The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-25-2003, 01:08 PM   #451
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I meant to break out 2K yesterday, but forgot. Arguably Drummond and Cauty's best work...except maybe for "Doctorin' the Tardis."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:27 PM   #452
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That's on the CD cart in my car even as we speak ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:46 PM   #453
elSicomoro

Which one? 2K or The Timelords?

(5000!!!)
Old 08-25-2003, 01:54 PM   #454
dave

PHILADELPHIA, PA: Today marked sycamore's 5,000th post on local home-grown discussion board The Cellar (link). Approximately 4,996 posts were wasted with unintelligible gobbledygook while four contained useful information or thought-provoking opinion. Sycamore's plans for the future include improving his signal-to-noise ratio to something better than 1/1249 and continuing to be an ugly bastard. Netizens said they would be "looking forward to another 5,000 bandwidth wasting posts, which promise to accumulate more rapidly now that he's not stuck on post-limiting dialup".
Old 08-25-2003, 03:52 PM   #455
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Which one? 2K or The Timelords?

(5000!!!)
The latter.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:52 AM   #456
elSicomoro

2K--Fuck the Millenium: Too bad this didn't get much attention Stateside when it came out in late 1997...it was the perfect anthem to all the millenium hype. You could even buy "Fuck the Millenium" merchandise.

Metallica: Between their new record and their song-swapping vendetta, I've not been overly happy with Metallica the past few years. But it would seem that they want to give back to the fans...maybe it's an atonement of sorts.

When St. Anger came out in June, inside the CD was a passcode to get you into the "Metallica Vaults". I forgot all about it until yesterday, when I decided to listen to the CD again.

So, I logged into the vaults, and was pleasantly surprised to find mp3s available for 3 live shows...free for the downloading. And apparently they're going to switch up the stuff here and there. Holy shit...that's great! I now have 6 CDs worth of live Metallica, which sounds pretty good.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:20 AM   #457
dave

Yeah, for the $9.99 I spent on St. Anger, it sure was worth my money. The album itself isn't great (though I don't think it's bad either - it just has a couple of sucky songs), but they included the DVD of rehearsals and all the live MP3s... good stuff.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:46 PM   #458
elSicomoro

I'm still trying to get into it...it's never taken me this long to get into previous releases. I was cool to Load when it first came out, but now it's one of my favorites from them.

Nothing can touch Master of Puppets though...
Old 09-02-2003, 12:57 PM   #459
dave

I think Master of Puppets has better songs overall, but as an <b>album</b>, I will put The Black Album at #1. Load and Reload are okay, but they're really just collections of songs. And they both have some pretty shitty ones. For example, Ronnie on Load... I fucking hate that song with all my might. I will never listen to it again, as it is a horrid piece of fucking ass. I tried to get into it, but I just can't. As for Reload, what the fuck is up with track 3? I don't even remember the name, it sucks so bad. What the fuck were they thinking?

Ideally they would just have made one album and it would have had:

Ain't My Bitch
2x4
The House That Jack Built
Until it Sleeps
King Nothing
Bleeding Me
Cure
Wasted My Hate
Mama Said
Thorn Within
The Outlaw Torn
Fuel
The Memory Remains
The Unforgiven II
Carpe Diem Baby
Where The Wild Things Are
Prince Charming
Low Man's Lyric
Fixxxer

It could have been a double-disc set, and the rest of the songs could have been the shitty B-sides that I would have never had to buy or listen to. The only one that's listenable that I left off is Attitude, but it still isn't all that great.

Instead, you get shit like Ronnie and Devil's Dance (I just checked, that's track 3) and Slither and Bad Seed... what the fuck? Metallica is usually *good*, not *sucky*.

St. Anger really only has a few tracks that I think suck, and the worst is Invisible Kid. What a fucking gay track. Every fucking line rhymes. Great, a fourth grader took over lyrical duty. What a steaming turd. And Purify isn't that much better. Nix those two from the album and I'd like it a hell of a lot more. As it is, Sweet Amber and The Unnamed Feeling are the best songs (in my very not humble opinion) and they happen to be tracks 8 and 9, meaning I can just listen to those two, then pop it back 2 tracks and have another go. God.

Anyway, Master of Puppets obviously has great songs, but I think The Black Album is a better album. Even though Master of Puppets has better songs. It's hard to explain. But I don't think they'll top The Black Album as far as an actual album goes.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #460
elSicomoro

Seal--Seal IV or Seal or whatever the fuck he's gonna call it: The album is currently streaming on his site. Great record...not his best, but definitely great.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:34 PM   #461
elSicomoro

Ministry--Twitch: A rather underrated record, but quite good...a sign of things to come from Al and the gang (including the 9 million side projects).
Old 09-11-2003, 10:08 PM   #462
Kris
Drawn Druid

One of my favourites,

Days of the New - Green (aka 2)...
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:49 AM   #463
Scred
Wharf Rat

Brooklyn Sky Port (Departure)
- Visit Venus
Scred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:52 AM   #464
elSicomoro

Verve/Remixed2--Verve Records lets DJs have at their catalog for the 2nd time. Among the results: Gotan Project reworking Sarah Vaughan's "Whatever Lola Wants" and Dan the Automator reworking Willie Bobo's "Fried Neckbones and Some Home Fries". Heard about this on NPR Friday and just had to pick it up. Very cool...reminiscent of what US3 did with the Blue Note catalog in the 90s.

Johnny Cash--At San Quentin (The Complete 1969 Concert): After his death on Friday, I felt compelled to pick up one of his classics. Sony decided to include the whole concert, remaster it, and update the liner notes. And I picked it up for $9.

(Sony has apparently redone a good chunk of his catalog, along with creating various collections. And the CDs are generally cheap: $6-10. Good deal!)
Old 09-21-2003, 11:05 AM   #465
revilo
Neophyte-in-training

Made in Japan

Just discovered all the Beatle-sound-a-like stuff that's all the rage in Japan now. On the cd player at the moment I'm listening to a group
called the Treeberrys. Is it the Beatles or is it Memorex? Hard to tell. They
have all the energy of the "Please Please Me" era Fab Four and you can't tell they're Japanese-except if you look at their pictures on the cd case. Is this
a good thing? Not sure. Nice music, thought.
revilo is offline   Reply With Quote