The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 06-23-2002, 04:22 AM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Slothfulness

I'm incredibly lazy. I used to not be that way, but it seems to have gotten worse in the past 3 years...probably since I left St. Louis.

There are a lot of times when I just don't feel like doing anything. I just feel like laying around watching TV or playing on the computer. And there are so many things I could or should be doing--cleaning the house, looking for a permanent job, walking, going for a drive.

I think part of it is that I live too much for the moment and don't give too much of a look to the future these days. And that's not cool. I'm going to be 27 in October, I don't have a permanent job, no health insurance, no savings, a ton of debt, and a fiance who will probably need a new kidney in the next 5 years.

There ARE things I want to do--buy my first new car, buy a new computer, pay down my debt more than I do now, and above all...find a job that pays well and gives me great satisfaction.

When it comes to the job front, I think that I'm one of those folks who have "lost their way." I've bounced through 2 permanent jobs, and 4 temporary assignments in the 21 months we've lived in Philadelphia. In the year I lived in DC, I had one job. In the 23 years I lived in St. Louis, I had 7 jobs--3 of them lasted over a year, one of them for 4 1/2 years. The only reason I officially left my last job after 2 1/2 years was because I moved to DC.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to sit down and really figure out what it is that I want to do in a job. But then I put it off for whatever reason. But I was thinking earlier this week...in the last 21 months, I've been unemployed a total of 129 days. That's over 4 months...and that is just RIDICULOUS! I'm ashamed of it...it makes me look like a lazy bastard or a bad employee.

And that's not really the case at all. When I've quit my previous jobs, it's been generally because I am extremely unhappy with my job, have tried all possible ways to make myself happy, and have tried to resolve any issues with management to no avail. Add to this over-confidence: "Ah, I'll have a new job in no time!" And it never happens that way.

Laziness does come into play as my unemployment time drags on: I could easily call several agencies, with whom I am registered, yet I only stick with one or two, not even bothering to call anyone else. Then, I don't feel like working.

But from here on out, I vow to be more vigilant in job hunting...to be thoughtful in sending out my resume, and to not be so laissez-faire in my attitude. After all, my life DOES depend on it.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:51 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Its hard to break out of those kinds of cycles. I was going in that direction when my girls were little and I was spending a lot of time cooped up, since my youngest has always been a fussy needy child who doesn't travel well. One of my friends is just the opposite a tri-athelete and just can't stop moving. I made a pledge to myself and him that I'd cycle with him twice a week. This prevented me from blowing off regular exercise by linking it to blowing off a buddy. It worked pretty well but required a little patience from him since I was so fat and couldn't keep up.

The other thing I did isn't for everyone. I decided that it made no sense for me to substitute teach with my kids in daycare. After considering all my options the seed of my house project sprouted. How could I not work for someone else but still add to my families economic stability? So now we're doing the no mortgage owner-builder thing. More folks are capable of doing this than know it but it is also a huge relationship test. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that you need something that is yours to work on no matter what your employment situation is. Objects in motion and all that. Maybe your music or something else you've been mulling over.

signed Dear Abby
Old 06-28-2002, 06:28 PM   #3
elSicomoro

Griff, you always have excellent words of wisdom.

One thing I have kicked the laziness bug on is my walking. I've been getting a good 30 minutes in every day for the past couple of weeks, and hope to keep it that way.

I hit the job boards pretty good earlier this week...probably posted to about 4-6 jobs. Actually called a couple of agencies today...almost had a new job...almost. Sat down earlier this week and figured out how much it would cost me to commute to North Jersey, NYC, or Delaware. Wilmington is pretty affordable, but I'd have to pad my salary to work in NYC (by about $4000 a year). Both places would be about a 2 hour commute...I think I'll pass. I may stick with places like Trenton, Princeton, or New Brunswick. Of course, a job in the city or Lower Bucks would be nice.

Although the house is cluttered, it is clean.

The music thing is always a fantasy I entertain, but I know that it is unlikely to happen. I haven't felt inspired to write much these days, but you never know.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:11 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks Bud, reminds me of a song

DEAR ABBY by John Prine

Dear Abby, Dear Abby, my feet are too long. My hair's falling out and my rights are all wrong.
My friends they all tell me, they're no friends at all Won't you write me a letter, won't you give me a call,
Signed Bewildered

Bewildered, Bewildered you have no complaint. You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't. So listen up buster listen up good. Stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood.

Dear Abby, Dear Abby, my fountain pen leaksMy wife hollers at me and my kids are all freaks. Every side I get up on is the wrong side of bed, if it weren't so expensive I'd wish I were dead,
Signed Unhappy

Unhappy, Unhappy, you have no complaint ...You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't. So listen up buster listen up goodStop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood.

Dear Abby, Dear Abby, you won't believe this, but my stomach makes noises whenever I kiss. My girlfriend tells me it's all in my head, but my stomach tells me to write you instead,
Signed Noisemaker.

Noisemaker, Noisemaker, you have no complaint ...You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't. So listen up buster listen up good, stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood

Dear Abby, Dear Abby, well I never thought, that me and my girlfriend would ever get caught. We were sittin' in the back seat just shootin' the breeze, with her hair up in curlers and her pants to her knees,
Signed Just Married

Just Married, Just Married, you have no complaint ...You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't. So listen up buster and listen up good, Stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood, Signed Dear Abby
Old 07-19-2002, 07:09 PM   #5
elSicomoro

Hey Griff...the bike ride is less than a month away...you getting ready for it...or being a sloth?
Old 07-24-2002, 05:16 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Just got back from "slothing" about the shore, must get exercise, eliminate excess...
Old 07-24-2002, 05:59 PM   #7
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Just got back from "slothing" about the shore, must get exercise, eliminate excess...
Thanks for ruining it for me. If I can't trust in you, then who?
Old 07-25-2002, 06:36 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Lets just think of it as a planned break in training to allow the body to rebuild, shall we? Of course, I did ding my ankle kicking the futball around with one of my old mates and poison myself with Bass.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:39 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Well I hope you're happy. Your application of guilt got me out for a 2 hour training ride, prick.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:36 PM   #10
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Well I hope you're happy. Your application of guilt got me out for a 2 hour training ride, prick.
Glad to help out any way I can.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:51 PM   #11
elSicomoro

Alright Griff...less than a week away. You ready?
Old 08-13-2002, 06:06 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

I'm there bro. I got a couple rides in while I was in New Hampshire and I'll do something light near the end of the week. Its gonna be brutal.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:25 PM   #13
Ra
Resident-in-Training

I'm about the same age as you Sycamore and am feeling the exact same way. Could it be something that people feel when they get around that age? I think its kind of a realization that we're growing up, finally. I mean, you could have the jobs the kids the mortgage but still have that youthful exuberance and feeling that you're going to live forever. And then it sinks in that you're going to grow old and not live forever, and everything's not going to be alright. Maybe, its just me.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:21 PM   #14
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Ra
I'm about the same age as you Sycamore and am feeling the exact same way. Could it be something that people feel when they get around that age? I think its kind of a realization that we're growing up, finally. I mean, you could have the jobs the kids the mortgage but still have that youthful exuberance and feeling that you're going to live forever. And then it sinks in that you're going to grow old and not live forever, and everything's not going to be alright. Maybe, its just me.
Great post Ra...welcome aboard.

Now granted, I think I'm a pretty mature and responsible adult...moreso than many of my twenty-something counterparts. Yet when I think about the fact that I'm "grown up," it depresses me a bit. I dunno...spirit-wise, I still feel 18. And I know that (hopefully) I have a lot of time left on this earth to accomplish my goals. And of course, I'm still incredibly young...I just have less time to conquer the world, so I'm trying to fix that issue.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:20 PM   #15
Ra
Resident-in-Training

I'm responsible compared to the people I hang out with. And I'm 26 and feel like I'm 19. I think thats what the problem is, I'm supposed to feel like I'm 26. I don't know about you, but I can't do the things I could do when I was 19.

And thats exactly it to about conquering the world. Only it took me until now to realize that I am supposed to contribute something to the world, to make some kind of change.