The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-09-2002, 12:18 PM   #16
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by blase
Squirrel Fishing!

Squirrel Fishing!
Thanks....that's the site I was looking for when I found that other one.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:52 AM   #17
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

There used to be a white squirrel along Lear Lane in Boiling Springs PA that I would see when biking. it got hit by a car and a couple whpo used to feed it had it stuffed.

Another sighting was along Wesley Drive in Mechanicsburg, about 10 miles from the Boiling Springs location.

They are easy to see...
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:24 AM   #18
kisrael
Cantankerous Incantonator

Tufts University had an "albino" squirrel in the mid 1990s, I have a picture of it somewhere.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:10 AM   #19
warch
lurkin old school

I have a real life squirrel attack story:
Mpls, 1989.
I was single, living in an older apt, third floor walk up. My bedroom window sported a small air conditioner in the window next to my bed. Because the side extensions didnt quite fit the larger window, I had added a small board to the long side. One night I heard the scratching. It continued. I could just see a bit looking down through the window from on top of the air conditioner. No critter spotted, but a nest was being built. Whatever, I'm a renter, its cute, maybe baby birds. It worsened. Gnawing, chomping, major wood removal. Sawdust. It was coming through the board. I called the super, he was casual, he'd come see it soon. The nights were filled with chewing- 8 feet from my head. I would bang on the window. Yell and make vicious barking dog noises. From the window top I could see momma- no tail, just a stump- she lunged at my face, sharp, pointy teeth exposed, hitting the glass. I growled back. I applied more layers of board, the holes continued to grow. Running out of barrier materials I stuffed notebooks, tin foil, shoe boxes, an ice tray. No super. I went on the assault. Windex and 409 sprayed through the crumbling barrier. Die Die you Bitch. The squirrel would not be stopped. She stared at me with beady eyes, attacked the glass. Now came the squeaking baby noises. Naked writhing squealing rats.
Finally the laid-back super came. It had been 3 weeks. When he saw the state of my window, I believe he said, "Jesus Christ!" or perhaps it was "Holy shit!". I could see he had a new admiration for my plight. The plan was to remove the a/c and destroy the nest. But where was momma? She was not visible. He began to remove the layers of chewed barrier and became more frightened. He asked if I would please get something to hit mom with if she showed up, pissed. I had a baseball bat cocked and ready. It was going down. Piles of debris, shredded mail, the super's visa bill was recognizable. One bald baby, placed in a shoe box and wisked out to death. No guilt. The window side and sill were chewed away. When the pane was lowered, there was a hole to clear to the outside.

Many months later I was preparing to move to TX with my new spouse. My friend's kid, who was 3 at the time, asked out of the blue, if I was leaving because of the mean squirel, because that was just not right.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:11 PM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

That was beautiful.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:22 PM   #21
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
I would bang on the window. Yell and make vicious barking dog noises.
Wish I coulda seen that!!
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #22
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Squirrel pics-

I love to watch squirells, almost more than any other animal that is often photographed. Not too long ago, in the middle of spring I made a hobby out of photographing them. A drink in the other hand as I tip-toed out from behind trees to try to get the best shot possible. It is extremely difficult to do with a camera that only offers a 2x zoom. But anyways, I did manage to spill a few drinks in the process but I tell you that it was anything but wasted time even if none of the pictures were worth a damn in the end. I wonder what sort of camera was used to take such wonderfully focused pictures, and drink to them as well, CHEERS!!
j03L10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:19 PM   #23
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I walked through one of my friends campuses last weekend and I swear they had the biggest squirrels I had ever seen. The things were the size of a small dog. now that would be something to have clawing at your window. Almost as scary as seeing warch "yell and make vicious barking noises."
Old 11-12-2002, 12:27 PM   #24
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

You sure it wasn' a dwarf?

My next door neighbor has one, a female that has just delivered a litter of dwarfs. The mother looks just like Droopy from Tom and Jerry and her nipples scrape against the ground as she walks. I don't see how she does it as painful as it looks- but it musn't really be that bad. Hey wow, look at all of this milk!
j03L10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:29 PM   #25
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Almost as scary as seeing warch "yell and make vicious barking noises."
Beware the creature that interupts my REM state.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:09 PM   #26
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The white squirrels are also prevalent hereabouts ... they are a fairly common sight on the Norristown State Hospital property -- I see them when they let me out for walks . And there's a black squirrel that comes to raid my bird feeder.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:57 AM   #27
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

Princeton New Jersey has a whole group of black squirrels. I saw them there years ago, and a friend has seen them on the Princeton campus recently.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:03 AM   #28
Nic Name
retired

Click on the image ... sqwerls!
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:04 PM   #29
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

Amusing!

The chatter around Princeton is that the black squirrels are a result of radioactivity leaking from an experiment somewhere in the Physics Department and causing genetic havoc.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:22 PM   #30
warch
lurkin old school

My alma mater Kent State University has black squirrels and this is the official story:

ten rare black squirrels were imported from Canada in February 1961 by Larry Woodell, superintendent of grounds, and M. W. Staples, a
retired executive of the Davey Tree Expert Company. When first released, the large, black-spiked squirrels were frequently mistaken for
skunks. Today they own the campus. The Black Squirrel Festival started in 1981 as a day-long event held on the Student Center Plaza to introduce new students to campus and community organizations. Now it features barbeques, live bands, and local artisans.

Here is the magnet you can buy while overpaying for your books:

Last edited by warch; 08-31-2007 at 11:56 AM.