms sometime ago! And my new hurricane dance, complete with rum, has done wonders so far.

In light of this new information, I withdraw my vote for Kitsune.

Yeah? Thats find by me. Of course, I wouldn't hold harsh feelings against me if I were you -- my friend that lives on the East coast of Florida is about to find out what happens when you don't pay me back in a timely manner.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Gosh Kit, unleashing a #5 hurricane on the Eastern Seaboard to punish one delinquent deadbeat, sounds....well....Biblical.