The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

The Optimist

Monday at work I was accused* of being an optimist. It kind of struck me, how has this happened? If you are a stalker or truly bored, you could grind through my older posts here. I don't think that guy was an optimist. I always think of myself as a cynic, but frankly at work I am an optimist. I work with 3 and 4 year old kids, some from shockingly tough backgrounds, most just poor. To me these kids represent potential, they are what could be. That makes me optimistic. I've been working on my head. I look for and give weight to the good things I find. Another piece of the puzzle is that I am rapidly becoming apolitical. There is that one class of individual guaranteed toresuscitate the cynic, so I'm not going to engage them much. I may check in with the election, but I'm gonna keep my distance. It isn't healthy to get caught up in stuff that I can't impact and won't find uplifting. Instead, I'm going to teach 3 and 4 year olds not to hit and to enjoy school. I'll change their world.

*in a positive way
Old 12-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

About 8 years ago I was called into a meeting with my immediate boss. She ran an idea past me and asked what I thought. I gave my opinion, she thanked me and then I had to ask, "Why me?" To be brutally honest I expected a compliment - I was hard working, I was intelligent, I had an analytical mind. She told me I was the person on the team who most resented change and I was also the most articulate. A slap down and a compliment in one.

She deserved to be in her position, she had me in one.

I'm still working with my negativity in my private life, but I think I conquered it in a work situation now. I never realised how saying whatever came into my head would identify something I didn't even know about myself to people who didn't even know me that well.

Pleased to hear you are an optimist Griff. Take additional comfort in the fact there are people out there trying to emulate what you have naturally.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
LJ
i am myself

and be a simplllllllle ......kind a man.

try to ignore the less than stellar guitar work...and focus instead on the power in this young girl's voice. ...speaking of potential.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Sundae. Part of my thought is this, it isn't natural. I've had to deal with a lot of my shit to get to this point. We can, up to a point, over-come or at least deal with the twin cards of biology and up bringing (call it niche finding). These kids are starting out where I started out. We can do it.

LJ for a newbie you just get it. chills man
Old 12-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

When I was younger, a friend's mom said I was an idealist. This means I'm not a realist. Fair enough. i had very idealistic views of the world. However, when an idealist realizes that her ideals are probably not realistic, does she become a realist? Some do. Some become cynics. I hate being cynical. I'm going to try to be more optimistic; I'm working on it.

Griff, what a neat person you are, seriously. Those kids are very lucky to have you in their lives. One thing I've always tried to believe (before I became really cynical) is that no, not everyone has been given the sight to make it out of a bad situation. People would say "they should be able to make their lives better, get out of poverty, out of the crime-ridden neighborhoods...it's their choice" and point to many who have done so. I always said "because they had someone in their life, one person, who showed them the way." Not everyone has that. You are that person to many.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Griff, you are a good egg.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
When I was younger, a friend's mom said I was an idealist. This means I'm not a realist. Fair enough. i had very idealistic views of the world. However, when an idealist realizes that her ideals are probably not realistic, does she become a realist?
In an ideal world, yes.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Master_At_Blubbering
Jotter of Notes

ALTHOUGH SOME PEOPLE HAVE CALLED ME OLD FASHIONED I AM OF THE MINDSET THAT PEOPLE WHO TEND TO BE OPTIMISTIC MORE OFTEN ARE INHERENTLY GOOD PEOPLE. THOSE WHO ARE USUALLY PESSIMISTIC TEND TO BECOME BAD PEOPLE. I THINK THAT AT YOUR CORE YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON WHO NEEDS TO VENT AS ALL PEOPLE DO

I AM SURE THAT YOUR MANIFESTATION OF OPTIMISM AT WORK CAN BE CONSIDERED NOTHING BUT A GOOD SIGN

SUPER KARATE ADVICE POST

BIIIITCH
Master_At_Blubbering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_At_Blubbering View Post
ALTHOUGH SOME PEOPLE HAVE CALLED ME OLD FASHIONED I AM OF THE MINDSET THAT PEOPLE WHO TEND TO BE OPTIMISTIC MORE OFTEN ARE INHERENTLY GOOD PEOPLE. THOSE WHO ARE USUALLY PESSIMISTIC TEND TO BECOME BAD PEOPLE. I THINK THAT AT YOUR CORE YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON WHO NEEDS TO VENT AS ALL PEOPLE DO
This makes some sense.

Optimists and Pessimists look at the world differently, one tending to see the more positive effects while the other more negative effects respectably, so it makes sense that someone who sees mainly good things in life will be influenced by that and try to be good while others who see mainly bad things in life will act upon that as well and usually not see the point of being good because they see the world as bad already.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Another piece of the puzzle is that I am rapidly becoming apolitical. There is that one class of individual guaranteed toresuscitate the cynic, so I'm not going to engage them much. I may check in with the election, but I'm gonna keep my distance. It isn't healthy to get caught up in stuff that I can't impact and won't find uplifting.
I can relate Griff.

Eliminate the needless negative stress in your life and live a little. Shift the focus to something outside of yourself and the whole world changes.

And while you're at it.....drink a bit more. A happy drunk makes more friends.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I'm an optimist.
I'm very optimistic that Master_At_Blubbering will find the caps lock key very soon and stop shouting all his posts at us.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

No way - I'll take that action.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
snip......while others who see mainly bad things in life will act upon that as well and usually not see the point of being good because they see the world as bad already.
Nonsense, pessimists would not be pessimists, if they didn't know the value of being good. They are guarded, cautious and more careful, not bad.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:29 AM   #15
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I think I could best be described as a realist with mild optimistic and weak (classical or pseudo) cynical tendencies, with occasional bouts of idealism.

Optimism can be a shield or a blinder. You can use it to protect yourself so you can continue to do good, difficult work or you can use it hide dark realities from yourself. The shield vs. blinder outcome is probably somewhat based on how strongly idealistic or realistic one is.

If you're optimistic and realistic, your optimism will likely be a strength, whereas optimistim and idealism will likely blind you to the places where ideals don't and can't match reality.

Also, I think these dimensions of mind-frame are influenced by context and personal proclivity. Maybe they can be thought of as two functionally related axes that color a person's cognitive frame.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote