The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #46
Pie
Gone and done

Here's something weird I found on Wikipedia:

Quote:
Hydranencephaly
This is a rare condition in which the cerebral hemispheres are absent and replaced by sacs filled with cerebrospinal fluid. Usually the cerebellum and brainstem are formed normally. An infant with hydranencephaly may appear normal at birth. The infant's head size and spontaneous reflexes such as sucking, swallowing, crying, and moving the arms and legs may all seem normal.
[...]
Diagnosis may be delayed for several months because the infant's early behavior appears to be relatively normal. [...]
The outlook for children with hydranencephaly is poor. Death generally occurs before age 1.
How strange!
I personally think the parents are off their rocker -- there's nothing left but the brainstem. Besides which, they have no rights at all in this case. When you get married, your legal next-of-kin is your spouse. That's just one of the many legal changes that you've just entered into.
If you don't trust your spouse, file a medical power of attorney. I know a person who did just that, and given his mother the poa because his wife would have tried to keep him alive.
Terri didn't get a medical power of attorney. Therefore her husband gets to make all the calls. Period.

- Pie
Old 03-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #47
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Besides which, they have no rights at all in this case.

Isn't it amazing that a case that is so simple and should require no debate at all has gained the attention of both Congress and the President and caused them to take actions so wildly unconstitutional that the forefathers are spinning in their graves?

New term I learned from this event: "Culture of Life", which deems all human life to be blessed, sacred, and protected above all laws.

...except capital punishment, of course.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #48
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #49
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Bush is an idiot.

The legislature is a bunch of whores.

Bush is using his mandate, and a republican lead house and senate, to do what he wants because he doesn't have to worry about getting reelected.

Let's see what the SCOTUS does with this one. I don't see it lasting very long. Just long enough to hurt somebody.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #50
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The husband's motives are NOT suspect. He's the only one whose motives have been consistantly pure. He's turned down millions of dollars. He hasn't remarried. He has fought in 13 court cases over 15 years when it would be easier just to walk away, but instead of doing what was easy, he did what his wife wanted him to do. He fought to allow her body to die.

Terri Shiavo the person died 15 years ago. It's about time people stop meddling and let her body die too. The motives of her husband are above reproach. He's an honorable and decent man trying to do the right thing for his wife by carrying out her last wish.

It's got to be horrible to lose a child, but it's time her parents admit she was already lost, and move on.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 AM   #51
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There's more and more information that's coming out that makes Michael Schiavo look worse and worse. Is he really? I don't know. I end up missing lot of good info and interviews because of my work schedule. Did anyone see the one that was supposed to have run tonight, with a doctor who treated Terri fairly early on when she was being provided rehab? According to what I heard (from a late night talk radio listener, so I'm skeptical of the source as a matter of course) Terri was able to verbalize, and was ambulatory to some degree, although she needed to hang onto stuff to get from point A to point B. The therapy stopped when the husband got the settlement from the malpractice suit, Terri was moved into a nursing home and the attempts at rehab were discontinued.

I'm also a bit surprised that nobody's mentioned the best known "right to die" case up to this point, that of Karen Ann Quinlan. Many people remember the fight to terminate her life support. Karen Ann was on a respirator as a consequence of her taking drugs and drinking alcohol at a party. She lapsed into a coma, and was put on a respirator. Her parents fought a long court battle to have her removed from the respirator. What many people don't remember, is that she didn't die. She remained alive, but in a persistent vegetative state for another 10 years until she died of pneumonia.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #52
404Error
Lecturer

The difference being that Karen's parents were fighting to let her die, Terri's parents want keep her alive. Also I think Karen would have died a lot quicker if they had stopped feeding her like they want to do with Terri.

My personal opinion on this case is that Karen's parents should be allowed to do as they wish with their daughter. The husband seems to have moved on with his life, he got a settlement and has a girlfriend and kids now. I think biological bonds should be considered stronger that marital bonds anyway.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #53
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Clearly you get along with your parents.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #54
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error
I think biological bonds should be considered stronger that marital bonds anyway.

Which parent? Mine are reduced to spitting and name calling when in proximity, would they have to agree? Or would my husband be the deciding vote anyway?

Has everyone updated their will?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #55
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

First, my sympathies to Michael and Terri, and the Schindlers in this very personal tragedy. Regardless of which "side" I am "on", or you are "on", what has happened is very sad. I will continue to pray for all of them.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #56
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error
I think biological bonds should be considered stronger that marital bonds anyway.
Really. So you believe that, in general, the wishes of one or both parents should overrule the wishes of the spouse? Or maybe the spouse should be a tiebreaker if the parents disagree? Or perhaps it should take both parents in agreement to outvote the spouse?
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-22-2005, 10:44 AM   #57
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Really. So you believe that, in general, the wishes of one or both parents should overrule the wishes of the spouse? Or maybe the spouse should be a tiebreaker if the parents disagree? Or perhaps it should take both parents in agreement to outvote the spouse?

It doesn't really matter which anyone thinks is stronger. Legally, marriage makes your next-of-kin your spouse. As for Terri, this was already resolved in an earlier court case in which it her parents agreed that her husband had custody of Terri.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #58
lizthefiz
Resident-in-Training

I have seen Michael Schiavo on TV over the past 2 weeks being interviewed on several shows. He seems to be selectively espousing his marriage vows. First he says that he vowed to be with Terri in sickness and in health. What happened to forsaking all others. I guess that does not apply to his current fiance.

I am troubled why someone would allow the parents of a disabled person to suffer thru this. Many people have said it is because Schiavo wants to be married again in the Catholic Church. Well the last time a relative of mine tried to get married in our local church to the mother of his out of wedlock child it was a no-go. I doubt that is Mr. Schiavo's motivation.

One last item. I think one of his kids is about 9 years old. What does he tell that child about constantly being on the news regarding his real wife. That poor kid must get tormented in school.
lizthefiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #59
Happy Monkey

Casting aspersions on his moral character is just as irrelevant as whether you think a parent's bond is stronger than a spouse's. The fact of the matter is that the spouse is the next of kin, and the parents' lawsuits have been frivolous (in the legal sense of the word, I'm sure they were perfectly heartfelt). There is no legal basis at all for overturning his decision, and even less for bumping it up to federal court.

That's the real scandal here. Congress just decided they didn't like a whole string of court decisions, so they wrote a law that said, "Try this case again, and pretend that the other verdicts didn't happen".
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #60
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I am troubled why someone would allow the parents of a disabled person to suffer thru this.

I'm troubled as to why the parents are doing this to themselves.