The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-31-2005, 11:10 AM   #271
Brett's Honey
whatever

Finally - may Terri rest in peace (not anytime soon though if God allows television up there). I thought I had heard every disagreement between these two families, but I'd missed one until this morning. Cremation vs. burial? Apparently they're not going to get to have that fight since it sounds like Michael is being allowed to make his wife's final arrangements. Has this argument been going on for some time too?
Hearing it made lots of thoughts cross my mind - (ten years from now some nurse or family member comes along again with new accusations against Michael and the fight to exhume the body begins....) I don't know if cremation was always his (their?) plan, but I can see why it may be the best way for it to finally be really the end of this 15 year ordeal for Michael Schaivo.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #272
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by vsp
Not a chance in hell. The judiciary will be _the_ target of the right wing for the next couple of years. Expect to hear about "unconstitutional" Senate filibusters, "activist judges," "judicial tyranny," floods of individual anecdotes intended to demonstrate that the entire judiciary is out of control, and such from every conservative TV talking head, newspaper pundit and radio jock.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Sorry, poor wording on my part - I know they won't drop their attack on the judicial system, just the attempt to use the Schaivo case in that attack.
I guess I was a bit optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Released by Tom DeLay
"Mrs. Schiavo's death is a moral poverty and a legal tragedy. This loss happened because our legal system did not protect the people who need protection most, and that will change. The time will come for the men responsible for this to answer for their behavior, but not today. Today we grieve, we pray, and we hope to God this fate never befalls another. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Schindlers and with Terri Schiavo's friends in this time of deep sorrow."
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:04 PM   #273
lizthefiz
Resident-in-Training

I am just curious as to why Terri was eligible for Medicaid. Does anyone know why? I thought if you were married and your spouse had visible means of support you would be responsible for the bulk of expenses. Or, would have to re-imburse Medicaid.

Michael Schiavo is alleged to have received $1 million of a $2+ million settlement Terri got. But I have also heard that he got only $300,000. I don't know who to believe but I can't imagine that Michael Schiavo is in this for the money.

However, why would Terri not be covered by Michael's medical insurance?

Any thoughts?
lizthefiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:11 PM   #274
Happy Monkey

Michael got $300000 and $700000 was put in a fund for her treatment. Michael's attempts to treat her ate up the $700000, and his legal bills ate up the $300000. I'm not sure about his health insurance/Medicaid situation, though.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-31-2005, 02:34 PM   #275
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Finally - may Terri rest in peace

Enter: wrongful death charges.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:53 PM   #276
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett's Honey
I don't know if cremation was always his (their?) plan, but I can see why it may be the best way for it to finally be really the end of this 15 year ordeal for Michael Schaivo.
I heard a rumor at work that the Schindlers' lawyers are going to argue against cremation because the parents see resurrection as a "potential" future treatment.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #277
lookout123
changed his status to single

more likely it is because they are devout catholics (or at least they play them on tv). i think that catholics believe that the cremated will be left without a body when Christ returns and that would be a bad thing. i'm thinking that if Christ really is the Lord of all and everything in the Bible is true - He can probably get around the not having a body bit. IMO
Old 03-31-2005, 03:57 PM   #278
Happy Monkey

They shouldn't worry. God can uncremate her if He wishes.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-31-2005, 04:07 PM   #279
breakingnews
Q_Q

I was just kidding about that, btw.

Just gotta poke fun at the parents' repeated insistence that someday some sort of treatment will restore Terri's brain, life, spirit, soul and what have you.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:03 PM   #280
Kitsune
still eats dirt

This just in: Terri's death has caused the Pope's health to suddenly decline. God is very unhappy, today.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:35 PM   #281
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
(lookout123] i think that catholics believe that the cremated will be left without a body when Christ returns and that would be a bad thing.
[/quote]My husband and I were discussing that belief yesterday. My problem with that is that some people (World Trade Center victims for example) are left without a body due to circumstances beyond their control, pretty much cremated against their wishes. And I don't think God would hold that against them...
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:55 PM   #282
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I would argue that evolution is neither efficient nor inefficient but merely an unstable chaotic system that tends toward an equilibrium that it will never reach. Weather changes, random mutations that continue to occur at a relatively constant rate, climate changes, terrestial catastrophes (volcanoes/earthquakes/floods, polarity shifts, etc.), extraterrestial bombardment and lastly - mankind itself are continually changing the landscape to which all organisms must adapt. These exogenous shocks to the system keep the rules governing which species is more fit to survive in continuous flux. All evolution is doing is constantly creating new species some of which stick around and some of which do not. To imply that evolution is "efficient" is to suggest that evolution cranks out "better" species today than it did yesterday. Not so. The ongoing creation of new species is entirely random.

In my mind, evolution is nothing more than two chaotic systems with one (life) constantly reacting to the other (earth).
And so we can define another part of a real religion. Fractals. A religion that honors the real god, and that advances mankind by discovering more of god's laws. Fractals and other apects of an honest religion are a threat to pagan religions. Defined by things such as fractals is what religion advocates if it was real, useful, honest, productive, empowering, and relevant.

Evolution is simply another example of god's laws. This time it is called fractals.

Religions that asphyxiate the advancement of mankind and that promote a dead and pagan god also say all facts are only from biblical times. These fools would tell us that god had no more prophets after the bible was written. Nothing more should be learned because the bible contains all god's facts?

Nonsense. This is how luddites were enslaved. Beestie provides examples that were defined by more of god's prophets - Barnsley and Mandelbrot. Beestie demonstrates another chapter in god's laws - fractals.

Of course fractals cannot exist. The bible did not define fractals. Pagan religions and enslaving luddites? Same thing.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #283
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizthefiz
I am just curious as to why Terri was eligible for Medicaid.
I don't know all the rules regarding medical insurance. I spend a lot of my time arguing with mental health insurance companies at work, though.

I will, however, as is my habit, make some guesses that may prove entirely wrong.

Medical Insurance plans have levels of coverage ... they will pay so much per incident, so much per year, and so much if treatment is provided within a particular period of time.

With a catastrophic illness (which can be anything from a condition like Mrs. Schiavo's to cancer to kidney failure) it's not unusual to exhaust private medical insurance benefits.

When a person is disabled by an illness, it becomes possible to seek disability benefits, which can include things like a person under the age of 65 filing for and receiving Medicare (federal) Insurance.

You can exhaust the lifetime benefit your medicare coverage. There is also something called being a 60/60 violator ... if you spend time in inpatient treatment, you have to be OUT for 60 days before you can have another covered event. For most folks this is not a big deal, but for someone with a chronic illness, you are SOL.

That's where Medicaid comes in ... you can file for state benefits as well.

There are other funding streams beyond that, but may not apply in this situation. There is a lot of unfunded care given in all kinds of hospitals. And the hospitals have to eat this. Some years nonprofits are more nonprofit than they should be. Unfunded care is different from Charity care .... these are people who are given services that can't get any kind of coverage or funding. Folks who exhaust their regular insurance benefits are a full billing liability (i.e., a true loss) to the hospital. But, interestingly, you can't refuse to admit someone, or toss them out on their asses just because they don't have insurance benefits remaining ... because if you don't provide the care anyway you risk no longer being able to bill for any medicare payments, even if that patient didn't have medicare to begin with.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:13 AM   #284
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
more likely it is because they are devout catholics (or at least they play them on tv). i think that catholics believe that the cremated will be left without a body when Christ returns and that would be a bad thing. i'm thinking that if Christ really is the Lord of all and everything in the Bible is true - He can probably get around the not having a body bit. IMO
I'm not going to question their devotion to Catholicism, but I will question their judgement letting the likes of Randal Terry turn their difficulties into his circus. The "Culture of Life" that JP2 originally addressed bears only a passing resemblance to what some American Christians have whittled it down to.

Being cremated does not violate Catholic dogma. Traditional Christian burial is strongly encouraged for, from what I gather, historical reasons. Early enemies of Christianity had been known to burn Christians bodies as a psychological attack against believers. According to Catholic teaching the destruction of the body does not impact resurrection.

Lately, the Pope may be pushing his argument too far, pressing for extraordinary means to support life. At some point, you just have to put your life in Gods hands. For me, I think that feeding tubes are pretty ordinary but that personal decision making is why we can't let the nutters like Randal Terry make the call for us.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #285
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Being cremated does not violate Catholic dogma. Traditional Christian burial is strongly encouraged for, from what I gather, historical reasons. Early enemies of Christianity had been known to burn Christians bodies as a psychological attack against believers. According to Catholic teaching the destruction of the body does not impact resurrection.
Well, that is not what they told us - quite vehemently. We were told that if the body was not intact, then there would be no body to rise up to heaven after a second coming of Christ. There was to be no question about this even though some in the class had the nerve to ask.

Also a kidney transplant was a mortal sin as we were told in one kind of pronouncment from Rome. Somehow that is no longer a poltically correct sin.

Even back then, I was having trouble understanding how this could be a fair god. A kidney donated to save a life was a mortal sin? What happens to all those innocent civilians blown to bits by a bomb? They had no body to celebrate the second coming of Christ. How evil was this god?

Is one who is fictional then really evil? They called him doubting Thomas - an ideal we should all aspire to.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote