The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

BRING IT ON!

Today
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers through early afternoon...then snow late in the day. Accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Highs in the upper 20s. Light winds. Chance of snow 80 percent.

Tonight
Snow. Accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Lows in the upper teens. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 80 percent.

Saturday
Snow. Total accumulation 10 to 18 inches. Colder with highs in the lower 20s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 80 percent.

Snow fence up. Break out the skis baby!
Old 12-05-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Here in the heart of the Patapsco Drainage Basin, we've already got about 3 or 4 inches on the ground.

Schools are closed.

Morons are making the seasonal (re)discovery that owning an SUV does not exempt you from Newtonian mechanics.

There is no milk or toilet paper to be found in the stores as people prepare for the inevitable snow-induced milk famines that strike the mid-Atlantic area every winter.

The wrath of the Almighty is upon the land. Abandon your cars now.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:06 AM   #3
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Bah....snow sucks.

I loved snow till I had to drive in it.

But here is the catch. I personaly DO NOT MIND driving in the snow.

What I hate is the people who INSIST on driving 15mph on a CLEARED road....because it's snowing.

I used to live in Michigan where ignored the snow as they drove 80mph and guess what. It was fine!

People do the same thing in Russia.

Snow is NOT the end of the world. You can EASILY drive FAST in the snow as long as you adjust your turn preperation and braking distance.

No I do not have an SUV. I drive a giganting land yaht known as the Chrysler Concorde, it has a the nifty traction control but thats about the only "snow handling" feature it has.

I'm so pissed...took me an 1.5 hours to get to work...wtf..usualy it only takes 30 min.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:19 AM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I don't suppose you're in the DC area? People here stop in the middle of the road and walk if the clouds look threatening.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #5
FileNotFound

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
I don't suppose you're in the DC area? People here stop in the middle of the road and walk if the clouds look threatening.
Suburbs outside of Philly.

You know what I really hate. Cars with warning lights on. Driving.

For example today I see this minivan in the right lane, and to me it looks like he wants to change into the left lane...ok fine...I make room...wait...wait...wtf? Oh it's his warning lights...whatever.

10 minutes later.

Guy with warning lights cuts me off..in the damn snow while we're comming up to a stop sign...gha.

Not to mention idiots who don't signal...at all.

Last edited by FileNotFound; 12-05-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy

There is no milk or toilet paper to be found in the stores as people prepare for the inevitable snow-induced milk famines that strike the mid-Atlantic area every winter.
Ted Kennedy (D,Tax.) These are the times when I thank God we have a Federal Government. A study, sure we need to fund a study, but first we must give the people relief. Noone could have expected snow in winter, noone. (top that off for me baby, thanks) I want blankets on those cows, I want the national guard activated to fly milk to the schools and cities, Hillary would you like to speak to the children?
Old 12-05-2003, 09:28 AM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

where are you griff? I want all of that snow.....last i heard for philly area it was 2 passes of 2-6 inches fri and sat with that pink wintry mix to break it up....sloppy......snow fence? skis? can i come stay with you? i fucking love the snow.......

Quote:
the Chrysler Concorde, it has a the nifty traction control but thats about the only "snow handling" feature it has.
that only works up to 35mph, you know....it engages the abs if you spin the wheels on acceleration. Come trade that old man car in on a Jeep Grand Cherokee......Or a liberty.....I just took one of these:..... for a demo.....i really like it
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:37 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Northern Tier of PA, close to Binghamton, NY. We are on the edge between good snow and great snow... nothing yet, but they closed school early in Susquehanna and Blue Ridge Districts.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 AM   #9
FileNotFound

Quote:
that only works up to 35mph, you know....it engages the abs if you spin the wheels on acceleration.
I know, but thats only when you really need it.

It helps get the whale of a car moving in the snow. I used to drive a not exactly stock Nissan Maxima (92) and that car was a nightmare in the snow because touching the gas made the wheels spin through. The only way to get it moving was to just hold down the gas as it spat out gobs of snow and wait for the wheels to grip as the car rattled somewhat sideways.

Once you're moving at 20mph or so it's only the tires that matter.

I have a brand new set of Bridgestone Touranzas and I love them. Grip way better than the shit Eagle GA.

Frankly, I think the liberty is hideous. I like the Honda CRV (don't kill me for the jap car love), it's light, awd, has a fairly quick pickup till about 45...then it's dog slow).

By the way...I LOVE the old man car look. Cops tend to ignore me...or not give me tickets...umm...probably shouldn't admit to this but I got pulled over doing 80 in a 35 last Friday...no ticket..(2am empty straight road that I've been driving on for 4 years..)

Plus in reality the Concorde isn't too bad as far as performance goes...gas usage sucks though....city rush hour = 15mpg. Gha...
Old 12-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

right now in elverson, pa
Attached Images

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #11
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Mmm... its gonna be pretty cold here, today. High of 76F. My evening swim might not happen.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:02 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Lovely home LJ.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:07 AM   #13
breakingnews
Q_Q

Considering the 1.5-2 inches of snow currently on my car, who wants to bet that I won't be getting on a plane today at 4:30 to go to Atlanta?

I know the snow is supposed to stop, but it doesn't look like that ... and delays are abound at Newark and Philly ...
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:28 PM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I bagged work today because at 1 hour into my normal 30-minute commute, I was less then halfway there (City Ave was a parking lot), and I called and determined it wasn't worth further grief.

Instead I helped rustle my kids to the dentist. Fun fun fun. (We're still trying to figure out how my son acquired 3 cavities at the age of 4. And yes, we do brush his teeth regularly.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:44 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Does he drink juice?